Moving in on another hunter working a bull

It’s not cool when it happens but it does happen. I had a couple guys come up behind me when I was watching a herd bed down after working on a bull in the morning. They kept bugling as they walked closer to me before finally busting the herd. I think it was lack of experience on their part after talking with them, but it was still irritating. It’s part of life in the otc areas and can happen in prime spots too when there is pressure. You have the camp that never bugles and sneaks on the elk, the camp that bulges selectively and then works a plan, and the group that aggressively bugles everywhere (generalizing but close). Put those all together and this stuff happens. I actually tend to be in the not bugling group and have taken a few elk when the other hunter has been working an animal but is going to push too hard. When I hear an exchange going on I try to decide if it’s a hunter working a bull and then decide where the elk will go if the wind shifts or the elk decides to just move on. I do give quite a bit of space and don’t call as I don’t want to mess up the opportunity for the other hunter. But, where I hunt, the escape routes and escape areas are where I find success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
“As I move my shooters in” interesting
I found a bull by location bugling, got him worked up, and moved in on him. The other guy was sitting a water hole and as far as I could see didn’t even have an elk call on his body. Heard our bugles and cut in front of us. I now think he possibly didn’t know we were people which seems hard to believe based on all the cow calling and bugling I was doing, but I guess it’s possible. Curious what’s so interesting about us moving in on a bull I got to show his location through calling.

Laramie

WKR
Public land, public elk... happens. I have never been that guy that blows them out but knowing how bad most in the woods are, and how hard it can be to find a bull in the right mood, I won't ignore a hot bull. I just try to use the other hunters to my advantage and place myself in the direction the bull will go when they screw it up.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
This happened to my best bud in AZ just three years ago. Early archery unit 10 draw tag. After 18 years to draw, my friend decided to spend $7500 to book a top guide. Not an easy decision for his finances.

4th day of hunt, Guide calls in 7x6. The big bull is working into them, weaving-stopping-bugling-grunting as bull makes its way thru chaparral. Guide challenges back, bugles & grunts. At just over 150 yards out, guide says; "get ready, I'm backing away 30 yards". My friend nocks an arrow and waits. The guide calls a few times, cow calls, light bugle behind my friend's position. Friend sees the bull coming on a shoestring.

Then 2 hunters, unseen by guide, release an arrow as the bull is 70 yards away. Friend hears the shot, the THWACK, and watches bull drop 40 yards away. The other 2 hunters never made a sound.

Shortly after, the guide's assistant arrived. Acting as spotter/packer, He witnessed the 2 other hunters cover 500 yards stalking into the bull. At times running, moving fast in cutting the bull off.
The guide was PISSED OFF to no end. There were severe words exchanged, almost went to fist-t-cuffs. My friend was nervous being right there. Suddenly one of the 2 hunters moved his jacket back, revealing a pistol. Immediately the guide & assistant backed off.

At vehicle they called it in. LE was there in 30 minutes. Interviewed the other 2 hunters.
Pistol guy said he was just going to remove his jacket. My friend said it appeared much different, other hunter's hand was on pistol grip.
Friend ; "his face, eyes said it all".
So entire rest of the day wasted, talking, writing their report down for LE back up too, over 3 more hours.
LE did nothing. The 2 hunters word vs guides and his.

my friend was so disappointed, said the altercation ruined what had been a good hunt up to that point.
Passed on raghorn at 20 yards the next day, his last. Bull was small 4x5 bull.
...ATE THE TAG...
Hasn't applied to AZ since, and won't in the future either.

Last edited:
So this is a thing? A hunter and a bull are locked into a bugle fest and another hunter moves in silently from a different direction and tries to kill the bull while it’s coming into another hunter? Damn...I like killing elk as much as the next guy but I wouldn’t never fathom doing this!!! In the past I’ve had this happen and I’ll sit back and enjoy the show, especially if the caller is good.

Had a guy sitting a wallow hear me and a bull tied up in a bugle fest, I must have bugled 15 times and the bull at least that. As I move my shooters in I look up the hill (thermals blowing down still) and there’s a freaking guy there motioning to me, like hey back off. Of course the elk blew out when they winded him.

