Most unusual thing you've seen in the woods

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Must've been a good show if it only took 3 minutes to finish... lol

No it took longer than 3 minutes, but I could only stomach watching 3 minutes, its like I was seeing bigfoot or something, it took me awhile for my brain to register what I was actually seeing.

Jameson

FNG
I was scouting for high country bears with a buddy in the summer between our junior and senior year of high school. We were on a hiking trail and right off the trail was the senior science teacher having a quickie with her husband. We couldn’t believe it. We just said hi and laughed as we walked past them, now trying to put their pants back on. The best part is we didn’t do a single bit of homework in science our senior year!

Sure, I used to have access to an area where I had to walk about a mile up a trail from where I parked. About 200yds up the trail was an old Jeep that a lot of the locals used to hang out at after they got paid and went to the liquor store. Up about half a mile past that was a place where there had been an old campfire ring with sort of an outdoor concert place.....in not describing it well, basically big concrete steps made for sitting while watching a play or a speaker down at the bottom, likely from an old church camp or something but long abandoned and covered in graffiti. Place always gave me the willies walking past it.

One day I was headed up on a Wednesday after work, I used to look for mike deer on week days because work finished at 3 and nobody else was out.

I got up to the “amphiter” or seats and there were about 10 bums, completely naked just having a free for all, empty liquor bottles, dudes, haggard women, clothing everywhere, weed smoke etc etc....I just walked past it but I watched it for 3-4 minutes, it was like a train wreck, I couldn’t look away.
Did you give them a standing ovation?

I was scouting out in the middle of the mountains and came across this cross. Probably a good three miles from the road and no houses or old homesteads around that I know of.

When I was a kid my father and I was spring gobbler hunting and came across a KKK meeting. It was probably 75 guys in their hoods in a small field a good mile or more from the road. Talk about freaking a kid out
View attachment 96297
Got a pic of the Klan rally?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In 2015 stumbled across a nice built up underground bunk with a flatscreen tv with an xbox system in the middle of the woods. Thought it was odd so investigated and found a pot grow that had 100 plants.

Seen plenty of outdoor x rated activites. Gets real crazy during the big holiday weekends when night time campfire patrols are taking place. Unreal that people will go at it at public campgrounds. Latest episode was a middle aged couple on a utv last year going all out on sunny afternoon in the middle of the road. They were a bit embarrassed.

Stumbling across bodies doesn't surprise me anymore. Luckily the only dismembered deceased was a motorcyclist going 120+. Everytime I go by that spot, the scar on the tree reminds me of that day.

Last edited:

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't compare to a lot of the stories in this thread but one time I was out calling coyotes with my dad and uncle in the rolling sand dunes in Eastern NM. We found a half dozen car stereos buried in the sand, partially sticking up. They were double bagged in ziploc bags, but sand had gotten in there. I assume they were part of a robbery, buried to come get them later and the pick up never happened.

robtattoo

WKR
Not the woods, per se, but we often come across rafts of floating balloons while we're fishing of Florida's Atlantic coast.
I've only ever investigated one & decided I didn't wanna be near any more! Apparently Cuban's air drop kilo bags of coke, attached to balloon floats & their U.S.counterparts come collect them. Some go adrift.....
The USCG also uses them as bait sometimes, to see who'll pick them up.
I found out that last little titbit from a skipper friend of mine, after the fact!

