moose with a muzzleloader

OP
W

wolfman

FNG
Well got back out this weekend and put around 30 rounds through my DISC extreme to get it dialed in-Thank Good for the lead sled! Ended up going with 100 Gr of T7 2F with a 460 grain No Excuses bullet and last 5 shots gave me around a 5 inch group at 100 yards with the Williams peep sight. Not incredible but I think that might be all this shooter is capable of at 100 yards with no scope. Hope to get back out one more time. Note to self. Clean your ML sooner than you did the last time! Had a heck of time getting the breech plug out but finally did and got everything cleaned back up. Not liking cleaning that rifle. Tough to get everything completely clean.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, those breech plugs can be a serious PIA if you shoot a lot of rounds. I use anti-seize on the threads of mine (very carefully) when inserting.

As far as the range, you really should not have to worry about the long range shots. Those bulls are not afraid of you. I was in the willows stalking my bull within 30 yards for an eternity (no clear shot) before he finally got upset and trotted off to bed down about 50 yards away. That was the range of my shot, and the double-lung shot on a moose is quite large :)

OP
W

wolfman

FNG
It had anti-seize on it before I started. Guess I just waited too long in terms of number of shots prior to cleaning it. Shouldn't have to put that many shots through it at the range again now that I have it pretty much dialed in about as well as I can shoot it. I put anti-seize on it when I put it all back together too. I am hoping 100 yards will be the upper end of the range I need to drop a bull but need to be prepared for anything I guess. Getting anxious for September 14th to arrive now. Think I am pretty much ready to go Moose hunting.

OP
W

wolfman

FNG
Have seen quite a few with lots of promise. We will see how things go between now and when the season opens. Hope to get back out scouting a few more times before the season rolls around.

OP
W

wolfman

FNG
I'll have to see if I can. Most of the pics are over 5 megabytes in size as I took them with 12 megapixel camera.

Last edited:
OP
W

wolfman

FNG
Success!

Well I did get one! Not as big (was a tad over 37 inches) as I was hoping for but he was the biggest I had seen during my hunt. Given the fact that I was by myself and he was less than 100 yards from a road I decided he would do. Shot him at about 50 yards. He went another 10 yards and fell. Was a complete pass through. I was pretty happy and relieved. Also thankful for my new found friends that helped me get it to my truck after I had gutted it and cut it in half. Getting it to that point was chore!
Lot of trials and tribulations with flooding-almost didn't make it out of town on time- and some truck issues-I hate the emissions crap on these new trucks-during the hunt too. Was not the most fun hunt I have ever done but I won't soon forget it.

moose_hunt_012.jpg

Thanks to all for all the advice and info on this site. Especially to Sabotloader for his muzzleloader advice. You definitley helped shortend the learning curve for me!

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent! It doesn't have to be the biggest in the state for it to be considered a trophy to you. That is a very respectable bull in Colorado. Well done!

Well got back out this weekend and put around 30 rounds through my DISC extreme to get it dialed in-Thank Good for the lead sled! Ended up going with 100 Gr of T7 2F with a 460 grain No Excuses bullet and last 5 shots gave me around a 5 inch group at 100 yards with the Williams peep sight. Not incredible but I think that might be all this shooter is capable of at 100 yards with no scope. Hope to get back out one more time. Note to self. Clean your ML sooner than you did the last time! Had a heck of time getting the breech plug out but finally did and got everything cleaned back up. Not liking cleaning that rifle. Tough to get everything completely clean.

What did you think of the 100 grains of triple 7 with the 460 No Excuses? I am in the same boat as you this year, moose with ML first timer. I have been practicing all summer with the powerbelts and 100 grains, now I am dialing it in with my hunting load. I started with 80g grains and the 460 NE last weekend, was thinking of bumpig it up to 90, but even at 80 that was a powerful punch.