Montana combo leftovers/alternate list

TheCougar

WKR
So in 2019, we were unsuccessful in the main draw for elk combo. There was some sort of leftover draw on the website at 5am a few weeks later and we managed to snag leftover combo tags. This was totally separate from the alternate list, which we tried and failed at for deer. When I check the “surplus” licenses for MT, it appears to have changed to a random system and is only for LE licenses. Is my 2019 experience no longer valid and it has switched to an alternate list only random draw, or is the “surplus” list also for NR combo licenses? I read the both relevant sections on the Montana FWP website and it still isn’t crystal clear, and I’d hate to miss an outside chance at an elk tag. Thanks all.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thank you. I kind of figured it had moved to a randomized list and no longer the early bird gets the worm. Bummer. I liked my chances at 0500...

CMF

WKR
How far down the alternates list did they make it last year, any idea?

Don't they let you know your number?

I have a buddy that wants to get a tag to go with us.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I read that you will know your spot on the list, but I'm not positive as this will be my first time through it as well. Your buddy can also look into an Elk B license if that's an option in the area you're looking to go. Good luck!

How far down the alternates list did they make it last year, any idea?

Don't they let you know your number?

I have a buddy that wants to get a tag to go with us.
they tried to give me an alternate tag twice last year after I turned in a combo tag if that tells you anything and I was well down the list. Not sure why I even signed up looking back on it.

HalfmanB

FNG
I drew on alternates for elk at like 350 something. I’ve heard people drawing deer alternates in the 600’s

bsnedeker

WKR
What’s the odds of getting drawn before archery season? Just curious if anyone has
Leftovers will absolutely be done before archery season. I think it happens in mid July...not exactly sure.

Alternates kind of happen as they happen as far as I can tell (I'm a resident so I don't know a lot of details). Some people get picked before archery, some are announced later. Last year they announced there were a handful of alternate tags that were available the last week of rifle season!

i drew combo tag a week into rifle season at 695 last year. if your below 250 on the list i would say your chances are good before archery. if not then you prob wont. they are suppose to make a better system though.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
What’s the odds of getting drawn before archery season? Just curious if anyone has
I believe they release the list on 15 July, at which point you can see you position in the lottery. Anything below 1000 has a shot at getting a tag, although it varies yearly and you can’t predict it. The lower numbers will get drawn earlier in the season, with the later numbers getting drawn closer to rifle opener. A couple of years ago I had a mule deer alternate and I think they went through about 1000 tags, though I could be wrong.

DBL-Lung

FNG
Hi All,

Brand new here but have been following and reading posts for a year or so. I usually try and hunt in my home state of Arizona but Elk tags are pretty difficult to draw on a yearly basis and our OTC is slim to none. So this year I found out about the Montana alternate list on like June 29 so I jumped on it; found out yesterday I was in the mid 100's so I am pretty pumped. I am hoping that's low enough to grab a tag.

I still don't know what to expect so I am trying to research the specifics of the seasons and units in Montana. Anyone have any advice? I still need to read through Montana Fish and Games specifics but just seeing if anyone can add a little assistance.

Thanks,

j_volt

WKR
Hi All,

Brand new here but have been following and reading posts for a year or so. I usually try and hunt in my home state of Arizona but Elk tags are pretty difficult to draw on a yearly basis and our OTC is slim to none. So this year I found out about the Montana alternate list on like June 29 so I jumped on it; found out yesterday I was in the mid 100's so I am pretty pumped. I am hoping that's low enough to grab a tag.

I still don't know what to expect so I am trying to research the specifics of the seasons and units in Montana. Anyone have any advice? I still need to read through Montana Fish and Games specifics but just seeing if anyone can add a little assistance.

Thanks,
Congrats on your lost position! General tags can be used in general units during the general seasons. If your personal situation allows, you could archery hunt in September and return in October or November with a rifle if your tag isn’t filled. Besides that, remember that these tags are OTC for residents so to be successful, you need to be different than the average Joe. Good luck!

Usi05

WKR
I believe they release the list on 15 July, at which point you can see you position in the lottery. Anything below 1000 has a shot at getting a tag, although it varies yearly and you can’t predict it. The lower numbers will get drawn earlier in the season, with the later numbers getting drawn closer to rifle opener. A couple of years ago I had a mule deer alternate and I think they went through about 1000 tags, though I could be wrong.

And I’m like 1005 or something. Still crossing my fingers after the draws were all cruel to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I'm headed to Colorado for OTC I didn't have no problem getting a tag las year for Montana but this year everyone decided to go elk hunting

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck to all! I was #498 last year and was notified the first week of September that it was my turn to purchase a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk