Moose Hunt in Alberta or Newfoundland

wrgale

FNG
Does anyone have any recommendations for an outfitter for a moose hunt in southern Alberta or Newfoundland? Haven't booked anything yet as we are still waiting on the conditions at the border to change.

tntrker

WKR
I think things are gonna be screwed for the next few years, especially if this year is a no go. That's ALOT of backlogged hunts that'll get pushed back...I have a Newfoundland hunt this fall that is not looking good. Canada put a hold on all cruise line operations until Feb 2022....maybe things will calm down by this fall, but I was thinking that last year as well....

House21

FNG
Having grown up in Newfoundland and now live in Alberta I would highly recommend Alberta if your looking for a bigger bull. You may have a better chance at a moose in Newfoundland but in my opinion you would have a better chance at a trophy in Alberta. Newfoundland's Moose population has drastically declined over the last number of years and although they still have lots of moose until they reduce the number of tags handed out each year its only going to get worst... Just my opinion

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I booked a hunt with Valid Outfitters, They have been in great contact with me and I'm hoping to hunt this year but we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted

I would go to Newfoundland if it was me. I know a lot of people who have went there and did really well on moose.

I wouldnt get hung up on the size of the horns. The trophy is the meat in my opinion. Alberta is going to cost more $$$ to hunt from what I remember on my research.

I have a buddy north of Edmonton who runs a great outfit and is a stand up guy. Takes some beautiful moose yearly with low client volume. Focuses on quality not quantity. Kyler Knelson of Wingmaster outfitters. Runs great hunts for wolf, caribou and bears as well if you want to do a combo depending on the seasons.

PA Hunter

WKR
Having grown up in Newfoundland and now live in Alberta I would highly recommend Alberta if your looking for a bigger bull. You may have a better chance at a moose in Newfoundland but in my opinion you would have a better chance at a trophy in Alberta. Newfoundland's Moose population has drastically declined over the last number of years and although they still have lots of moose until they reduce the number of tags handed out each year its only going to get worst... Just my opinion
I completely agree with you.

OP
W

wrgale

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Are most people looking at 2022 at this point?

rwbowser

FNG
I had Newfoundland booked for 2020 and it got pushed to 2021. What I’m hearing now isn’t giving me much hope that it’ll happen this year either. Like someone above hit on, guides now have a backlog of people with paid deposits waiting to go. I hope for the sake of the lodges and guides up there it opens this season.

He's 100% right. I assume you're waiting for the rifle season right? Unlike here, the rifle season takes place during the rut, archers are chasing bulls in velvet. The Beaverlodge area in Alberta is amazing...big moose, bucks, elk...I never got to full draw so many times as I did in Alberta. Had 3 tags. Best two weeks of my life.

IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2158.JPG
screensaver.jpg
MOOSECOUNTRY.jpg
IMG_2186.JPG
almostbigenough.JPG
mooseguide.jpg
MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Get in shape now...you're up by 4am, in the field hunting by 5 and stalking just before legal shooting hours at 6am...and continue hunting until 9:40pm when it starts to get dark (archery season anyway). Makes for a long day. Dinner at 10-10:30pm, rinse & repeat.

OP
W

wrgale

FNG
He's 100% right. I assume you're waiting for the rifle season right? Unlike here, the rifle season takes place during the rut, archers are chasing bulls in velvet. The Beaverlodge area in Alberta is amazing...big moose, bucks, elk...I never got to full draw so many times as I did in Alberta. Had 3 tags. Best two weeks of my life.

View attachment 278266
View attachment 278259
View attachment 278260
View attachment 278261
View attachment 278262
View attachment 278263
View attachment 278264
View attachment 278265

Get in shape now...you're up by 4am, in the field hunting by 5 and stalking just before legal shooting hours at 6am...and continue hunting until 9:40pm when it starts to get dark (archery season anyway). Makes for a long day. Dinner at 10-10:30pm, rinse & repeat.
Thanks for the feedback. I am fortunate to live in Wyoming so we get to chase elk and deer pretty easily but it could take a lifetime worth of applying to draw out for a moose. We would most likely be doing a rifle hunt. Appreciate the info and the pics.

Will

House21

FNG

View attachment 278266
View attachment 278259
View attachment 278260
View attachment 278261
View attachment 278262
View attachment 278263
View attachment 278264
View attachment 278265

Awesome to hear you enjoyed hunting around Beaverlodge. I live in Grande Prairie so 30 minutes from there and get to hunt this area every chance I get. There’s some great moose around and also tons of great deer, elk and bear hunting. If you ever get back this way for a hunt I’d gladly take you out for a day scouting and just to show you some Canadian hospitality no charge. Good luck this season.

Us Yanks are required to hire a guide in order to get a tag so while i greatly appreciate the offer, it's not practical since I hafta be babysat already. <g> I recall one time stalking monster mulies near Homestead in the canola...we stumbled upon a big pile of grizz scat. It was wet and warm. My guide eagerly hustled us outta there, said for a bruin to come down this low he must be starving. That put my head on a permanent swivel for the rest of my hunt. Have you hunted the local mountains for that old bull elk the locals call Megatron? He's gotta bugle that sounds just like an 18 wheeled speeding downhill with failing brakes...very mechanical sounding bull. Cagey too...kept circling trying to get our wind and eventually coaxed us into an impenetrable spot where the stinging nettles were well overhead and flat ground was not found. It's a wild place eh?

Last edited:

House21

FNG
I have not hunted for that bull, I have heard about him but never hunted for him myself. I have a spot not far from my house that I hunt, I have to get back about 4km before you can legally hunt but I've never seen another hunter and I can take my quad all the way in to where I start hunting. I have everything on camera back there from wolves to monster moose (no grizz thankfully) and I haven't felt the need to try anywhere else. Living around GP its a miracle to find a spot that not 15 other people are trying for the same animals as you so I enjoy the alone time and non pressured animals. All the best on your future hunts!