Moose Caliber: Maine

My sister and BIL have lived in Maine for years. They have taken 7 moose and say an illuminated scope is more important than the rifle or caliber. They have said that their longest shot was 70yrds and all in dense cover. They carry a Browning micro midas with 20" barrel in 243 Win with Barnes tsx bullets.
Do you know what scopes they are using and recommend?

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting Maine moose zone 2 this year in September as a sub. I have a few different firearms choices without scratching the buy a new itch.

So what did you take for the hunt, and how did it go? We’d love to hear all about it!

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3281076" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
So what did you take for the hunt, and how did it go? We’d love to hear all about it!

While waiting on OP, I leave this weekend for my hunt next week and taking my 7mm-08 as primary and .308 as secondary. Both sited at 200.

If I was flying I would just bring one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3282452" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Hope you have success, and post details here.

You think shooting sticks are a necessary?? Going back and forth!

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
You think shooting sticks are a necessary?? Going back and forth!

I would bring them. Not sure which zone you’re in, but Northern Maine has big cuts, and ag fields that offer long shots. A lot are shot at close range, yet a friend has taken 2 between 250 & 300, others even longer.

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3305380" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
So did you take the sticks? Did you use them?

Took a cheap shooting stick but shot bull at like 40 yards so no need to use. First shot was perfect. Second shot was also very good. He laid down and went to stand back up and put one more in for good measure.

Only one of the 7mm-08 rounds was full pass through.

Was a fun experience. You were dead on with description of potential shooting conditions. Some giant cuts (they called em chops) out there.