Montana; Your NR Odds Just got Worse

Just read that mucho tags will be guaranteed to outfitters. Like 60%. Just when I was exploring the possibility of hunting Montana as an option due to all the pressure in CO. Does anyone know how this will affect diy odds of drawing? Maybe Montana wasn’t selling out and saw a way to get these tags sold?

Wapiti1

WKR
Not law at this point, still SB 143. It is in committee and will get a hearing tomorrow 2/2/21.

There has been a lot of good discussion on this in the Conservation forum: If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana..... | Page 5 | Rokslide Forum

and here: Montana Non Resident hunters read! | Page 2 | Rokslide Forum

I am not in favor and have voiced my opinion to the representatives. Even though I am no longer a MT resident. However, I know a lot of Montanan's that aren't in favor either.

Time will tell, but I can only hope our voices are heard.

Jeremy

OP
trophyhill
Unfortunately more and more, politicians are legislating game management. This is a bad thing IMO. I’m sure the outfit lobby is big money contributions in Montana. Hand in hand with big landowners and cattle growers.

Unfortunately more and more, politicians are legislating game management. This is a bad thing IMO. I’m sure the outfit lobby is big money contributions in Montana. Hand in hand with big landowners and cattle growers.

And rich NR landowners who want to get tags to hunt their land every year. This opens up a way for them to work with Outfitters to put them at the front of the line to get their buddies/family tags for the ranch every year.

Beendare

WKR
A couple other threads on this already but it’s good to get the word out as much as possible.

Imagine this; 100,000 hunters in a coordinated campaign emailing those commissioners ......THAT would blow this proposal out of the water.

it took me all of 15 minutes to cut and paste emails to all of those commissioners But I bet most hunters are too apathetic to make the effort- sad.

OP
trophyhill
A couple other threads on this already but it’s good to get the word out as much as possible.

Imagine this; 100,000 hunters in a coordinated campaign emailing those commissioners ......THAT would blow this proposal out of the water.

it took me all of 15 minutes to cut and paste emails to all of those commissioners But I bet most hunters are too apathetic to make the effort- sad.
I don’t know Bruce. When NM changed their ratios adding 6% for residents bringing it to 84%, reducing nr tags to 6% and giving 10% to outfitters, the NM commission got an earful and many claimed they were going to boycott NM and many claiming to of sent emails to the commish. 100,000 emails? Hard saying. But you’re right! Not only do hunters need to get on the same page, but so do Patriots.

I’m curious to know what percentage of the non resident hunters are outfitted and diy already.

elkyinzer

WKR
More outfitter welfare. Few things in the interaction between governance and hunting make my blood boil quite like these slimy fools. I think because it is a fundamentally hypocritical confliction of core values that most hunting people hold dear.

pirogue

WKR
I don’t know Bruce. When NM changed their ratios adding 6% for residents bringing it to 84%, reducing nr tags to 6% and giving 10% to outfitters, the NM commission got an earful and many claimed they were going to boycott NM and many claiming to of sent emails to the commish. 100,000 emails? Hard saying. But you’re right! Not only do hunters need to get on the same page, but so do Patriots.
It obviously didn’t do any good, and I don’t think many boycotted. My drawing luck certainly hasn’t improved.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if it passes and you have this big pot of outfitter tags that go unsold do they go back to the general public for purchase?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Does anyone have any information regarding the legislative hearing that was to be held on this bill today?
Go over to the hunttalk forum and find state specific issues/Montana. The thread is very long and full of all information you need from locals on the ground fighting this issue.

hobbes

WKR
Go to the thread in the Conservation forum here on rokslide for more details. You can also listen to the recorded hearing if you do a quick search.

If this thing makes it out of committee it will be an amended version. I still don't like it though.

The Outfitters claim that they already get 40 to 50 percent of the tag holders. I couldn't tell you if that's accurate. They plan to amend the number to average of the last few years, at least that's their story.

I will say this, look at the math a little. If they really do have 40% of the hunters already and get 40% of the licenses reserved for themselves, draw odds won't change very much. 40% of the applicants will just apply for outfitter licenses and 60% (diy) of the applicants will apply for the regular tags. The problem lies in are both sectors growing at the same rate? If diy numbers are increasing faster, your odds will decrease as time goes on and the outfitters will maintain their odds. That's what I think the outfitters are seeing, DIY guys are applying more and more making it harder for their guys to secure tags. They want to maintain their clients.

Another issue would be timing. You sure as heck wouldn't want folks that got in line for first come first serve outfitter licenses to be able to get into the general drawing if the missed the outfitter license.

Also, if they really do already have 40% of the licensed hunters under their wing, reserving 40% of licenses for them doesn't reduce numbers on public/BMA like some folks seem to think.

The sponsor did a terrible job in my opinion. On one hand he said we just want to maintain current levels at the same time saying it would reduce public land pressure for residents. That makes no sense whatsoever. They either get more licenses and possibly reduce pressure (I don't buy it) on public , or they maintain current levels and public land doesn't change.

Last edited:
So if it passes and you have this big pot of outfitter tags that go unsold do they go back to the general public for purchase?
I'm thinking there is a hint of sarcasm here but I will respond anyway. Although we all hope this would happen, I'm guessing MT Outfitters are confident they can get plenty of business to meet 60% tag allocation (hence their push to get them). The real question is if DIY folks would let the other 40% NR tags go unsold to prove a point... I doubt it!

Question for MT small business owners to consider, who spends more dollars on a hunt locally... the DIY guy or the outfitted guy?