Might be leaving an Elk State to live in Sacramento for a couple years. Punishment from my agency for getting promoted.

Good luck. I quit several jobs when I was a young man so I could hunt. You get older and have more responsibility than a truck payment, well it gets a lot tougher to do that. IF it will allow you to retire before you're 55 like I did, go for it.
I retired from the military 10 years ago. This is career number 2.

Not my dream situation, but there are a lot of things that might make it work. If they offer a big relocation incentive we are going to try it. If they don't, probably just stay in El Paso.

Sac to San Diego will be more than 8 hours.. better fly.

if ur into sitting in traffic and long commutes as well as $5-6 dollar gas then ur good, not to mention rolling blackouts and at least 500k home or rents in the 2-3k a month range than Cali may be for you…. Also, hunting suks here and if ya Fish ur vehicle will be broken into at the parking lots. This is just for starters. :confused:

Sac to San Diego will be more than 8 hours.. better fly.

if ur into sitting in traffic and long commutes as well as $5-6 dollar gas then ur good, not to mention rolling blackouts and at least 500k home or rents in the 2-3k a month range than Cali may be for you…. Also, hunting suks here and if ya Fish ur vehicle will be broken into at the parking lots. This is just for starters. :confused:
And ur Guns will most likely be illegal in Cali too…

I refuse to run down Commifornia. Don’t need to, everyone knows.
My condolences, hop you’re able to escape someday.

Go to Dixon so at least you have access to Pacific Flyway Supplies and Kuiu HQ.

Actually, I only know like 3 ppl from Dixon but they are all pretty dedicated hunters. Maybe that's just cuz I wouldn't ever know anyone else from Dixon unless we met through hunting. Poor sample I guess.

Last edited:
In reality, I'd go north. Get closer to Sutter or Yuba County. Plumas lake, East Nicolas, or Wheatland maybe? I'd rather commute N/S every day than east or west. If you're in Dixon/Davis/W. Sac you are driving into the sun both directions and competing with Bay area traffic on 80. Then if you're north of Sac at least you can hunt/fish without traffic if you head any direction except south.

I'd stay off of the towns on 5 north of Sac (Woodland). To expensive for still having to have the commute.

I would hang myself before moving to Sacramento.

That being said, east of Sac in the foothills is probably the best you will find in the area.

Cannot comment on the above responses (only have visited the state) but once someone moves to CA or is thinking about relocating from CA, go north, not east. Or stay put!

Born and raised in Yuba city CA. It’s about 40 min north of sac. It’s a farming area. Yuba city has grown the last couple years but overall not a bad place to live if you have to live in this hell hole of a state

Born and raised in Yuba city CA. It’s about 40 min north of sac. It’s a farming area. Yuba city has grown the last couple years but overall not a bad place to live if you have to live in this hell hole of a state
Also being a native Yuba City resident, I couldn't have phrased this any better!

Back