Taxidermist to fix mtn goat.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
I’d wait until the goat is 100% done before starting any beef with the taxidermist.
Agreed, I’m def not. I haven’t even talked to him about it yet. Gonna try and pick it up this week and see it in person.

skeptic

FNG
How did he get the hide back so quickly? Does he tan them himself? I don't know man, I think there is something weird going on with that mount. You clearly shot a mature billy and to me it looks like he used the wrong form or something. The spacing of his horns looks off in relation to his eyes, his ears don't look right, and the overall shape of his face looks off. If you look at the mount compared to the picture it's not even close. Is the taxi done with all the work on the face? Other than the obvious stuff, I think he needs to build up the form to make the proportions right on the face for sure.

A goat shot in August obviously doesn't have the amount of hair to groom that an October or November goat does, but to me it just looks off.

Goats are a tough animal to mount in my opinion. I visited with 4 taxidermists and looked at their past work before I picked mine. I think I would be asking for a do-over.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
My goat was done poorly so I found a cape on Taxidermy.net, had my local taxidermist talk to the guy who had the cape to make sure it would work, I bought the cape, and my guy did a fantastic job replacing the cape and making the mount look great. I can provide a name if you want someone in southeast Idaho.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to see that on such a beautiful Billy man. Just get you another cape and send it to one of the many great taxidermists out there. I use Dewey Wildlife in Cody, WY and he’s fantastic with everything in case you’re still looking.

Decker9

WKR
Could it be possible there’s some hair slippage from the tannery? Particularly around the eyes and ears? The hair looks quite thin there, I’d be curious on if the Cape was fleshed and dried properly maybe?

Sorry about your luck man. I have a full size hide from an early September goat I’d be willing to sell. I kept it to get it mounted eventually but it’s been a few years. I like the look of the euro, don’t have the room for a goat mount anymore, and I’ll be booking a flights for a sheep hunt soon. Let me know!

Last edited:
OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Sorry to see that on such a beautiful Billy man. Just get you another cape and send it to one of the many great taxidermists out there. I use Dewey Wildlife in Cody, WY and he’s fantastic with everything in case you’re still looking.
I’ll def give him a call and see if he is able to help

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
How did he get the hide back so quickly? Does he tan them himself? I don't know man, I think there is something weird going on with that mount. You clearly shot a mature billy and to me it looks like he used the wrong form or something. The spacing of his horns looks off in relation to his eyes, his ears don't look right, and the overall shape of his face looks off. If you look at the mount compared to the picture it's not even close. Is the taxi done with all the work on the face? Other than the obvious stuff, I think he needs to build up the form to make the proportions right on the face for sure.

A goat shot in August obviously doesn't have the amount of hair to groom that an October or November goat does, but to me it just looks off.

Goats are a tough animal to mount in my opinion. I visited with 4 taxidermists and looked at their past work before I picked mine. I think I would be asking for a do-over.
I agree with all of that. The face is nowhere near the same size or shape. I’m assuming like you that the wrong form was used or something. I’m in search of a cape right now. May have one lined up to get replaced by someone else.

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
My goat was done poorly so I found a cape on Taxidermy.net, had my local taxidermist talk to the guy who had the cape to make sure it would work, I bought the cape, and my guy did a fantastic job replacing the cape and making the mount look great. I can provide a name if you want someone in southeast Idaho.
I’ve been looking on there as well. They pop up time to time

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Not yet, he’s been out of town hunting. So prob gonna wind up getting a cape off of a guy on here and send it off to kanati and let them. Redo it. As soon as he gets back in town I’m gonna grab it and update some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet, he’s been out of town hunting. So prob gonna wind up getting a cape off of a guy on here and send it off to kanati and let them. Redo it. As soon as he gets back in town I’m gonna grab it and update some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have heard great things about Kanati. A friend who lives in PA raves about them. The turnaround time they quoted me was 18 months (4 months longer than Dewey) but at this point I’m sure you are more concerned with quality than time. Looking fwd to seeing updated pics

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
Have heard great things about Kanati. A friend who lives in PA raves about them. The turnaround time they quoted me was 18 months (4 months longer than Dewey) but at this point I’m sure you are more concerned with quality than time. Looking fwd to seeing updated pics
Yeah, I’m ok with waiting a while. Got myself in this predicament by not being patient so gonna learn that crap. How long was the wait at Dewey?

Yeah, I’m ok with waiting a while. Got myself in this predicament by not being patient so gonna learn that crap. How long was the wait at Dewey?
This was as of last week:

Kanati: 18 mos
Dewey: 12-14 mos
Double Nickel: 8-12 mos
Monarch: 12 mos
Wildlife Revolutions: 10 mos
Wildlife Gallery: 8-10 mos
Zimmerman Wildlife: 7 months

OP
bascott1

bascott1

WKR
A lot of people must be killing stuff. Lol. I appreciate the help. I may reach out to Dewey as well

Burt_Niel

FNG
A lot of people must be killing stuff. Lol. I appreciate the help. I may reach out to Dewey as well
Beautiful goat! Sorry about your mount mishap! As much as I dislike waiting the 18-24mo that my taxi takes, the job is always top notch; the long timeframe and quality seem to go hand in hand.

I think next time I drop something off, I'll pay the extra $150 and have them euro mount the skull + horns/antlers so that I can still enjoy them while the hide is being tanned and then bring it back in when they're ready!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk