Montana or British Columbia spring bear archery

I’m interested in a guided spot and stalk archery hunt this spring. I’m new to bear hunting and have been doing my best to sort through the info already posted on this fantastic forum. For spot and stalk, it seems the best options are British Columbia or Montana.

A few questions for those with experience:

1. Which destination for spring bears is generally preferred? BC or Montana? Any other desired locations where it’s spot and stalk only?

2. I’m looking for a smaller outfit, and more of a physically demanding hunt. I don’t need nor want fancy accommodations. Any guide/outfitter recommendations?

3. Although tough to predict and not necessary for a fantastic hunt experience, roughly what are spot and stalk archery success rates for these types of guided hunts?

Thanks for all who post on this forum, I’ve learned a lot already.

BC no comparison. It’s not even close. Vancouver Island is where you want to go If you’re looking for big heads, big bears.

A cancelation hunt is most likely your only chance.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
BC is great, and as covey said, at this point, getting into a cancellation hunt is probably your only option. Good outfitters are already booked up. Check out the Guide and outfitters association of BC website, https://www.goabc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/MH2023Directory.pdf for a list of outfitters in different regions on BC. I’ve recommended Pacific Bear Outfitters on here a few times. They are great. They can do hunts based on whatever physical challenge or lack of the hunter wants. Guides always prefer gun hunters, but they do take archery hunters. I recommend calling a few outfitters and talking to them.

House21

FNG
Agree with calgaryguy, Alberta has a ton of bears lots of colour phase bears as well if that’s something you’re looking for. I know where I hunt in Alberta it isn’t really physically demanding, but your chances of stalking a bear everyday or multiple times a day are pretty great

Agree with calgaryguy, Alberta has a ton of bears lots of colour phase bears as well if that’s something you’re looking for. I know where I hunt in Alberta it isn’t really physically demanding, but your chances of stalking a bear everyday or multiple times a day are pretty great
Which WMU is that? I would love to check it out!

House21

FNG
357 & 356 GP area. 356 definitely has more bears but there’s still quite a few in 357 as well. I grew up back east and my first day out bear hunting after moving we stalked more bears than I’d ever seen lol

357 & 356 GP area. 356 definitely has more bears but there’s still quite a few in 357 as well. I grew up back east and my first day out bear hunting after moving we stalked more bears than I’d ever seen lol
Ah ok I see, very nice! Thats pretty amazing!

BearGuy

FNG
Spot and stalk archery in Montana would be a big challenge but people do it every year. From what I’ve heard and seen, BC would have a higher success rate for that specific type of hunt.

Trial153

WKR
Easy choice BC for sure. BC is by far my favorite place to do a spot a stalk spring bear hunt, even over Alaska.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, I ended up booking Pacific Bear Outfitters in BC, based on recommendations on this forum. I look forward to posting feedback after the hunt this coming May.

Thanks again to all who post on here, have learned a lot!
Cool deal. You’ll have a blast. Post about your hunt when you get back.

OP
M
Afternoon guys, just got back from the archery spring bear hunt in British Columbia. Thank you again for all the input, both public and in direct messages. I learned a lot and thought I'd share the experience in case anyone else was looking to do similar.

I hunted with Pacific Bear Outfitters, north of Whistler on the mainland of BC. Camp was great, food was good, and the guides were both excellent hunters and fun guys to talk with. I had two archery opportunities during the week, which was a bit more difficult than expected. I scared one boar off at 80 yards by being too loud. I did manage to connect on a small, old sow however at 55 yards for my first bear! Not the size I was looking for, but got to start somewhere!

The hunting itself was a bit different than expected. There was some hiking, but majority was driving logging roads, and glassing recent clear cuts. One doesn't need to be in great physical shape to do this hunt.

It may have been my specific outfitter/region, but most of the hunters in this area were rifle guys. It was just set up a bit better for rifle. In a lot of the slides we were glassing from 400+ yards away. If guys are looking to do archery, I heard from several folks privately that Vancouver Island is a much better option than the mainland. Higher density of bears, and one can get closer on the island. That said, successful archery it is still possible on the mainland, just harder. And if you bring a rifle, the mainland and Pacific Bear Outfitters would be a great option.

One final note, the bears shot in our spring camp had almost zero fat on them. I was looking forward to using bear fat for cooking and other uses. For those seeking similar, a fall hunt may be better suited.

Again, I'm new to this but wanted to contribute back as much as I could to this wonderful community. Happy to answer any questions and DM's open. Thanks guysBear 1.jpgBear 2.jpgBear 3.jpg

young7.3

WKR
Awesome! Congrats on the bear. If you dont mind, what did the hunt run you?

We just got back from Vancouver island two weeks ago for a vacation. Gorgeous place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone considering a spring hunt in BC, I would not recommend an April hunt, especially on the mainland. It's still very spotty and I think you are really shorting yourself of a world class hunt.

Here on south/ central Vancouver Island, we are typically the first to start seeing bears. Very common to only see 2-3 bears a weekend in April, even the first week of May on real cold wet years. Compare that to 15-30 bears in a weekend by 2nd week of May.

If I had to spend $6k US on a week of bear hunting, I would be waiting until at least 2nd week of May (if hunting Van Island) and 3rd-4th week of May, preferably early June on the mainland.

Either way, the later in the season you go means fair weather and more bears. Another thing to consider. Bears will be exhibiting rutting behavior in June. Bigger boars are on the move.

In my opinion (based on years of VI spring bear hunting) regardless of mainland/island your best chance at seeing more bears and more large bears come down to 2 things.

1. Hunt remote area with challenging access.

2. Hunt as late in the spring season as possible.

Last edited:

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone considering a spring hunt in BC, I would not recommend an April hunt, especially on the mainland. It's still very spotty and I think you are really shorting yourself of a world class hunt.

Here on south/ central Vancouver Island, we are typically the first to start seeing bears. Very common to only see 2-3 bears a weekend in April, even the first week of May on real cold wet years. Compare that to 15-30 bears in a weekend by 2nd week of May.

If I had to spend $6k US on a week of bear hunting, I would be waiting until at least 2nd week of May (if hunting Van Island) and 3rd-4th week of May, preferably early June on the mainland.

Either way, the later in the season you go means fair weather and more bears. Another thing to consider. Bears will be exhibiting rutting behavior in June. Bigger boars are on the move.

In my opinion (based on years of VI spring bear hunting) regardless of mainland/island your best chance at seeing more bears and more large bears come down to 2 things.

1. Hunt remote area with challenging access.

2. Hunt as late in the spring season as possible.
Thanks for the input. You live on VI?