MR Metcalf vs Beartooth

maufic

FNG
I'm looking to get my first high end pack for my first backcountry hunt. I've been doing a lot of research but I'm stuck on these two packs. I know the Beartooth has some improvements to MRs last generation of packs, but if I can get a Metcalf for $370 and a Beartooth for $550, is the Beartooth worth the extra $180?

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
The Metcalf was much too "strappy" for my liking. The beartooth is big improvement in that regard. Access should be a lot simpler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome. Check this thread out.

bruno59

WKR
remember you can get your beartooth at black ovis and use your rokslide10 code and get 10% off i have both the GL frame and the GLMT frame both work well for me the belt is a little better on the GLMT as far as bags i don't have a metcalf so can't offer anything on that but the beartooth is nice

I have the beartooth and really like the size and configuration. The pockets and compartments are well thought out and it doesnt seem like you lose much access to them when it's cinched down. Have never used the metcalf so cant speak to that.

If you have the time, i would wait it out. A few times a year blackovis will run them 20% off. Paired with the rokslide10 discount you could get it under 400.

firebird

FNG
If you like a black hole then the metcalf. If you like some organization pockets then beartooth.

I’ve got a black hole andI organize with pullouts and dry bags.

I’m not going to sell my metcalf to get the new beartooth.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Beartooth but have not had a Metcalf. I agree with above as far as holding out. Keep an eye on the classified and look at some retailers for 20% off deals in the next few months.

KRW4

FNG
I've got the Beartooth 80. My only complaint is that the lid on it sits on the pack funny. It's a poor attachment placement in my opinion, clicking in around the top of the frame.
The access is good, but there's straps everywhere that you have to un-click to get into anything.
I have packed out 2 bull elk, and a mule deer buck with it though and it was fantastic!

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
If you can swing another hundred for an Exo 4800 you'd probably be happier. It's the same size but 1 pound 5 oz. lighter than the Beartooth. I have a Metcalf and really like it. Just seems like Exo's are a real Cadillac.

mcl

FNG
Is the Metcalf you are looking at on the old frames system? Something to consider.