MONTANA TO TEXAS - a possible move

Hnthrdr

WKR
I tried to move up to Laramie/Cheyenne last year, but it was damn near as expensive as CO, so you've got me for at least one more year.
As a word of caution I would take Laramie and push up as close to the snowies as you can, that wind is brutal! Cheyenne is a hard pass… but yeah prices aren’t a whole lot different than Loveland/ Foco

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
My quick advice. If land and houses are cheaper, there usually is a reason. I grew up in the Midwest and live in CO now. Sure, I could sell my house, buy 20 acres and build a 5k square foot house for the same money. Why though? To show a big house? At your age chasing greener grass might seem like the right thing to do. I magine in Montana you will see more Texas plates driving around than Montana plates in Texas. Go visit in the summer and see if you can handle it. Once you move, chances of getting priced out of Montana will happen fast. Much faster than east Texas. Good luck with your decision!
I'd rather have a 1000sf house on a 100 acres!

I cant imagine living in a subdivision or not being able to hunt or shoot your bow or rifle in your back yard. I don't want to be able to see, hear or smell my neighbors!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Where you moving to? I'm retiring in about 5 years and looking for a new resting spot myself. I do like SW CO, but the politics there look like the state is going downhill pretty quick.
Yeah, but we need all the help we can get, I normally say Co is full, but to me it’s only full for the gov loving liberal idiots, need more small gov, conservative minded folks in the state!

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but we need all the help we can get, I normally say Co is full, but to me it’s only full for the gov loving liberal idiots, need more small gov, conservative minded folks in the state!
I don't know if we will ever out-pace them though. They sure have fugg'd up CO....sad

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wish you the best of luck on what you decide. I am thinking about the same however it will be the opposite as moving from Texas to either Montana or Wyoming.

As a word of caution I would take Laramie and push up as close to the snowies as you can, that wind is brutal! Cheyenne is a hard pass… but yeah prices aren’t a whole lot different than Loveland/ Foco
My sons lived in Cheyenne for three years and I spent a lot of time up there, months at a time. I killed a lot of grouse, did a lot of hiking and scouting, ate a lot of rainbow trout, etc. There really is a lot more to do year round in Texas assuming you're within reach of the coast somewhere. I'd live literally anywhere in Texas over Cheyenne. LOL... I like Laramie a lot though, explored options to move there but the hospital couldn't pay the wife enough to motivate us and I simply can't imagine leaving the coast down here.

bpitcher

FNG
I've lived in Houston and within 1.5 hours for most of my life. Most of the comments are spot on. It is hot as hell and seems to be getting hotter. We've had a flood of big city transplants over the last decade and that seems to be changing the culture for the worse.

Property tax can be atrocious, but we have no state income tax

Hunting is pay to play unfortunately, but there are some public opportunities and plenty of fishing on the coast.

I love my state, but as I get older I think I might like to retire somewhere else.

Texas is terrible move to Whitefish Montana @ $1000-1500 sq ft.

$700-900 a sq foot x 3000 @ 7 % interest… Buys a ton of hunting.

GoatPackr

WKR
Move to Texas. We are on a 2 year plan to move out of WA to western MT. Maybe interested in buying your place.

Kris

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yup, if you're an indoor person and can't handle sweat when doing outdoor activiites.....you're not gonna like Texas!

Millions of us actually work outside or did.....and we survived just fine. You just gotta be smarter than the weather. Get all your stuff done early or late afternoon and seek out some shade in the middle of the day.

I was wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops on Christmas day!
LOL, I don't think you read what I wrote. Or perhaps I'm just miss understanding your point.

Weldor

WKR
It always confuses me when a grown ass man can say I don’t like the heat and/or cold, so I am going to move to some place that isn’t hot and/or cold and people act like that makes them less of a man.

I consider myself a grown ass man and am getting tired of the cold. I also don’t like going to places that you can drown on dry land. So I am going to move to a place that is less cold and has less humidity.
Right on target, the older you get the cold, hot, humidity, does matter. I've managed to break my back twice and hands and fingers a few times through my career. Believe me when I tell you the weather does make a difference. The dry heat helpsbut you do get tired of it when it's over 100 everyday day for months on end.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I moved from N Idaho to N Texas last year. I am already making plans to move back to either Idaho or Montana. This humid either heat or cold sucks. I wear more clothes here in the winter than I did in Sandpoint.