Mid-size SUV or wagon options

fwafwow

WKR
No tags and time on my hands...

I've been thinking of my next vehicle, which I would like to be both a daily commuter and for outdoor stuff. I drive a sedan as much as possible - except when going hunting - not enough space in the trunk, and there is no clearance for even a gravel road. But when I go hunting, I take my wife's Yukon XL. But for long drives to hunting spots, I always wish I had the sedan when I'm on the highway. I've considered a pickup over the years, but for me the open bed will go unused too much due to my ratio of commuting to hunting.

Wants:
  • Reliable
  • Drive more like a car, but with AWD and a bit more clearance
  • Sporty/quick and nice interior and gizmos
So I'm thinking mid-size SUV, but I'm also for some reason thinking about a wagon. Land Cruiser would be perfect, but the size to me may be too big and like the Yukon XL. Suburu - I just can't do it for looks. So Volvo, Genesis or maybe a GMC smaller SUV. Thoughts?

The new Land Cruiser is basically the Toyota Prado found in Non-US markets. Same as the Lexus GX. Both are smaller than their bigger brothers. Either of these two IMO are where to look. Off road capable, reliable, Lexus will have the Luxury aspect.

The new Land Cruiser is basically the Toyota Prado found in Non-US markets. Same as the Lexus GX. Both are smaller than their bigger brothers. Either of these two IMO are where to look. Off road capable, reliable, Lexus will have the Luxury aspect.
I was trying to remember the foreign label!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The 2024 Land Cruiser looks pretty nice, as does the Lexus GX - alth. I will do some more digging.

dtrkyman

WKR
Grand Cherokee, reliable is hit or Miss though!

I am at 202k without major issues in my 13, it is really capable and fantastic on trails and gravel!

Not up to date on the latest version.

If I had the funds right now I would get a new Land Cruiser no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subaru Crosstrek is what you seek. Headed out tomorrow on a 400 mile drive to start my 10 day antelope hunt in mine. Still plenty of room left and I’ll average 29MPG or so, with a roof box

Loving our new Toyota 4runner. Not sure if that's above the midsize you're looking for though. Has to be a top contender for most reliable vehicle out there. Resale is ridiculously good, but definitely cost more like TxxAgg mentioned.

Subaru (Forester IMO) is the logical answer regardless of whether you like the look.

But I get wanting to love your car. I would look really hard at the RAV4 Hybrid or even better Prime if that’s in your budget.

My wife has a Crosstrek and I have to admit I really like it for its function and MPG. Its our travel vehicle and for that its too small. I really would like for her to get something bigger and based off our experience so far a Forester would be my first pick.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I appreciate all of the input - thanks everyone. I did take a look at the Suburus. While I think they fit the bill on the outdoors side (and would save me some money), I think of them a bit like I do Glocks - excellent tools, but I'd prefer a Sig (etc.) I don't think the Suburus would satisfy my periodic childish need to punch the accelerator, and may not be ideal for some work situations.

So I realized I was looking for a bit of a unicorn - an SUV that drives like a car but also has all of the functions of an SUV for hunting. So my current solution is to focus on the right car to replace Mrs. Fwafwow's Yukon XL (which is over 100k miles, and my sedan is less than half of that). We won't get rid of our cars until we have to, and hers is most likely next on the list. And without kids at home, we know the XL size is overkill.

"Honey, what do you think of that '24 Land Cruiser?" Also keeping the Volvos, Genesis and Lexus on the list. But the LC might be perfect - less $ and less likely she will say "just don't get blood on my car again!"

pirogue

WKR
I think the vehicle my wife just got, checks all your boxes; GMC Yukon XL AT4

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I think the vehicle my wife just got, checks all your boxes; GMC Yukon XL AT4
Thanks, but it's way too big for what I'm seeking. We are on our second GMC Yukon XL. I have liked both, but they both drive like trucks IMHO. Does the XL AT4 differ?

My wife has a 2021 Highlander Limited AWD - drives like a car. MPGs are good, tons of cargo room, you could sleep in the back. It has different modes for different conditions, Mud, Sand, etc. I haven’t taken it off road because she won’t let me, but I have no doubt it would do well. They just came out with a grand highlander that is a little bigger as well.

pirogue

WKR
Thanks, but it's way too big for what I'm seeking. We are on our second GMC Yukon XL. I have liked both, but they both drive like trucks IMHO. Does the XL AT4 differ?
I don’t think it drives like a truck, but my truck is a 2023 GMC Sierra HD AT4, which drives nicely.