MR Metcalf vs Kifaru Tahr

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have an MR Metcalf that I'm considering selling. I like the look and features of the Tahr. Bag size seems similar. Anyone who has had both can you confirm the similar size in bags? I love the size of my Metcalf, but know the Kifaru frame is the best. Any input on the Tahr from users? A comparison picture would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaggy13

FNG
I just switched from a MR Crewcab to a reckoning. Not exactly what you were asking for but I was also thinking about the Tahr.
I went with the reckoning primarily for the center zip. I really like the side pockets too. I have done some coyote hunting and hiking with sandbags to get it setup. I really like it, and may not keep my crew cab now. It just hauls the weight better and with all the adjustments, I feel like I can really dial it in.
The big difference I am feeling now is the lack of pockets to organize gear.
The one thing the crew cab had was compartments.
I could separate gear or thermal clothing by just using different comparments. Really had it dialed in and knew exactly where everything was at all times. My new pack is a tube... So I'm trying to embrace the new system. I have thought about sewing in some mesh pockets inside.
Now that the wallet isn't as sore, looking back, I am really glad I spent the extra money on the pack piece. My first instinct was to grab that tahr out of the rhino den for a huge savings. Until I looked at what a spotter pocket or two would cost... Then thinking about all the material to add the space, and there would still not be a center zipper or all the other extra features. So I just went for the gusto.
Good luck with your decision, I don't think you can go wrong whichever way you go.
I hope this was helpful, I know it's not exactly the opinion you were looking for.

This will not directly answer your question BUT I have some experience with both companies packs. I have no stock in either company and have owned and used a multiple packs from each company including the NICE frame with Metcalf, Bighorn (I think It was called), dragonslayer, and Duplex frame with T1 and EMR 2 as well as others. I liked MR and first used them when I used a Big Danas Special Blend on NICE frame. After using Kifaru frames and bags I realized that MR just isnt on the same level and have been surpassed. When I had the Metcalf I wanted to believe it carried well and spoke with a MR rep about the "frame extension kit" or whatever its called and realized it was a joke. When I buy a setup thats $500 or more I shouldnt have to buy some lame "frame extension kit ". Its an embarrassment imo. They just dont carry as well as a duplex in any way and MR setups weigh more. MR is also now making alot of packs such as the pintler in VIETNAM and still weigh more and costs more the the USA made Kifaru 14'r ( for 1 example of 2 similar bags). Not sure what MR is doing BUT I doubt I will buy another MR pack.

Last edited:

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, Mystery Ranch produces some of most rugged, well-designed backpacks around. There is over 40 years of heritage and design evolution, from the Dana Design days to present day MR. You may want to hand on to that Metcalf...

The load carriage is second to none, and they more or less invented the between the frame/bag carry system. Also, Special Forces teams in all four branches carry MR packs, as do wildland firefighters, all across the country. The technology, construction and design across those channels, as well as the Mountain side carries over into the Hunting Line, which makes for a deep pool of innovation to pull from. From SEAL teams to professional guides, etc. you really can't go wrong with an MR pack. Just my two cents.

The great thing is today we have a ton of solid choices from several great companies for hunting packs.

thejones

WKR
I have played around and carried many packs from both companies. Unless you need to scratch an itch and get a new pack, I would carry what you have and run it into the ground.

Save your money and spend on a tag for a good hunt, memories make the moment, not gear. But gear can make it more comfortable.

Enjoy

I love my kifaru, but the Metcalf gen 2 bag is my favorite bag to date, followed closely by the timberline 1/2 series from kifaru.

Kotaman

WKR
I always liked the Metcalf, but felt it was too heavy for what it is for a pack. The Tahr on my Bikini frame is almost 3 lbs. lighter than the Mecalf/Nice combo.

The Tahr looks like a great bag to start, but it's design was obviously to utilize the pals system to add on pouches of YOUR choice.
I will be adding 2 spotting scope pouches for my kill kit, emergency, and safety items.
Then 2 large or medium blet pouches to carry head lamp, gun, flag tap etc.

Then the bag itself will have qtr bags, tarp, food, tent, stove mat, chair, bag and pad, lanter batteries etc.

I was determinied to get an internal organizer set up like the 22Mag. But that thing is so heavy and limits me on ability to carry.
My Tahr carries everything how I want it, and then compresses to a super small and light day pack.

I am looking at designing a quick detach guide lid that can be thrown on as light weight oack system with my necessary kill kit and processing items for when I drop pack and chase elk for a kill.

I am thinking I can get a total of almost 6000 ci out of this with removable items and organized storage done externally so my meat can still run in pack or on the shelf

Oh and the beauty of the Kifaru is the frame is the best there is for hauling a real load. And once you have the frame, the packs are easily interchangeable for your need.

I'm setting up a Elk archery in Colorado next year and will be doing my first 7-10 day trip.
I don't feel the Tahr will properly handle this, though it could if it had to..... So I will be looking at the biggest pack kifaru sells and switching my "Add ons" from my tahr over to my next pack.

I have run many other pack/ frame set ups, none compare In my opinion.