I would love to hear an argument how this is ok to do. He didn’t seem to think it was an issue at all, even pretended there wasn’t a bull in the group! “There were 5-6 cows and a couple spikes down there”. I asked where the bugling bull was that I was calling and he sheepishly says “up there somewhere”.

This has been a tough season. More hunters than I’ve ever seen and every encounter ends in a “wow how did that bull not die”. Frustrating season so far...
it's crazy man, what things are turning into, and the general attitude of others.... i have seen what you describe on tv and youtube, have heard people talk about it like a strategy.... it's crazy to me. i think generally people suck at hunting, and will try to take advantage anywhere they can.... the kicker, most guys that would do that to someone working a bull are too dumb to make it work, so they just blow that bull out.... nothing more gained.

if people are trying to sneak in on a bull someone is already working, the silver lining is that person will never be a good elk hunter, they will always be the person who gets lucky every once in awhile, but that's it.

there are more and more snakey people in the woods all the time, it's bizarre. if people weren't such puzzies and used a little communication and had some courtesy, the crowds wouldn't seem so bad.....

it's been crazy pressure this year for sure, and a lot of them are "where did these people come from and what are they doing?" an area i have been hunting over 20 years blew up this year bad, and every one of them seem like they blew their first elk call opening day and that's their only strategy, haha.... it's bad. sad to see, but i will be using that pressure to my advantage in the future.... i don't think there is a single elk missing from that whole area, but they have been bumped around a lot.

i have not had many people problems this year, a little, but some is impossible to avoid with this many people in the woods, but i have mostly stuck to hunting the stuff nobody else does, they would rather pile into the easier hunting with 10 guys trying to bugle in the 2 spikes in the area :ROFLMAO:

the crowds wouldn't be so bad if people had some respect for others and some common courtesy, but it seems worse every year in that regard.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Not quite the same but we had someone shoot a rifle next to the truck last week while we were down in a hole. Heard him pull up on an ATV and then a rifle shot rang out. We think he was on his way down into the drainage we dropped into and got pissed when he saw our rig. Pretty childish thing to do, the bulls kept bugling though so F him.

We were our own worst enemy this year, got within 30 yards 3 times and either had the wind swirl on us or the bull went quiet, flanked us and caught our wind. Lots of hunting pressure, these elk were pretty educated. Frustrating season but we were in with them just about every day so can't complain.

Gerbdog

WKR
it's crazy man, what things are turning into, and the general attitude of others.... i have seen what you describe on tv and youtube, have heard people talk about it like a strategy.... it's crazy to me. i think generally people suck at hunting, and will try to take advantage anywhere they can.... the kicker, most guys that would do that to someone working a bull are too dumb to make it work, so they just blow that bull out.... nothing more gained.

if people are trying to sneak in on a bull someone is already working, the silver lining is that person will never be a good elk hunter, they will always be the person who gets lucky every once in awhile, but that's it.

there are more and more snakey people in the woods all the time, it's bizarre. if people weren't such puzzies and used a little communication and had some courtesy, the crowds wouldn't seem so bad.....

it's been crazy pressure this year for sure, and a lot of them are "where did these people come from and what are they doing?" an area i have been hunting over 20 years blew up this year bad, and every one of them seem like they blew their first elk call opening day and that's their only strategy, haha.... it's bad. sad to see, but i will be using that pressure to my advantage in the future.... i don't think there is a single elk missing from that whole area, but they have been bumped around a lot.

i have not had many people problems this year, a little, but some is impossible to avoid with this many people in the woods, but i have mostly stuck to hunting the stuff nobody else does, they would rather pile into the easier hunting with 10 guys trying to bugle in the 2 spikes in the area :ROFLMAO:

the crowds wouldn't be so bad if people had some respect for others and some common courtesy, but it seems worse every year in that regard.
Yea my same experience this year as well, ah well, never seen a soul in that area and i ran into hunters every time ive been out since than this year. The elk ran into them as well, that area is an elk desert now. This is NOT an easy access area either. They were all good guys i was just shocked to find so many hunters stumbled onto the area, most of them it was their first time there and were happy to see all the sign (it was fresh... weeks ago.... haha) so i gave them pointers on the bedding areas i know they hang out at and went on my way and they went on theirs.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Given what I've seen duck hunting where it is wide open and you can see when someone moves in on your position (you see them, they see you and they still move in), I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen all the time elk hunting and people are unaware they are getting moved in on as much as they are.