Back in the mid 1990’s when I was the assistant manager for Kofa NWR we had a strange nighttime incident the night before the opening of sheep season. A middle aged lady was driving southbound on highway 95 trying to get to Dome Valley, AZ. She saw our road sign for the Castle Dome access road and turned her Pontiac Fierro onto that gravel road. The first few miles of that road are well graded and easily passible in a sedan. She kept driving, and drinking her bud light, getting into the two track part of the road going into Macpherson pass and finally getting stuck where it normally requires 4 wheel drive for a truck. Now, she gets out of the car, wearing a blue velvet dress and leopard skin high heeled boots and carrying as many Bud light bottles as she can. She sets off walking in the same direction she was driving, in the dark, Dec 1st, no coat and no flashlight. She proceeds to veer off the road and several hundred yards later stumbles into the middle of a large patch of teddy bear cholla, or what is commonly called jumping cactus. Now this cactus is really nasty stuff, it has barbed needles with a toxin in the barbs, and hurts more coming out than going in. Pack rats use the cactus balls to make their nests and there can be large catches of it, big mounds, around their nest sites. This lady proceeds to do a header right into a large pack rat nest full of cholla balls. She lays there all night. At first light two sheep hunters driving through Macpherson pass get to where she is at and see this well dressed lady laying in a big bunch of cactus. They didn’t quite know what to think at first, one told me he thought it was a cartel hit at first. They finally got out and one stayed with her while the other went for help. Several hours later the sheriff shows up and transports her to where an ambulance can get access. It took them 4 hours to pull all the cactus spines out of her at the hospital. We tracked her route by following the Bud light bottles. Later that day when they towed her car it looked like they used her car as a grader blade. I don’t know if she ever made it to Dome Valley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back in the mid 1990’s when I was the assistant manager for Kofa NWR we had a strange nighttime incident the night before the opening of sheep season. A middle aged lady was driving southbound on highway 95 trying to get to Dome Valley, AZ. She saw our road sign for the Castle Dome access road and turned her Pontiac Fierro onto that gravel road. The first few miles of that road are well graded and easily passible in a sedan. She kept driving, and drinking her bud light, getting into the two track part of the road going into Macpherson pass and finally getting stuck where it normally requires 4 wheel drive for a truck. Now, she gets out of the car, wearing a blue velvet dress and leopard skin high heeled boots and carrying as many Bud light bottles as she can. She sets off walking in the same direction she was driving, in the dark, Dec 1st, no coat and no flashlight. She proceeds to veer off the road and several hundred yards later stumbles into the middle of a large patch of teddy bear cholla, or what is commonly called jumping cactus. Now this cactus is really nasty stuff, it has barbed needles with a toxin in the barbs, and hurts more coming out than going in. Pack rats use the cactus balls to make their nests and there can be large catches of it, big mounds, around their nest sites. This lady proceeds to do a header right into a large pack rat nest full of cholla balls. She lays there all night. At first light two sheep hunters driving through Macpherson pass get to where she is at and see this well dressed lady laying in a big bunch of cactus. They didn’t quite know what to think at first, one told me he thought it was a cartel hit at first. They finally got out and one stayed with her while the other went for help. Several hours later the sheriff shows up and transports her to where an ambulance can get access. It took them 4 hours to pull all the cactus spines out of her at the hospital. We tracked her route by following the Bud light bottles. Later that day when they towed her car it looked like they used her car as a grader blade. I don’t know if she ever made it to Dome Valley.

Some lessons are best learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR

Yowch!
I got one spine from a jumping cactus in my shin once. Instant infection! I cannot imagine falling into a pile of them!

2ski

WKR
I accidentally approached a bunch of college age gals skinny dipping under a waterfall. They were definitely hippies but we got along well. haha
Accidentally approached.....ha

How well did you get along....?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pridgway

FNG
I've always enjoyed the abandoned cars from years past. Although i don't approve of the littering aspect of it.

Sure, I used to have access to an area where I had to walk about a mile up a trail from where I parked. About 200yds up the trail was an old Jeep that a lot of the locals used to hang out at after they got paid and went to the liquor store. Up about half a mile past that was a place where there had been an old campfire ring with sort of an outdoor concert place.....in not describing it well, basically big concrete steps made for sitting while watching a play or a speaker down at the bottom, likely from an old church camp or something but long abandoned and covered in graffiti. Place always gave me the willies walking past it.

One day I was headed up on a Wednesday after work, I used to look for mike deer on week days because work finished at 3 and nobody else was out.

I got up to the “amphiter” or seats and there were about 10 bums, completely naked just having a free for all, empty liquor bottles, dudes, haggard women, clothing everywhere, weed smoke etc etc....I just walked past it but I watched it for 3-4 minutes, it was like a train wreck, I couldn’t look away.
Are you sure it wasn't a low budget drop camp that a local outfitter had?