Moose Caliber: Maine

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
As some insurance in the case of a longer shot I would take either the 270, 06, or 7mm. Of those three I would choose the '06 with 180gn nosler partition if you shoot it well. I have shot several moose here in Alaska with that combo and it is ideal. I shot one with 270 and 150gn noslers and it also did the job and a friend's son borrowed my 270 and shot a 40+" bull at 230 yds and it also did the job. I have no experience with the 7mm but it is very popular here in AK as well.
I'd love to shoot one with my dad's old 45-70, but it has obvious limitations and the last thing you want is a marginal hit and a moose lost or ending up in the water.

Usi05

WKR
I have settled on my 7mm-08 over my kimber .308 because I shoot it better. My kimber is great when I have a solid rest but I find that light rifle pretty unforgiving on free hand shots but I’m pretty damn good in any situation with the 7mm-08.

Just gotta find the right bullets now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140gr accubond. I posted earlier I killed a moose this year in Maine with that bullet out of a 280. DRT!!

Gen273

WKR
Congratulations on the tag. 7 mag, or even the 06 with a heavy Nosler Partition gets my vote.

EdP

WKR
I have rifles in all the same calibers you listed and would love to take a moose with my .444. Close in I think it would be perfect but I would not take it. When bear hunting in Maine a few years ago we saw 37 moose over 5 days. They were coming into rut and the season opened on Monday the following week. Given the distances we saw moose at, generally across clear cuts, I would not take my .444 due to the ballistics at 2-300 yds. My 30-06 is what I would take.

I also drew a zone 2 tag. I will take my 30-06 with 180 accubond and my 35 rem marlin lever action my dad had got me as a back up. I booked with blackwater outfitters as they are close to this zone.

Reactions: EdP

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
@Mebe007

Just spent the better part of a week scouting in ZONE 2. The terrain / shot opportunities are extremely diverse. There are thick woods, (point blank range), to fields / logging roads / power lines etc (1000+ yard shots).

Sentimentality shouldn’t be in the equation for a once in a lifetime hunt. Severely limiting opportunity with the 444 or 45-70 because you have to pass on a shot due to distance, will not be a good memory.

Consider your longest comfortable shot with chosen bullet & cartridge, that gives greatest chance for success.

Personally not a fan of Barnes wound cavity vs Nosler BT, especially as the distance gets longer.
Might want to consider moving to a higher BC option if possible in the .270 / .30-06 / 7MM.
Whichever you shoot best.

Worth .02, give or take .02….

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
I want your gun. But I'm too tight to overpay for the levers on gunbroker. So its me and my singleshot handirifle. Still does the job.
I've had all of my 11 marlins well before the sellout to freedom group/cerberous. its crazy what they fetch now. I love these handy rifles. My favorite for hunting close quarters va whitetail is the 1894p 16.25" ported 44mag.

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
I am inclined towards your 270 and 7mm mag options though I must admit my experiences with monos are the ttsx and typically lighter. The 270 with a 130 swift would make me very happy assuming you shoot it well.
The .30-06 is a great option too but the .30 cal 150 nbt has been an erratic performer on moose sometimes very fast killing and other times making me wish for tracking wounded big game with dogs to be legal here. Hard to go wrong with a .30-06 and a partition for moose although current pricing up here would have me going back to old favorites like the 180 and 200 grain hotcore.
That 270 is probably my most used weapon. Greatly enjoy it. It accompanies me most times due to its more weatherproof nature, hence why I had my 7mm cerakoted

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
I also drew a zone 2 tag. I will take my 30-06 with 180 accubond and my 35 rem marlin lever action my dad had got me as a back up. I booked with blackwater outfitters as they are close to this zone.
Love my 35 rem. Have a matching pair of 1976 centennial 336 35rem and 30-30

TN VOL

FNG
My sister and BIL have lived in Maine for years. They have taken 7 moose and say an illuminated scope is more important than the rifle or caliber. They have said that their longest shot was 70yrds and all in dense cover. They carry a Browning micro midas with 20" barrel in 243 Win with Barnes tsx bullets.

OP
M

Mebe007

Lil-Rokslider
My sister and BIL have lived in Maine for years. They have taken 7 moose and say an illuminated scope is more important than the rifle or caliber. They have said that their longest shot was 70yrds and all in dense cover. They carry a Browning micro midas with 20" barrel in 243 Win with Barnes tsx bullets.
My .270 actually has an illuminated scope. Works great for bear where crosshairs dissappear. My buddies dad shot his moose in the same zone 2 years ago between 50yd and 70yds. His sister a few years ago shot hers at 130yds or so.

My 35 marlin 336 is over 60 years old. My dads friend had bought it mail order before they outlawed that after Kennedy was assassinated. After he had eye problems dad got it for me. I killed a lot of deer with it and a couple of nephews their first deer. I retired it after I got my 30-06 but redid the recoil pad and sling, scope last year. I plan on deer hunting this year with it for old times.

Usi05

WKR
Shooting hornady 150’s at an inch from my 7mm-08. Feeling pretty good.

308 is at an inch with 168 grain bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk