Montana muzzleloader season

I was a muzzleloader hunter up until I moved to Montana from Washington some eight years ago. Sadly they do not offer any kinda muzzleloader season here. I was surprised just because this is such a big hunting state and every other state has some kinda muzzleloader season. What are your thoughts on if Montana was to implement a muzzleloader season for deer, elk, and antelope? Why would you be for or against it? Thanks all and let’s keep this civil.

I am a Montana resident and also own a Muzzleloader and I’m not in favor of a ML season. The state has a select few restricted weapon areas where one could use a Muzzleloader as a means of taking game but i think the way our season is structured it’s not favorable for another weapon choice. Especially when you factor in the debate of primitive ML compared to modern ML’s, where would the line get drawn then?

If anything I’d like to see an archery only tag open up in some of the limited entry deer units. Maybe even give hunters the chance to hunt deer in velvet in early August and even out some of the steeper draw odds

I plan on packing my Knight Ultra Lite this season and will be off all next week to go hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Nothing against MLs but opposed for a few reasons:
-"need" to buy another gun, gear, practice, etc..
-already part of weapons restricted areas
-you can use one during rifle season if'n you want to
-honest question: what would be gained? Is the thought that limited range, etc, give critters a fighting chance, like archery?

My opinion only: I'd rather see another week of archery, one less week of rifle. Totally selfish reasons.

Cowbell

WKR
The problem with ML seasons are:
1)Much higher occurrence of injured game due to hunters not knowing their equipment and limits.
2)An overwhelming amount of hunters that just use a modern high powered rifle.

OP
western406
Nothing against MLs but opposed for a few reasons:
-"need" to buy another gun, gear, practice, etc..
-already part of weapons restricted areas
-you can use one during rifle season if'n you want to
-honest question: what would be gained? Is the thought that limited range, etc, give critters a fighting chance, like archery?

My opinion only: I'd rather see another week of archery, one less week of rifle. Totally selfish reasons.
For me I don’t live near any weapon restricted areas. Also it’s rifle season so i’m not going to handicap myself with the ol smokepole. Now there is a few folks out there who still pursue game in Montana with one and I applaud you. Similar to people hunting traditional archery. I think foremost, it’s an overall fairness across the board for ML guys. I loved it for the challenge,( one shot, limited range) but also just how quiet the woods are. Not like the pumpkin patch it was this past weekend.

OP
western406
1)Much higher occurrence of injured game due to hunters not knowing their equipment and limits.
One could easily make the same argument for archery. I love bow hunting myself and it’s my absolute favorite time to be out hunting. But I’ve came across plenty of rotting elk with arrows in them. I even quartered a bull last year that had an arrow broke off in him from the year prior. Truly amazing how tough these animals are. (I’ll see if i can’t find the picture) I’ve also seen plenty of elk crippled from rifle hunters also.
As other states do, restrictions would be put in place and limit the effectiveness of modern muzzleloaders. What’s to stop those same guys from using a rifle or crossbow during archery then? I don’t consider poachers to be hunters or conservationists.

Tradchef

WKR
I shoot trad and I don’t feel like it’s a handicap. I try to hunt areas that the general populous either won’t be in or use walk in areas with no motorized access or knock on some doors and try private land hunting with it. Lots of options even though there isn’t a specific season

MT257

WKR
Implementing a muzzleloader season is just an opening of the door to having other specific seasons. Such as trad archery season then a regular archery season. Muzzleloader season then a rifle season. Keep it how it is otherwise it’ll turn into a big cluster

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider

This argument can be made for archery too. Speaking from my experience here in Colorado, I've found so many archery wounded, lost and wasted elk that I've lost count. My particular unit had always been an OTC unit for archery elk (it changed this year to a unit you have to draw an archery tag, and I'm happy to see that) and the number of yahoos that pick up a bow and set out to fling arrows without doing their due diligence just because they could get out on an early season OTC tag was astounding.

As a disclaimer, and as a ML hunter, I've never hunted in Montana, but think having a dedicated ML season could be good. Whether its a stand alone season, or falls concurrently with archery season for a week like it does here in CO (cue the archery guys bitching and moaning about that) it could spark interest for dedicated ML hunters and generate more revenue for the state's game department to help with conservation.

Because no one does either of these with a bow or rifle?

Implementing a muzzleloader season is just an opening of the door to having other specific seasons. Such as trad archery season then a regular archery season. Muzzleloader season then a rifle season. Keep it how it is otherwise it’ll turn into a big cluster

Because all other states that have a ml season have a traditional archery season

MT257

WKR
Because all other states that have a ml season have a traditional archery season

What I am saying is by opening a specific season for muzzleloader only opens the door to more “specific” seasons. Not trying to refer to other states. I’d the OP is so gung ho about muzzleloader season go somewhere with one. Like the post above says it was like this where I came from now I moved here. Well if ya liked the seasons they had there go hunt there or don’t move to where season structures don’t cater to your wants.

What I am saying is by opening a specific season for muzzleloader only opens the door to more “specific” seasons. Not trying to refer to other states. I’d the OP is so gung ho about muzzleloader season go somewhere with one. Like the post above says it was like this where I came from now I moved here. Well if ya liked the seasons they had there go hunt there or don’t move to where season structures don’t cater to your wants.

Some people cant move based on hunting seasons and regs, and i dont think you would want all elk hunters living in a few states out west. Some people are just scared of change. I have never seen the phobias like those exhibited towards nonresidents by those who live in the west and hunt elk.