Moose gauge app

PA Hunter

WKR
Does anyone use this app to judge antler width? Just curious if you need cell coverage to use it in the field or does it just work off a pic front on without cell coverage?

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I don’t know that’s what I have. You can email them I have played with it some I am within 2 inches on my European mount so it seems accurate anyway.

mooster

WKR
Leopold has a "trophy scale" measurement functionality on some of their rangefinders. I have an archery range finder with the functionality, https://www.leupold.com/rx-fulldraw-3-rangefinder. Its very light weight RF and does allow you to define a measurement scale, max 60", that's overlaid in the view. That said, inside 100 yds, the scale may be adjusted. So if I input 50" as the scale, at 100 yds, I see vertical tick marks indicating 50" width. If I'm closer in, the scale may only indicate 20" or 30", something less than the 50" set up. Its still useful for estimation, but of course, I'm not using this as my only decision criteria to shoot/not shoot.1630331608227.png

EOD-LBZ

FNG
Does anyone use this app to judge antler width? Just curious if you need cell coverage to use it in the field or does it just work off a pic front on without cell coverage?
What is this app called? Passed on this guy this last weekend cause I thought he was to close to the 50 inch minimum.

Attachments

• signal-2021-09-03-150529.jpeg
    signal-2021-09-03-150529.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 35

jhm2023

WKR
Can't speak to the app, while it does sound useful and interesting, I'd feel obligated to do some thorough testing before I made a decision based on what it tells me as it could have legal consequences should it be wrong. I do know that if your scope has accurate mil or moa hash marks on the reticle and you have an accurate distance to the animal, a little math can tell you a really good estimate of width. Slightly different but I used to use and teach a different formulas in the Army for calculating distances based on known target sizes and they worked quite well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

EOD-LBZ

FNG
Can't speak to the app, while it does sound useful and interesting, I'd feel obligated to do some thorough testing before I made a decision based on what it tells me as it could have legal consequences should it be wrong. I do know that if your scope has accurate mil or moa hash marks on the reticle and you have an accurate distance to the animal, a little math can tell you a really good estimate of width. Slightly different but I used to use and teach a different formulas in the Army for calculating distances based on known target sizes and they worked quite well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah I have a couple buddies that do that, but I mainly bowhunt so I don't have a scope with me

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
Hard to tell with that photo, but as nice as his palms are I think you did good passing on him. He may have been close but it’s not worth it if he wasn’t. His palms look awfully cupped to me, would like to see the angles on his bases.