Missouri River Breaks

A buddy and myself drew the archery permit north of the river. My question isn’t about spots or elk quality. I’ve read every thread on the breaks I can find on here and other forums. What I’d like to know is the water situation? I’ve read somewhere to not filter the water and pack all your water in. Does anyone have any first hand experience of drinking the water in this area? Also are mulies found all throughout from the river up to the BLM lands? I’ll listen and appreciate any advice

Drank filtered river water for a week on a float trip a few years ago. Didn't think twice about it, and didn't die.

I would still keep a healthy supply of water in your pickup regardless. Not alot of creeks around if it's dry, and only a handful of access points directly to the river on the north side.

Geewhiz

WKR
The river and any flowing creeks can and more than likely will be nasty even when filtered. It will surely keep you alive though. The last time I hunted the breaks I planned on filtering water and my filter, even with a pre filter was plugged by silt within the first few bottles that were filtered. Kinda messed up my hunt. That country is basically made up of silt, very fine silt, so any creeks or rivers aren’t gonna be nice clear water. If you plan on filtering water, bring extra filter cartridges and prefilters and pre prefilters.

OP
Lineman167
Thanks for the advice. I’ll have clean water but will remember extra cartridges and a couple back up filters if needed.

Pack as much water as you can. The water out there is rough. Any legit creek flows through miles and miles of cattle land. That water is more piss than water I think. lol

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We rafted it and brought water but it was hot and we ran out so filtered for 4 days. I used a bucket and let it settle before filtering. Had zero drama.

My buddy lives in Montana was freaked out to drink it because it's known to have large quantities of nitrogen in it from fertilizer. I thought it was crazy being it's the head waters and everyone for a thousand miles down steam drinks it.

Anyways I didn't die

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A buddy and I will be out there north of the river as well archery this year and were wondering the same thing. My plan is to keep plenty of water at the truck and pack in our water. We plan to be mobile and hunt mostly from the truck so we should be able to refill when needed. Praying for little precipitation to miss out on the gumbo!

As far as water. Id bring 1 gallon per day and not plan to use much for water around there. Not much that id like to drink and you cant get far enough from a road to justify bringing more than a days worth anyway.