Montana Missouri River Breaks Elk

I was lucky enough to draw a Rifle tag in the breaks this year. I've only hunted Elk on the west side of Montana and over the years I have learned the dates that I certainly prefer to hunt during Archery season. With that being said, what is everyone's favorite times to Elk hunt in Breaks country? I've heard from some that Early October is usually a good time with a bow as the Rut tends to be in full swing and the temps are cooler. I've got two weeks of Vacation I plan to use and I'm planning to use one week for Archery and one week for Rifle opener (if unsuccessful with a bow). I also have a 17ft boat that I've thought about bringing with to use to access some areas from Fort Peck. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only hunter doing this but I thought it might get me into some harder to access spots potentially. Hoping to do a couple scouting trips this summer as well to find all of the road access points that I can.

WCB

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw a Rifle tag in the breaks this year. I've only hunted Elk on the west side of Montana and over the years I have learned the dates that I certainly prefer to hunt during Archery season. With that being said, what is everyone's favorite times to Elk hunt in Breaks country? I've heard from some that Early October is usually a good time with a bow as the Rut tends to be in full swing and the temps are cooler. I've got two weeks of Vacation I plan to use and I'm planning to use one week for Archery and one week for Rifle opener (if unsuccessful with a bow). I also have a 17ft boat that I've thought about bringing with to use to access some areas from Fort Peck. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only hunter doing this but I thought it might get me into some harder to access spots potentially. Hoping to do a couple scouting trips this summer as well to find all of the road access points that I can.
Usually the main problem with any of the breaks units is with archery being able to get close enough in some of the open country and/or the elk hunkering into the willows. I have a buddy and his dad that hunt it every 3-4 years as non-residents with a bow.

Your boat idea is the same idea as A LOT of guys...nothing is hard to access in the area just how far back from the access you want to get or how far back the elk are. Some areas are 10-15 miles of public from the river to the next access point by road/land.

OP
MTHunter10
Usually the main problem with any of the breaks units is with archery being able to get close enough in some of the open country and/or the elk hunkering into the willows. I have a buddy and his dad that hunt it every 3-4 years as non-residents with a bow.

Your boat idea is the same idea as A LOT of guys...nothing is hard to access in the area just how far back from the access you want to get or how far back the elk are. Some areas are 10-15 miles of public from the river to the next access point by road/land.
That's good info, I may ditch the boat idea then. No sense trailering it 6 hours if it isn't really advantageous to do so.