It seems like moving in on someone else is a decent tactic to employ if all you care about is killing something and can ignore the ethical issues associated with it.
You’ve never seen crowding until you’ve been duck hunting. 8-10 years ago I had another boat come in and set up on the same pot hole as us at Tule Lake on the opener. The lake is covered in rules and there are little holes cut out. This hole was about 20 yards by 70 yards. We yelled at each other for a while, they weren’t leaving, everyone had guns and we ended up hunting it. They were on the wrong end and couldn’t call and hunted our decoys so of course the only shots they had were on our swing. We limited and then left. I’ll never forget that…

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yea my same experience this year as well, ah well, never seen a soul in that area and i ran into hunters every time ive been out since than this year. The elk ran into them as well, that area is an elk desert now. This is NOT an easy access area either. They were all good guys i was just shocked to find so many hunters stumbled onto the area, most of them it was their first time there and were happy to see all the sign (it was fresh... weeks ago.... haha) so i gave them pointers on the bedding areas i know they hang out at and went on my way and they went on theirs.
Same. This area has held elk for as long as I’ve hunted it. This weekend I didn’t find a track until I was 3 miles through prime elk habitat.

Gerbdog

WKR
Same. This area has held elk for as long as I’ve hunted it. This weekend I didn’t find a track until I was 3 miles through prime elk habitat.
Yea same, finally got on fresh sign this weekend and it was probably 3 miles back in as the crow flies but... think i finished that day over 8 miles by steps taken. Quiet... just so so quiet... even the birds and squirrels were quiet, could here a fly fart in those woods. Never ever seen it that way, usually i have a squirrel barking at me or barking at something else all day long.

Anyway, i got off topic, i could see people who are not good at recognizing a real bull from a person moving in on what they think are two real bulls going back and forth with eachother

This happened to my best bud in AZ just three years ago. Early archery unit 10 draw tag. After 18 years to draw, my friend decided to spend $7500 to book a top guide. Not an easy decision for his finances.

4th day of hunt, Guide calls in 7x6. The big bull is working into them, weaving-stopping-bugling-grunting as bull makes its way thru chaparral. At just over 150 yards out, guide says; "get ready, I'm backing away 30 yards". My friend nocks an arrow and waits. The guide calls a few times, cow calls, light bugle behind my friend's position. Friend sees the bull coming on a shoestring.

Then 2 hunters, unseen by guide, release an arrow as the bull is 70 yards away. Friend hears the shot, the THWACK, and watches bull drop 40 yards away. The other 2 hunters never made a sound.

Shortly after, the guide's assistant arrived. Acting as spotter, He witnessed the 2 other hunters cover 500 yards stalking into the bull. At times running, moving fast in cutting the bull off.
The guide was PISSED OFF to no end. There were severe words exchanged, almost went to fist-t-cuffs. My friend was nervous being right there. Suddenly one of the 2 hunters moved his jacket back, revealing a pistol. Immediately the guide & assistant backed off.

At vehicle they called it in. LE was there in 30 minutes. Interviewed the other 2 hunters.
Pistol guy said he was just going to remove his jacket. My friend said it appeared much different, other hunter's hand was on pistol grip.
Friend ; "his face, eyes said it all".
So entire rest of the day wasted, talking, writing their report down for LE back up too, over 3 more hours.
LE did nothing. The 2 hunters word vs guides and his.

my friend was so disappointed, said the altercation ruined what had been a good hunt up to that point.
Passed on raghorn at 20 yards the next day, his last. Bull was small 4x5 bull.
...ATE THE TAG...
Hate the aggression displayed by some folks. This is true for DIY hunters, outfitters and guides. Sucks but it’s to the point you almost need to video every encounter with other hunters in case things go south.

