moved to optics

bnsafe

WKR
anybody know where I might be able to pick up a set up 1 inch low or medium sportsmatch rings for a tikka lite im buying tomorrow. I looked at the guy in az but those are on backorder and I dont know when they will get in. Our season starts in 4 weeks so Im kinda in need now. I thought about going with talley to keep it cheap then switch out next year but hate to buy twice. Do yall not like talleys cause they lose zero, or cause some have broken?
This will be wearing a trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 either this year or next. I want something that is gonna hold zero and be as close to bombproof as possible.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I like those for sure, expensive but not a deal breaker. They weigh 4.5 oz tho. Not sure what the sportsmatch weigh. I was thinking talley were like 2.6 ish

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
anybody know where I might be able to pick up a set up 1 inch low or medium sportsmatch rings for a tikka lite im buying tomorrow. I looked at the guy in az but those are on backorder and I dont know when they will get in. Our season starts in 4 weeks so Im kinda in need now. I thought about going with talley to keep it cheap then switch out next year but hate to buy twice. Do yall not like talleys cause they lose zero, or cause some have broken?
This will be wearing a trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 either this year or next. I want something that is gonna hold zero and be as close to bombproof as possible.
Lots of examples of talleys cracking. No used them for years and never had a pair fail but there’s plenty of data to back the claims online. That being said, lots of guys seem to use them and like them.

Those UM rings are expensive but may be in stock, the sportsmatch stuff is hit or miss as far as availability. I usually buy an extra set when I order but my extra set is waiting for a 223 I just ordered.

You could also try the Hawkins precision long range rings, they are like talleys but apparently better and have some built in cant to give you extra elevation for longer shots. I’m m thinking of throwing a set on my 6.5.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks thinhorn, I will look at the um again, I dont mind the money, but looked like they only came in 30 mm and the trijicon is a 1 inch scope. Hopefully I looked wrong.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey OP. I had an issue with a brand new pair of Talley's starting to slip on my Tikka 7 SAUM after about 250 rounds. I slowly and incrementally increased the torque spec on the rings and it took all the way past 40" lbs before the issue resolved itself. Wasn't willing to continue to run the torque that high with potential damage to scope and potential for the rings to lose grip again.

I removed those rings and now have the UM rings on that rifle. Very low round count so far (20) but they seem like great rings so far. Heading out tomorrow morning to put another 40 or so rounds out of it and don't expect any issues. Time will tell as this rifle will be on some very rough country travelling hunts here in AZ next two months. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Looks like you are looking for 1" though... I don't think UM rings come in 1" variant. Not sure if they are working on that either.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, I dont see the um in 1 inch, and im pretty set on a trijicon accupoint. Cant get the sportsmatch, so honestly Im not sure what im gonna do now. I will go look at the mountain tactical and see bout those. Maybe I should just put a rail on and go with something else, just hate to add wt when I dont have to

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
Im leaning towards Talleys and confirming they are good. Not a ton of recoil with the 308. With that said the raptors do have blemished in medium height but not sure what I would need for my 3x9x40. I assume low but what do yall use? Are the raptors pretty much bombproof?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
There is an integral rail on Tikkas. Using any system that forgoes the machined in part for 4 tiny screws is going backwards. That’s regardless of Tally’s other issues which are real. You have a reliable rifle and a reliable scope, compromising on the mounting system isn’t the way.

Air guns of AZ generally gets them within a couple weeks of back ordering.

This place has them-

Additionally you can contact them directly-

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks form, the ones you put on there are for 50mm mediums. I assume I need the lows for a 40mm scope. I did reach out to sportsmatch, and will call AZ monday. Hopefully they will get some in soon.
I admit the dovetail concerns me. I remember using one for a 22 years ago and nothing would ever work. But I totally agree it seems to go the wrong direction not using them.
On a side note, do the warne mounts made for tikka work. they are vertical and I dont like the looks of them, but, they are made for tikka.
This whole search is pretty much ruining the buying experience for me. tho I admit im ocd and prob overthinking it.

hiker270

WKR
I also looked at the Warne Tikka rings that fit the grooved receiver. They appear to be a solid scope ring but I also just didn't care for the way they look.

Jimbee

WKR
I have a set. It's got loctite and fingernail polish on it. I'm sure they'll clean up just fine. Lmk if you are interested

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have Talley rings on 7 SAUMs, as well as several other different cartridges with no issues. I recently bought a Tikka in 223 and used the Sportsmatch rings. If I had it to do all over again, I’d probably go Talley instead.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
thanks form, the ones you put on there are for 50mm mediums. I assume I need the lows for a 40mm scope. I did reach out to sportsmatch, and will call AZ monday. Hopefully they will get some in soon.
I admit the dovetail concerns me. I remember using one for a 22 years ago and nothing would ever work. But I totally agree it seems to go the wrong direction not using them.
On a side note, do the warne mounts made for tikka work. they are vertical and I dont like the looks of them, but, they are made for tikka.
This whole search is pretty much ruining the buying experience for me. tho I admit im ocd and prob overthinking it.

SM doesn’t make a low mount for 1”. The mediums aren’t super high. Vertical split rings are the devil and should be burned at the stake.

And you are over thinking it. The easy answer is to find the SM TO48c or buy this-

TxxAgg

WKR
Take a look at UK websites. I've ordered from overseas and had them in hand in less than 2 weeks.