MR Metcalf vs Kifaru Tahr

Good thread. Yeah. The OP has some great options for sure. I will add that I dont wish to bash MR at all and agree that they make top notch durable stuff. When I first used the NICE frame around 2002 it was the best load bearing set up I had to date and I wanted to continue using MR as the bags they make are bomb proof BUT the made in Vietnam, still costing more than other top notch competitors (even though they outsource ), weighing more, not having proper load lifters / shoulder clearance and I'll add although NOT that important no Military discount (even though they now out source). I havnt used the pintler but I'll buy a Kifaru 14'r over that as they seem to be VERY similar (the pintler is reported to have a couple more liters of space that one could easily make up with attached external pockets on the 14'r while still having a bag around a pound lighter and ALL the numbers on the 14'r attract me more. I really liked the Metcalf bag (first gen) but again the NICE frame didnt carry heavy loades as well as the duplex as I already stated. If I had the NICE Metcalf I would sell it as this is exactly what I did. Either way the metcalf set up is sweet it just wasnt the BEST for me.

I wanted to continue using MR as the bags they make are bomb proof BUT the made in Vietnam, still costing more than other top notch competitors (even though they outsource ), weighing more, not having proper load lifters / shoulder clearance...

I believe the newer Mystery Ranch hunting packs are made in the Philippines, not Vietnam. Also, the new Guide Light Frame has proper load lifters built into the frame. I am not a fan of the fact that MR outsourced its manufacturing to the Philippines and won't be spending money for any of those newer packs at that price, but the packs are still manufactured under strict quality control from what I am told.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the new frame is up to date. I wasnt aware of that. The MR site does mention Vietnam manufacturing for some packs. Same difference IMO.

Glad to hear the new frame is up to date. I wasn't aware of that. The MR site does mention Vietnam manufacturing for some packs. Same difference IMO.

I see now too according to the MR website that some of the packs are either made in Vietnam or Philippines. Again, not a fan of that move as the packs used to be made right here in my hometown of Bozeman, MT along with the Fire and Military packs. I talked to Dana Gleason briefly about the move of the hunting and Mountain line to the Philippines in 2014 and he made a point that no US jobs were ever lost because of it, which is true as far as I know. But.... instead of expanding to keep up with demand, he chose to go overseas where it costs less to have the packs manufactured. I believe this has and will hurt the Hunting and Mountain pack sales especially at that price point, but time will tell. I will take any new purchases to Kifaru or other USA manufacturers even though I still like the older US made Mystery Ranch packs I own.

Last edited:
I've run Mystery Ranch NICE frame (crew cab, longbow, 6500 and marshal), stone glacier solo, kifarus newest duplex with an argali, emr2 and a cargo panel and am no back to a MR guidelight Metcalf (yes I have a problem but pack resale value is pretty good). I have found pros and cons to all of them and much like boots fit and comfort are subjective. Kifaru probably has the comfort edge but not by much, SG was light and good on comfort for me up to about 70#, MR hits the sweet spot for me on durability, comfort and a strap layout that is pretty close to perfect and that's why I'm back with them. I do wish production had stayed stateside though but I see zero decrease in quality in my overseas pack.

No one has really answered my original question. Is the Tahr bag the same size as the Metcalf? Larger, smaller? Also what size is the Argali with the snow collar folded over as a lid. Just weighing my options on bags. Hoping to place an order tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned both. The Tahr is a little smaller than the Metcalf, at least that is my perspective. The Tahr just seemed to be a taller, but smaller in diameter bag than the Metcalf, but the Metcalf seems to swallow more gear. If you are looking for just a kifaru, I would look at the Markor or the Argali. You will have an easier time packing. Plus I prefer to have the volume to fit everything inside, and not have to add pockets.

Back