Midway Movie!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thing about war movies is if you turned the volume up to approximate the noise level, people would complain about the noise and hearing loss. I think everyone should have to sit through one like that while they pipe in realistic smells.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If that last 20 seconds of the trailer doesn’t get you fired up, you might be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of shame they couldn't find an American actor for the role they gave to Ed Skrein. I like him as an actor but in a movie about a fateful American battle they should have had a yank!

Beendare

WKR
Worth noting that up until the battle of Midway...the Imperial Japanese forces had non stop dominant victories from Pearl Harbor on down the line. Battle after battle island after island we got scrunched. At that point, Midway was one of our last bases...and that was tenuous.

Its hypothesized, if we would have lost Midway...its likely that it would have depleted the US forces so much we would have had to capitulate on some kind of truce to save our west coast giving the Japanese the pacific.

Midway was a huge turning point.

Phaseolus

WKR
Worth noting that up until the battle of Midway...the Imperial Japanese forces had non stop dominant victories from Pearl Harbor on down the line. Battle after battle island after island we got scrunched. At that point, Midway was one of our last bases...and that was tenuous.

Its hypothesized, if we would have lost Midway...its likely that it would have depleted the US forces so much we would have had to capitulate on some kind of truce to save our west coast giving the Japanese the pacific.

Midway was a huge turning point.

You need to read Shattered Sword...We would have won, it just would have taken longer. The idea that Pearl Harbor decimated our fleet is also somewhat false. We lost some old out of date battleships and some smaller ships. The meat of the modern naval force was alive and well in our aircraft carriers. 6 battlewagons, 3 cruisers, 3 destroyers, and 4 auxillary ships were damaged, 2 battleships were destroyed. The truth is our naval forces were not very large or modern at the start of WWII.

Beendare

WKR
Armchair QB'ing Eh? ^

So are you downplaying Midway....when just about every warfare expert agrees it was a game changer?

There is credence to the theory that we essentially outproduced the Japanese- we did and it was a big factor of course.

The facts were; We were getting our ass handed to us up until Midway. If it would have been the reverse, us losing our carriers....the Japanese would have owned the skies in the pacific.

Lets not discount the Japanese fighters--- their resolve was incredible. Thus even when we had them on the ropes they wouldn't quit....so we dropped a couple nukes.

Phaseolus

WKR
Certainly not downplaying Midway. We probably wouldn’t have won at Midway if we hadn’t fought to a draw at Coral Sea. If Zuikaku and Shokaku had been able to fight at Midway it would have been a much tougher nut. If we hadn’t won at Midway we probably wouldn’t have launched the Guadalcanal fight, much less won it And bled the Empire of it’s aviation and pilot assets. We would have won it in the end though regardless.

I saw the movie today and give it a 6/10. Mostly accurate historically, the screenplay tried to develop (educate?) too much of the previous six months which I felt could have been used to tell the story of Midway. Bombers dropping at treetop level and zeros strafing below palm trees and between the battle wagons wasn’t true. It could have been much better.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly not downplaying Midway. We probably wouldn’t have won at Midway if we hadn’t fought to a draw at Coral Sea. If Zuikaku and Shokaku had been able to fight at Midway it would have been a much tougher nut. If we hadn’t won at Midway we probably wouldn’t have launched the G and zeros strafing below palm trees and between the battle wagons wasn’t true. It could have been much better.

I wondered why Zeros would waste bullets shooting at the people filled streets when they had a harbor full of targets.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Certainly not downplaying Midway. We probably wouldn’t have won at Midway if we hadn’t fought to a draw at Coral Sea. If Zuikaku and Shokaku had been able to fight at Midway it would have been a much tougher nut. If we hadn’t won at Midway we probably wouldn’t have launched the Guadalcanal fight, much less won it And bled the Empire of it’s aviation and pilot assets. We would have won it in the end though regardless.

I saw the movie today and give it a 6/10. Mostly accurate historically, the screenplay tried to develop (educate?) too much of the previous six months which I felt could have been used to tell the story of Midway. Bombers dropping at treetop level and zeros strafing below palm trees and between the battle wagons wasn’t true. It could have been much better.
So, you were there then? Sounds like you know exactly where every Japanese plane flew. Pretty harsh review since it wasn't produced to your standards seems like. You should be pretty damn thankful that Hollywood spent any time at all on a WWII film and not on that garbage they've been putting out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wondered why Zeros would waste bullets shooting at the people filled streets when they had a harbor full of targets.

Machine gun bullets bounce off ships for the most part, not many bounce off of people. Let's face it, they were probably gleefully shooting people because that was an immediate reward and feedback. Just like they used to shoot our pilots in their parachutes.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Machine gun bullets bounce off ships for the most part, not many bounce off of people. Let's face it, they were probably gleefully shooting people because that was an immediate reward and feedback. Just like they used to shoot our pilots in their parachutes.

We’re they shooting civilians at Pearl Harbor?

Phaseolus

WKR
So, you were there then? Sounds like you know exactly where every Japanese plane flew. Pretty harsh review since it wasn't produced to your standards seems like. You should be pretty damn thankful that Hollywood spent any time at all on a WWII film and not on that garbage they've been putting out.

Nah, I’m only 60 years old. Raise your hand if you really think Dick Best bounced his plane off of the fore deck of Hiryu?

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
We’re they shooting civilians at Pearl Harbor?

Have you ever read about the rape of Nanjing,aka Nanking? It's just one of the reasons the Chinese hate the Japanese. They killed by most accounts up to 300k civilians. I'll give them this, when they say all's fair in love and war the Japanese took that to heart.