Mountain Goat Taxidermy

Clarktar

WKR
362e5b9b0486e468ff8d54dd86238325.jpg

Thought there might be a few gents in this thread who would enjoy this.

SE AK November billy on the left. Shoulder pedestal. August Chugach billy on the right. Shoulder mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any idea on age for those?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple things I took away from comparing the two mounts;
-I like the look of late fall goats but I sure like the taste of early August goats. My late season Chugach billies have all been very tough.
-Go with a half mount and not just shoulder mount.

Couple things I took away from comparing the two mounts;
-I like the look of late fall goats but I sure like the taste of early August goats. My late season Chugach billies have all been very tough.
-Go with a half mount and not just shoulder mount.

Half over shoulder pedestal or just the plain shoulder mount or both?

as.ks.ak

WKR

Shoulder pedestal gives you bang for your buck. If you’re gonna throw down enough coin for 1/2 body and have the space for full body, at that point you might as well send it.

IMHO if you want to mount a goat, i do any of these: shoulder pedestal, rug, tanned hide with mounted head rolled up on a backpack, or full body. This it 100% my flavor though different strokes for different folks.

My goal is to have a mounted goat for every season you can hunt them in. The AK mtn goat pelage slam.

Last edited:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

Whichever mount you like best, just don’t do a simple shoulder mount like I did. It doesn’t do the animal justice. Adam’s goat is bigger body than mine no doubt but mine was no small fry which the mount makes it seem.

b88e234f208299cfe6ea523407fe3cac.jpg

Now look back at that mount comparison photo, maybe my hide got left in the dryer too long? I’m 6’2” and 220lbs for reference.

Whichever mount you like best, just don’t do a simple shoulder mount like I did. It doesn’t do the animal justice. Adam’s goat is bigger body than mine no doubt but mine was no small fry which the mount makes it seem.

b88e234f208299cfe6ea523407fe3cac.jpg

Now look back at that mount comparison photo, maybe my hide got left in the dryer too long? I’m 6’2” and 220lbs for reference.

Is that your goat (the one pictured above), in the picture that Adam posted? Also, is the difference between them really that drastic or is it because the mount on the left comes out a little further (closer to the camera), than the one on the right? Obviously, the hair on the goat on the right is much shorter because it was August goat, but the head also appears much smaller as well.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is that your goat (the one pictured above), in the picture that Adam posted? Also, is the difference between them really that drastic or is it because the mount on the left comes out a little further (closer to the camera), than the one on the right? Obviously, the hair on the goat on the right is much shorter because it was August goat, but the head also appears much smaller as well.
Yep the trophy pic with me is the goat on the right side of the wall photo. Hair aside, my mount does not do that billy justice. Adam’s billy is still bigger bodied either way. His broke 50” and mine was 47-48” something or like that.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
WashingtonCascades billy way back in the day.

Attachments

• 839DC30D-FFB2-4FE8-803D-6B11327945A9.jpeg
    839DC30D-FFB2-4FE8-803D-6B11327945A9.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 49

Logan T

WKR
Awesome. What taxi did you use?
I used Dale Manning and Tyler Hoffman out of Missoula. Unfortunately Dale is closing down shop and Tyler is focusing solely on bird taxidermy. Their resume speaks for themselves, and if anyone needs a bird done, I can’t recommend Tyler enough. I believe his new business is called Pacific Flight Bird Studio. He has won numerous awards, regionally and across the world.