MONTANA TO TEXAS - a possible move

Blandry

WKR
I always chuckle when the guys from Texas I work with always complain how hot it is in Sodak in the summer.
That is true! Once you acclimatize, any amount of heat is miserable. I grew up in Crowley and Baton Rouge, LA. Then, I spent 10 years in New Orleans, LA, working offshore out of Venice in my 20's/early 30's. I'll never go back to humidity. I had a buddy here in CO who worked for UPS and decided he wanted to move to FL. He only went to visit in the spring or fall, not during hurricane season or June-August. I told him he needed to go visit during those months. He got rude awakening.

Last edited:
OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
I moved from N Idaho to N Texas last year. I am already making plans to move back to either Idaho or Montana. This humid either heat or cold sucks. I wear more clothes here in the winter than I did in Sandpoint.

Sandpoint! One of my favorite places in the world and where I grew up for a portion of my childhood. The panhandle is probably my favorite place on earth. Wish it weren’t overrun by Californians and Oregon/Washington folk. Real estate is on par and worse than the flathead where I’m at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NWMT_MountainBum

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
Texas is terrible move to Whitefish Montana @ $1000-1500 sq ft.

$700-900 a sq foot x 3000 @ 7 % interest… Buys a ton of hunting.

I’m in the flathead currently, market is pretty standard across with most of the heightened prices in whitefish sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m born and raised in MS and moved to Central Texas for work 16 years ago. Texas is great if:
-You are single and enjoy drinking beer and eating BBQ and Mexican food.
-Have a pile of cash and can afford a 4-500 acre lease and enjoy drinking beer
-Have kids and enjoy sitting at the ball field all weekend and enjoy drinking beer.
-Like to sit by the pool all weekend and drink beer.

Texas sucks if sitting around and drinking beer isn’t your thing. I’ve read up on the history and have become fond of some aspects of Texas history but think I would have enjoyed it much more 100 years ago.

I have a note on my fridge that says “I will not retire in Central Texas.” I also have young kids, a bit older than you, and I’ll tell you that you are in a tough stage. As they get older you can enjoy all of the public land out West has to offer. With young kids family help is also a cheat code so I understand that.
This is the exact reason I moved from Georgia to Colorado. Got tired of nothing to do but sit around and drink. Life expectancy of US Southern males shows that to be an issue as well.

I can stereotype and generalize too. I have plenty of things to do in Texas that don't include drinking. I maintain a very healthy lifestyle. I have friends and family that live on Montana. They substitute beer for water. Deciding where to live doesn't have to become state bashing. There's pros and cons to living anywhere. Find where you maximize your happy days and minimize your unhappy days for you and your family. That's different for everyone. Of course a western hunting forum will skew one direction. There's also a reason my user name was selected X amount of years ago.

I live in deep east Texas , real estate prices have gone up here but you could still find a nice place if you look around for awhile . It gets hot as balls in the summer . There’s also plenty of national forest public to hunt .

Mojave

WKR
We just left Las Cruces to move to Germany.

The post above about the best thing about Texas (and New Mexico, Arizona, California) is true. Hot Latinas.

If you are single or unethical, they are so available it isn't even funny. I had multiple offers as a fat bald guy with a decent paycheck at work with hot 30-50 year Latinas I worked with.

I am not single or unethical, so I just smiled and laughed and told them I would love to if I was single.

What was more crazy is that most of them knew my wife.

That hot Latina single mom bracket is wide open.

A buddy of mine is 55, works out daily, eats healthy and other than his face he could pass for 30. He has this 25 year old Latina, that looks like she belongs on a movie screen. He is a contractor, and makes good money but it is still crazy to me.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I moved from Texas to Montana 23 years ago. I enjoyed living in Texas. Great food, good people, bass fishing. Many people in Texas can’t imagine living anywhere else. I still have friends there and they do not want to move. For my family, the change was great and my only regret is the distance I have to travel to find decent bass fishing and the length of the fishing season in MT. The trade-off is the mountains, hiking, and amazing hunting opportunities as a MT resident. Some day I hope to retire and spend the winters in Texas fishing, until then we will stick with MT.

I moved from Texas to Montana 23 years ago. I enjoyed living in Texas. Great food, good people, bass fishing. Many people in Texas can’t imagine living anywhere else. I still have friends there and they do not want to move. For my family, the change was great and my only regret is the distance I have to travel to find decent bass fishing and the length of the fishing season in MT. The trade-off is the mountains, hiking, and amazing hunting opportunities as a MT resident. Some day I hope to retire and spend the winters in Texas fishing, until then we will stick with MT.

Bass fishing is wayyyyy overrated.

I’d leave Texas to live in Montana in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blandry

WKR
Yeah, but saltwater fishing ain't overrated. Pulling your truck up on the beach and throwing lines while having a day of sea and sun. I learned how to fly fish when I moved up here, and it's challenging, which makes it fun, but saltwater fishing.. I miss it.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but saltwater fishing ain't overrated. Even pulling your truck up on the beach and throwing lines while having a day of sea and sun. I learned how to fly fish when I moved up here, and it's challenging, which makes it fun, but saltwater fishing.. I miss it.
That is one thing I do enjoy about TX. I can make a 6 hour trip to Port Aransas and back up right to the water and start surf fishing. And my wife is happy as can be just laying on the beach.

Yeah, but saltwater fishing ain't overrated. Pulling your truck up on the beach and throwing lines while having a day of sea and sun. I learned how to fly fish when I moved up here, and it's challenging, which makes it fun, but saltwater fishing.. I miss it.

Meh I don’t like the beach either, especially Gulf Coast beaches west of Florida.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Bass fishing is wayyyyy overrated.

I’d leave Texas to live in Montana in a heartbeat.

Yea, but my bass boat does not get a lot of hours in MT when it sits in the garage for 7 months. I am not a big fan of looking through holes in the ice to catch fish in the winter. Bass fishing year-around in TX was a lot of fun, but there is a reason I moved to MT 23 years and have not looked back. I still miss TX in the winter. I am headed to San Antonio in February for a couple of days and might try to get out for a day of fishing during the long MT winter.

Mojave

WKR
Ice fishing is the shizzle. You are missing out. The only downside is no bikini clad women to share the water with. They have 8 layers and are bitching about the cold.

Blandry

WKR
Ice fishing is the shizzle. You are missing out. The only downside is no bikini clad women to share the water with. They have 8 layers and are bitching about the cold.
Yeah you won't see many ladies out there on the ice. Unless you live in AK and have an indigenous wife lol.