Mouth reed help

I've been practicing with mouth reeds for a couple weeks not and have started to get frustrated.
My major concern is that since I have an extremely small mouth and a high and narrow pallet, I am having trouble getting a seal as I increase air pressure when I go for loud bugels.

It seems that the tape on my reed gets a large fold at the top that seems to channel the air over top. Is there something I can do to prevent this?
Is there a way to trim the tape so that it will provide a better seal with my mouth shape?

IMG_6063.jpg

OP
H
Also, since my pallet is so narrow it is difficult for me to position the diaphragm in my mouth so that it is not crooked. I am using the Rocky Mountain Mini master right now. Are there elk diaphragms with a smaller frame than this?

All my phelps amp calls fit perfect, but my son wanted to learn how to call so I had to make some mods for it to work better for him. He is 11, but I cut some off the sides, and where it was folding I basically cut the fold out with a triangle notch. Can’t say this will work, but might be worth a shot.

Uncut reed on top, trimmed one for him on bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
There are several mouth call makers that do make narrow frame calls. I used to make my own calls and they were a bit smaller to suit me. That being said a lot of hunters have difficulty mastering a mouth call. Good luck!

WCB

WKR
Buy a bu ch and start cutting. Also as mentioned narrow frame calls may help even so cut away.

phacker

FNG
Don't get discouraged, it can take awhile. I have a high pallet and for me, I've found that I have to use a call with a dome. Try other calls out until one fits and works for you. As others have mentioned, don't be afraid to cut the tape.

Jethro

WKR
I don't think I have a small mouth, but do have a high narrow pallet. I did not care for the Mini Master. Didn't like the little extra flap of material off the back.

Rocky doesn't have a ton of narrow frames, but try the regular ones with the pallet plate vs. dome. Will have to trim tape. I've had good luck with fit and sounds with the pallet plate.

The Mini Amp Phelps are great calls but I found them little too small for my mouth. Maybe perfect for you. I use regular Amps and trim tape and give a slight arch bend to the frame.

HODL

FNG
Something to note, a mouth reed doesn't require a lot of air flow. I get bad breathy sounds when I try to call using more air, like I'm exhaling instead of pushing from my diaphragm.

All my phelps amp calls fit perfect, but my son wanted to learn how to call so I had to make some mods for it to work better for him. He is 11, but I cut some off the sides, and where it was folding I basically cut the fold out with a triangle notch. Can’t say this will work, but might be worth a shot.

Uncut reed on top, trimmed one for him on bottom.
The v notch will probably work. I had bad gag reflex and had a hard time using a diaphragm for a long time… wapiti river calls has those v cutouts all around the call and they got me over the hump… now I can use about any (as long as they stay put) but amps have become the most comfortable to use for me

The wapiti river may be a good one for the OP to try too with the issues he’s having