Pistol sidearm for muzzleloader elk

taskswap

WKR
Just curious about folks' thoughts here. I'm planning on focusing on muzzleloader this year and up until now all I've brought was my main rifle. Do any of you muzzy hunters also carry a (muzzleloader) pistol either for a finishing shot or just as a backup?

Phaseolus

WKR
You left out which State. A finishing shot with a pistol is not legal during muzzleloader in Colorado. We don’t have Grizz so an additional weight is not needed either.

Kurts86

WKR
No it ends up being an extra 2-3 lbs of gear I don’t need to carry during a high output, high elevation hunt.

Overdrive

WKR
I'd check with the Wildlife agency in the state you're going to hunt, since you're looking at carrying a muzzle loader pistol you may still have to follow certain caliber guidelines. In Colorado for example it would still have to be a minimum of 50 cal for elk.

I carry a handgun no matter what manner of take I'm hunting, but like mentioned you can't finish off an animal with a pistol if you have an archery or muzzle loader tag in your pocket.

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
You left out which State. A finishing shot with a pistol is not legal during muzzleloader in Colorado. We don’t have Grizz so an additional weight is not needed either.
Good point, I suppose the question is only relevant somewhere a sidearm might be wanted/needed like one of the states with grizz. Although I'm not sure I'd want to face a grizz with a black powder pistol given what Lewis and Clark reported about them...

I have carried a .44 cap and ball 1858 New Model Army revolver (modern replica of a civil car era).

They are a lot of fun to shoot, and make great range toys! They are fairly accurate to 25 yards, but only about as powerful as a .380 auto, and fairly heavy to carry.

The three most popular modern models are made by Pietta, there is a 5.5" barrel "Sheriff's" version that is the most practical to carry strong side hip, the more authentic 7.5" barrel that is more practical for cross draw, and the 12" "buffalo" version that is not very practical at all.

That being said, of course you'll have to check the state's game regs to see what is and is not kosher.

Note, there are numerous versions also based on the metal used, brass is cheapest but the least durable, blued steel is durable and more historically authentic, but the more prices stainless steel revolvers with real wood grips are gorgeous!

WKR
The only reason I can see to carry a muzzleloader pistol in muzzleloader hunting season is for the historical look and feel. It might be a romantic link to the past, like wearing a buckskin hunting shirt or something.

That's a very important consideration for some muzzleloading enthusiasts and of no importance at all to others.

I've been known to carry a Bowie for a similar reason. Practicality be damned. Liver Eatin' Johnson carried one.

The only reason I can see to carry a muzzleloader pistol in muzzleloader hunting season is for the historical look and feel. It might be a romantic link to the past, like wearing a buckskin hunting shirt or something.

That's a very important consideration for some muzzleloading enthusiasts and of no importance at all to others.

I've been known to carry a Bowie for a similar reason. Practicality be damned. Liver Eatin' Johnson carried one.
This is what I like to carry when I'm feeling it:

Cap and Ball rifle, Cap and Ball revolver, Stag-handled Bowie blade, and a real powder horn filled with real black powder:IMG_0302.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0302.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
Let's be honest here, we're justifying the purchase of a new toy. Practicality is not the driving force. :D

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t see the need for the ML pistol. Never a bad idea to have a centerfire for two legged things. I hunt solo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
taskswap

taskswap

WKR
If you use a black powder pistol for defense against 2-legged creatures, is there a law or regulation requiring you to say "yarrrr" when you draw it?

If you use a black powder pistol for defense against 2-legged creatures, is there a law or regulation requiring you to say "yarrrr" when you draw it?
depends on the jurisdiction.

where maritime law applies Pirate Code Section 42 does require that.

but in the mountain west the law requires one to yell “Yippie-Kay-yay Mfer!”