More Colorado OTC archery units set to move to draw in 2020...

cnelk

WKR
In addition to the 6515 Bull tags, all cow tags were severely limited.

There were also PLO tags allotted - bull & cow.

How do you know how many OTC tags were sold for only those units?
[/I looked at the 2019 hunt stats and “assumed” (a lot like the CPW does) that the hunter numbers per unit are correct. It’s all speculation and goes back to, how can the CPW make sound management decisions based off assumptions and guessed numbers. But that’s all I had to work with. If a hunter hunted a specific unit just one day with an OTC tag then one can assume that he bought the tag to hunt that unit. One day could be a successful hunt it that unit.
How do you know how many OTC tags were sold for only those units?

I looked at the 2019 hunt stats and “assumed” (a lot like the CPW does) that the hunter numbers per unit are correct. It’s all speculation and goes back to, how can the CPW make sound management decisions based off assumptions and guessed numbers. But that’s all I had to work with. If a hunter hunted a specific unit just one day with an OTC tag then one can assume that he bought the tag to hunt that unit.

Poser

WKR
After looking at the numbers for those SW units, they are allocating more tags this year through the draw than was bought last year as OTC. So what is the point of switching them to a draw unit?

It allows them to control how many cows are killed. That’s the whole point of the change to draw. The paperwork of going to a sex specific draw system was easier than doing sex specific OTC tags with limited cow tags.

cnelk

WKR
I remember 25-30 years ago it was a real treat to get a cow tag.
Then the elk herd exploded in the 2000s and they couldnt give enough of them out.

Shouldn't this have been part of their 5 year plan that they already voted on and passed? Seems odd that they would do this after the 5 year plan was passed. What has changed in the last couple months?
This is the new normal. The commission took lessons from the pandemic…….

sndmn11

WKR
Come kill some bears! I saw 14 last year in 3 days. We harvested our 3. Will carry 2 tags this year...

Bring me bring me!

We LOVE bear meat in this house but apparently suck at hunting them. I have to bug the CPW folks I know to get bear meat.

Last year was the 6th year we had tags, and the first year we saw any in season.