Montana Tag Confusion Help

stagliano

FNG
That chart does not make any sense?

Raw numbers, 17,000 elk tags for NR. 4600 of those tags will include a deer license. That would be 12,400 elk combo licences, 4,600 big game combos.

According to the chart they gave out 13,688 big game combo (deer and elk) and 3345 elk combo (elk only).

I'm having a difficult time understanding this as well. If there is a maximum of 4600 NR Deer Licences, wouldn't the most Big Game Combos they would be able to sell be capped at 4600?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
People seem to have this really confused. The 4600 deer only tags are in addition to the quota of big game combo tags (17000). Think about it.... why would they have less deer tags available than elk tags when there's 4 times more deer than elk in the state.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blinn

FNG
Oh my word....if you are looking for answers to how the MT draw system works for elk, stay away from this thread! Mass confusion:)! It is getting pretty late in the game to have zero understanding of how the system works. Call the MT Game and Fish to get answers. The process is not as confusing as people make it out to be. Make some phone calls. Actually read through the application guide, and get everything figured out prior to the week of the application deadline.

dukhunt

FNG
Oh my word....if you are looking for answers to how the MT draw system works for elk, stay away from this thread! Mass confusion:)! It is getting pretty late in the game to have zero understanding of how the system works. Call the MT Game and Fish to get answers. The process is not as confusing as people make it out to be. Make some phone calls. Actually read through the application guide, and get everything figured out prior to the week of the application deadline.

😂 😂
You sir made me laugh. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

OP
Airborne1

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
No matter if you read it the day it was published or a week prior to applying... It's still a bit confusing. If the thread helped some people get it straightened out, mission accomplished.
The non residents don't read those same regulations every year, and if it's their first time going to Montana it can be difficult to understand. Yes make a phone call and ask questions it is a fast solution.

jmez

WKR
You can call the local third grade class and get more help than you will by calling Mt Fish and Game.

I've called them several times. You get a different answer from everyone you talk too, if they can even give you an answer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
People seem to have this really confused. The 4600 deer only tags are in addition to the quota of big game combo tags (17000). Think about it.... why would they have less deer tags available than elk tags when there's 4 times more deer than elk in the state.

Even with that they still issue almost twice as many elk tags.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I follow you there. If the chart information posted above is correct, (which I haven't verified and don't know where it came from), the count is more deer than elk. If, for instance, all 17000 went to big game combo, thats 17000 elk and deer license, then an additional 4600 deer only license would be sold, that's still more deer.

The confusions is real! The MT application process is the most i've read since The Cat in the Hat.

Seriously though like Blinn said as much as it sucks to read, the fish and game website is the best resource. They're always just a phone call away if you have any questions. From my experience calling them is extremely helpful, but do your research prior to calling.

Trial153

WKR
Montana’s system sucks, period. There is no reason for it to be so overly complicated.

fatlander

WKR
There a 17,000 big game tags allocated.

There are an additional 4,600 deer only tags allocated.

Whether you pick elk or elk+deer for the big game combo makes no difference for drawing. It only hits your credit card different.

Every non resident that draws an elk tag really draws an elk+deer tag. They just opted to not spend the extra 150 for the deer tag they drew.

If your friend doesn’t draw one of the 17,000 big game combos, they’re not hunting elk unless they are able to buy a turned in tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rbonsen

FNG
It went pretty smoothly for me. I read, I called, then waited two hours on hold. I talked to a very pleasant gal who told me I would not likely draw without paying extra for the PP. I figured $50 was small price to pay when applying as a party. Now we wait.....I appreciated that I could apply for everyone at once and save the hassle. It was actually easier than applying in WA where I live. With all that being said, I didn't attempt a permit area either.

jmez

WKR

Whether you pick elk or elk+deer for the big game combo makes no difference for drawing. It only hits your credit card different.

Every non resident that draws an elk tag really draws an elk+deer tag. They just opted to not spend the extra 150 for the deer tag they drew.

If your friend doesn’t draw one of the 17,000 big game combos, they’re not hunting elk unless they are able to buy a turned in tag.

That makes sense and isn't how I thought they allocated the tags.

krojemann

WKR
It went pretty smoothly for me. I read, I called, then waited two hours on hold. I talked to a very pleasant gal who told me I would not likely draw without paying extra for the PP. I figured $50 was small price to pay when applying as a party. Now we wait.....I appreciated that I could apply for everyone at once and save the hassle. It was actually easier than applying in WA where I live. With all that being said, I didn't attempt a permit area either.
She told you without a preference point you likely wouldn't draw a Big Game Combo? Or an Elk Combo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rbonsen

FNG
She told you without a preference point you likely wouldn't draw a Big Game Combo? Or an Elk Combo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Her advice was that the big game combos have sold out the past two years, and that they were not guaranteed. From what she said, it sounded like for a first time applicant my odds weren't that good without it. Maybe I misunderstood her and donated $50....

Wackedo

FNG

Yep, that’s how I understood it from reading the regs. No offense to the OP, but I’m glad I didn’t see this thread before I submitted my application. I would have been confused!

MtGomer

WKR
You can call the local third grade class and get more help than you will by calling Mt Fish and Game.

I've called them several times. You get a different answer from everyone you talk too, if they can even give you an answer.

Competence makes a person unfit to work in licensing at FWP

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
Does that big game combo allow you to take both an elk and a deer or is it just one or the other?