Mix/Make your own Permethrin Spray - SAVE MONEY

I have done this for years. The kind I always got at CO-OP or TSC had a stronger petroleum smell to it....the Martin's 10 you buy on Amazon has NO smell....or very light. I mix it 1oz of concentrate to 19oz of water. It works great. I spray my clothes for hunting a few days before season and after I've washed them a time or two although they say it will stay on the clothes longer. I've had this bottle of concentrate for 3 years and am only half way through it and it was an investment of $10 or $20.....whereas that much Sawyers would have been hundreds of dollars. Plus it flat out keeps the ticks off of me (knock on wood)

Geoff101

FNG
REMINDER- Tick season is coming...
Tick season is 365 days a year in the NH woods, just about all warm blood animals, including turkeys, are carriers.
Besides Lyme Disease now there is Babesiosis to contend with which is far worse.
I was hospitalized last year with both for 20 days, Not again!

Question: since the .5% is an EPA regulation and we all realize they CYA 6 ways to Friday, can going to 1% still be OK and give a much longer useful life on clothes? I like to spray several at a time and hung in a closet.

Geoff

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Tick season is 365 days a year in the NH woods, just about all warm blood animals, including turkeys, are carriers.
Besides Lyme Disease now there is Babesiosis to contend with which is far worse.
I was hospitalized last year with both for 20 days, Not again!

Question: since the .5% is an EPA regulation and we all realize they CYA 6 ways to Friday, can going to 1% still be OK and give a much longer useful life on clothes? I like to spray several at a time and hung in a closet.

Geoff
I don’t know about the mixture percentages, I just pour some in a spray bottle and go. I spray everything except my underwear and I never put it on my skin. I haven’t had a tick on my skin in years.

McKay Bob

FNG
I bought some off of Amazon after a fishing trip this spring that brought several ticks home. It was like 29 dollars for a gallon. I sprayed it on lots of stuff in our house and the bugs are still dying. I need to look more closely to see the exact concertation of active ingredients. The directions say that you could spray it on clothes and animals.

Geoff101

FNG
I bought Hi-Yield 38 Plus at Dodge Feed and Grain in Salem NH last year, about $35 for a quart that contains 38% Permethrin. Several on line sellers also, some at ridiculous prices! Dilution info included for clothes.

Can you use permethrin on dogs too somehow? We treat our german shepherd with tick treatment but she still seems to get ticks. Though, I am not sure if the treatment stops them from attaching all together or stops them from actually burrowing into the skin?

twall13

WKR
Can you use permethrin on dogs too somehow? We treat our german shepherd with tick treatment but she still seems to get ticks. Though, I am not sure if the treatment stops them from attaching all together or stops them from actually burrowing into the skin?
I've never tried it but Sawyer makes a permethrin spray specifically for dogs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Been mixing my own for years. You may want to take this into consideration though...permethrin ruins goretex and other performance micro fibers, including Sitka fabrics', ability to repel water. The material wets out after applying the permethrin. To get it back to water repelancy again you need to wash it out with nixwax or similar.

FYI A few facts about how messed up Health Canada is considering what ticks can do to humans:

— Permethrin has been approved for use in clothing worn by Canadian military personnel since the 1980s.

—Factory-produced clothing containing permethrin cannot be manufactured or sold in Canada or shipped into the country, though Canadians can bring these items back with other purchases from the U.S. or abroad.

—Permethrin for use on horses and livestock (10% strength) is available in Canada. Many outdoors folk purchase the agricultural-strength version and dilute it for their personal use. *This is what I have to do.*

—The Government of Canada publication on Travel Health and Safety entitled “Insect bite prevention” recommends applying a permethrin insecticide to clothing and other travel gear for greater protection. It also states: “Although permethrin is not available in Canada, travel health clinics can advise you how to purchase permethrin and pre-treated gear before or during your trip.”

Sometimes I cannot believe I live here, there are however monster whitetails and elk.

Grace859

FNG
Thanks for sharing! If only I would have saw this before I bought some awhile back. Guess this will be a next year project.

Voyageur

WKR
This might help answer a few of your questions.