Montana season change proposal

Anyone seen this?

A buddy sent me some screen shots. I haven't been able to see the full document. Anyone have it handy? I found a thread on Newburgs forum by one of the committee members.

Not gunna lie boys it looks freaking awesome!!!

They're wanting to open archery on August 25 and run it through September 31.
October is rifle elk and mule deer.
November is cow elk and whitetails.

The committee is looking at ways to reduce pressure. Which the state desperately needs. They're also trying to combat low mule deer numbers and the low quality of mulie bucks.

I'm hoping it goes through because late August and the first week of Sept would be lit for elk! Residents might have a chance before our honey holes get raped by droves of non residents. A real solid chance at mature bulls going crazy on wallows. Also for velvet bucks on their summer pattern.

I wish they'd have that week in august for trad only. That'd be a huge boon for trad boys.

Also having November for just whitetail guys would be great. Let all the guys from Washington and Kalispell smash forken horn mulies in October along the Hi-Line then enjoy lower pressure in November.

Something's gotta change up. Might be a step in the right direction if they go this route.
945523b187963ce9a1a8494fecd50426.jpg

e200be5f76e8054eb84668429ff8243d.jpg

Oregon opened like Aug 23rd a few years again.
They are hard horned, all patterns are off, and the bulls just sneak in really quietly and take like 45 min to come in.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you need to edit your post a bit—
"They're wanting to open archery on August 25 and run it through September 31.

November is cow elk and whitetails."

I'm reading November for rifle elk and October for cow elk (two weeks, private land only)

Wonder what the premise is on shortening the elk season; we have good elk numbers (too good in some areas).

I could be wrong, but I think there will be some pushback on getting rid of the full five week rifle season structure- we've had it for eons and it's been proposed to change in the past w/o success. I think you might convince folks on getting rid of the mule deer in the rut stuff though, less so on the general elk season.

Cow licenses and permits should be tightly limited on public ground - I think it needs to be based on the population in that hunting district—simply, over objective—give out cow tags, under objective—don't give out cow tags OR even simpler yet—over objective make it either sex, under objective brow tine bull only.

The mule deer are definitely in need of attention, they've take the first step in severely cutting mule deer doe tags. More can be done for sure.

Last edited:

Tdonat

FNG
I’m all for lowering pressure on the mule deer heard at this point but I don’t really see this being the way to go. I think a better place to start would be cutting back on the 76,000 non resident tags they sell every year, making NR pick a unit and not a general anywhere you want to go tag.
Nothing against the NR hunters, but cutting back tags would be a good start.
Unfortunately that will never happen because the MT FWP would be able to slide all that money into their pockets.

Schaaf

WKR
I am one of the people that came up with this proposal and I’d be happy to address any questions. There has been a pretty robust discussion on the proposal on Hunt Talk as well that would be worth a browse.

Attachments

• Montana Hunting Season Proposal for 2026-2027.pdf
    944.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting mule deer during the rut is so much fun. Would suck to see that go away. Maybe cutting tags would be better? I dunno, either reduce opportunity or shift the season for less success %. Pick your poison

fatlander

WKR
For a state that’s picked up 400k residents since 1980, and has projections for 200k more in the next 20 years, it’s definitely the nonresidents fault. It has to be, seeing as NR big game tags have been statutorily capped since the aforementioned population boom happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finner

Lil-Rokslider
For a state that’s picked up 400k residents since 1980, and has projections for 200k more in the next 20 years, it’s definitely the nonresidents fault. It has to be, seeing as NR big game tags have been statutorily capped since the aforementioned population boom happened.

And FWP religiously adheres to that cap, right?

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I could be wrong, but I think there will be some pushback on getting rid of the full six week rifle season structure- we've had it for eons and it's been proposed to change in the past w/o success. I think you might convince folks on getting rid of the mule deer in the rut stuff though, less so on the general elk season.

Montana has always had a 5 week rifle season.

Marshfly

WKR
The pick species and unit for residents sucks. Myself and everyone I know hunts near home all season with a decent "vacation" trip planned somewhere else. Also, youth should be allowed to keep doing what they do now if not with less restrictions. Elk on youth weekend for example. You want more next generation hunters then give them as much opportunity for a fun successful hunt as possible.

The statutory cap on NR combination licenses does not include the hunt district allocations of B tags for deer or elk. So, it is true there are far more than 16k NR hunters because NR can buy the surplus B tags OTC.

Unfortunately, it is my prediction the NR Hunter will be a red herring issue that will prevent meaningful change to mule deer seasons in MT. Sure, it’s fun to rifle hunt mule deer in the rut BUT there is a reason every other Rocky Mountain state controls rut hunting buck mule deer via limited entry.

You can’t have a five week general rifle season that runs through Thanksgiving and expect to maintain quality deer hunting.

The cynical me expects that everyone will want to defend their piece of the pie and nothing will change, because it always “everyone else’s fault and I shouldn’t have to give anything up”. Already this thread is taking that approach.

Completely cut NR tags with no other changes and you’ll be looking at the same sorry situation in five years with a more expensive tag to show for it.

Kudos to the committee for taking the time to address the pink elephant in the room.

Last edited:

finner

Lil-Rokslider
It’s nonresidents fault that your own bureaucrats violate your state code? Come on now.

Nope, it's definitely FWP's fault. And our dysfunctional legislature doesn't exactly help.

But the effect of nonresidents on MT big game populations isn't exactly proportional to the statutory cap.

The pick species and unit for residents sucks. Myself and everyone I know hunts near home all season with a decent "vacation" trip planned somewhere else. Also, youth should be allowed to keep doing what they do now if not with less restrictions. Elk on youth weekend for example. You want more next generation hunters then give them as much opportunity for a fun successful hunt as possible.
It sucks for NR to ya know.

cgasner1

WKR
I think you need to edit your post a bit—
"They're wanting to open archery on August 25 and run it through September 31.

November is cow elk and whitetails."

I'm reading November for rifle elk and October for cow elk (two weeks, private land only)

Wonder what the premise is on shortening the elk season; we have good elk numbers (too good in some areas).

I could be wrong, but I think there will be some pushback on getting rid of the full six week rifle season structure- we've had it for eons and it's been proposed to change in the past w/o success. I think you might convince folks on getting rid of the mule deer in the rut stuff though, less so on the general elk season.

Cow licenses and permits should be tightly limited on public ground - I think it needs to be based on the population in that hunting district—simply, over objective—give out cow tags, under objective—don't give out cow tags OR even simpler yet—over objective make it either sex, under objective brow tine bull only.

The mule deer are definitely in need of attention, they've take the first step in severely cutting mule deer doe tags. More can be done for sure.
That bull in the picture I killed in Wyoming on a 5pt or less tag I sent it to the group as a example of some of the stuff other states are doing to help lower elk numbers in over objective areas. The group of people we put together for this consisted of people from all across the state we had a representative from each region as well as outfitters and land owners. We tried to give everyone a voice. While this was not my dream season I do support it. It’s pretty easy to come up with a structure you may seem as better in your eyes but I guarantee I can find issues with it just as some of you will with ours.