In your friend’s case, if he and the guide didn’t see the other hunters then there’s a chance the other hunters didn’t see them working the bull. Just because they ran to cutoff the bull doesn’t necessarily mean they meant to snake it. (If I missed a point on that, then I do apologize.

Multiple hunters can be working the same animal, whether calling or staking), without knowing someone else is there.

Was working a black bear one time and never knew there was a guide and hunter in the same area trying to get on the same bear. They didn’t know I was there until the end. A shot presented itself so I setup; this is when they noticed me. I took the shot and they watched the bear drop. I didn’t know they were there until they came up and congratulated me. It was a 100% positive encounter with them.

If the roles were reversed, I would do the same thing they did: offer a genuine congratulations and politely decline any offer of helping them on the pack out.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Happened to me last year.....thought I had a hot bull coming and I was heading for him, raking, bugling, turned out to be another hunter sitting above a water hole. It was exciting for a minute then it wasn't at all.

A buddy this year had a bull working for him within 200 yards only to have someone fire off 4 rifle shots nearby.....no bueno.

Captnky

FNG
Had it happen last week. We’d been working a bull for an hour. Bull had gotten as close as 40 yards but no shots yet, too thick. Looked up the hill and saw a muzzleloader hunter glassing us and the bull, didn’t think much of it. Fast forward 20 minutes and muzzy man is walking through our set honking on his hoochie mamma. Blew the bull right out, walked up to us and he didn’t even have a bull tag, was hoping there was a cow down here he could shoot.

We didn’t come unhinged but almost did.

Many times I have disregarded a bugle Because I thought it was a hunter. I hear a terrible bugle that sounds like some guy just bought a primos terminator and blew it for the first time... to find out later it was an actual bull. This happens the other way too; I hear a good bugle and it ends up being a hunter. I don't risk it anymore. If I hear a bugle or two going at it in a "bugle fest"... I go. Now I do sneak in cautiously and if I ever see a hunter or confirm that it is another hunter, I back out and let him have it. This I public land and this stuff happens. You just have to respect others and hope you get the same. When you don't, just move on.

This happened to me 2 days ago. I had been following a big 6x6 down a drainage as he bugled and moved into the timber for about 2 hours. Twice in the past 2 days when I got close enough and called he shut up and went silent. Another hunter 1/2 mile plus away bugled and he responded. They went back and forth and it gave me chances to move closer and closer. I was moving in but not calling, but had been working that bull because he's really big for a few days.

The other hunter cut the distance and bugled with 300 yards of the bull with no response. He tried for awhile but that bull just shuts up when someone is with 300 yards.

Saw him again today... he's tricky.

Watched him chase a single cow out of the timber.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I bet this is sometimes the scenario where people get there and think you moved in on "their" bull.

Marble

WKR
I bet this is sometimes the scenario where people get there and think you moved in on "their" bull.
I think so, but in this case we didn't call to the bull after it went silent for like another 2 hours. And that hunter was long gone.

But 100% agree. That hunter came a ways after that bull, even though we did too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The new mentality is, “it’s public land and anything goes”.

I ran into a hunter who was with another group second weekend of archery. He told me “we’ll be hunting up here and we’ll leave this area down here alone” as he points in the opposite direction. And I said, “cool, I’ll hunt this down here”, where I’d been hunting and seeing fresh sign and getting into elk.

Then the next day him and another guy were all over the bench I was hunting.

no etiquette whatsoever these days because “it’s public land and anything goes”.

come to find out the following weekend there were 6 of them from Ohio, Pennsylvania and Minnesota crawling all over the bench they told me they weren’t going to hunt. But hey, it’s public land and anything goes right?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I totally get it......lots of hunters don't call at all, and all they have to go off of is spot and stalk or working in on bugling bulls. I've had 5 ML hunters shoot bulls I was working just since 2010. In most the cases they all said "Well, I heard these two bulls going at it, so ran in and got the shot". I guess I should be pleased that they took the shot at the other bull first. This is all just part of the game when you're "just another bull on the mountain".