I will have the Tahr for my 1-3 day hunts and probably the AMR for my 10 dayers. The reason for the AMR is it too has the pals system to let me choose my additional pouch set ups and will easily get me over that 10,000 ci size

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
but know the Kifaru frame is the best.

I've tried three different times to switch to Kifaru from my MR's. I did not find your statement to be correct. I've got a ton of respect for Patrick and Aron, but find my MR packs more comfortable with light or heavy loads.

My advice is don't sell your old pack before you have the new one to compare it to.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a MR Pintler this year. I used it on an 8 day rifle hunt and used it for 2-3 night spike camp trips away from my main camp. Any pack that I purchase from now on will have a meat shelf unless it's more of a travel bag. I LOVE the Pintler. It's extremely comfortable with moderate loads (I haven't hauled an animal out with it yet) and is a great early season pack.

I also have a Kifaru Timberline 2 internal frame. I like the pack a lot also but it's simply to big to be used as an effective day pack for me. My buddy used it this year and he commented on how it had to many straps, he couldn't make it comfortable blah blah blah....I think at the end of the day it's a preference thing. I don't think either brand is "better". They're simply different. If you like a more versatile style pack that can expand easier and has more accessory pockets go with Kifaru for sure. If you like the simplicity, and simply lines go MR or Stone Glacier.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have an MR Metcalf that I'm considering selling. I like the look and features of the Tahr. Bag size seems similar. Anyone who has had both can you confirm the similar size in bags? I love the size of my Metcalf, but know the Kifaru frame is the best. Any input on the Tahr from users? A comparison picture would be awesome.

If your Metcalf is the Gen II I would consider trading you for a Kifaru Timberline 2 in OD green. It's the internal frame model without the meat shelf.

blackah02

FNG
I have both a MR NICE Marshall and a Kifaru Timberline 2 internal. I hunted one year with the T2 and last Fall with the NICE frame. I honestly like the comfort of both. The T2 slightly edges the NICE frame out for a daypack because it Is and feels lighter. That said, I have no plans to get rid of my NICE frame as I believe out of the two it would carry very heavy loads more comfortably and stable without the potential to barrel like the T2 internal. I have no experience with the Kifaru Duplex external frame, so cannot compare, but my guess is that I will cave in and purchase a new hunting platform to try out for next year. For the guys that don't care for all the Kifaru straps, simply add on some web keepers. Both companies build quality packs and I agree with the others that recommend trying them all.

I've tried three different times to switch to Kifaru from my MR's. I did not find your statement to be correct. I've got a ton of respect for Patrick and Aron, but find my MR packs more comfortable with light or heavy loads.

My advice is don't sell your old pack before you have the new one to compare it to.

My statement is correct for me.
Yours might be for you
The OP will have to decide for him.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
If your Metcalf is the Gen II I would consider trading you for a Kifaru Timberline 2 in OD green. It's the internal frame model without the meat shelf.

No thanks on the trade. I'm looking at buying the new UL frame.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
To all, I think the NICE frame is bombproof. My issue with it is the belt system, I feel like I can't get it to not slip. I'm wanting to try the new UL frame and figured the Tahr bag was the most similar in size, meat shelf, versatility from the Kifaru lineup.

boom

WKR
i hesitate to post this..but i am downright stalking Mystery Ranch. i am using my Kifaru DT2 right now and it fits okay..i am gonna buy a Metcalf. i dont mind a bit more TARE weight on the pack. that cordura 500-whatever is the toughest stuff ever. in NM this year, i had to sit and watch a mulie for two hours while my brother and friend stalked into position. i was in cactus and sharp shale. i couldnt sit long. i took my pack; the DRAGONSLAYER, and sat on it for two hours. just grinding it into the earth. i moved my tripod up and i was shockingly comfy. i would shift to fix some body cramp and feel that pack shift and dig into the earth. my PB&J sandwich and banana that i forgot about..blew into oblivion. (i still ate it all)..but at the end all i needed to do was brush it off, put it on and trot up the mountain to meet the guys and find that deer. my two hour sit and crazy good hand signals got it done. i would have not been able to sit still and probably been busted by that deer or some other deer if i couldnt have huddled down into the foliage. i got home and sunk that pack into warm soapy water and washed it. it was gross. sweat, blood, banana..etc. it is still perfect. the pack fits amazing..i can jog with it with a training load. i hope the Metcalf is the same..i think so. i need a pack to withstand ME.

my kifaru has a tear in it already. it is a great long distance hiker pack..comfy, light, almost ethereal. but it is almost like the Gregory it replaced for me..except it has more external straps. if i could stuff meat in between the frame and pack, it would be better for me. i know it can carry a load. in the pack. the Kifaru Kungfu is strong with this group..i know it is a good pack. i just like the mystery ranch product more..so far.

I don't have any experience with the Metcalf. The Tahr works well for me as a 1-3 day pack. It will fit day gear and a quartered or boned out whitetail with room to spare. It is nice to be able to use a lid or not, the straps work well for sucking the pack into day mode or for actually strapping stuff to it. I have not used the load shelf, and probably never will.

The Dragonslayer mentioned above uses 500D Cordura as does the DT2, and the Tahr.

Wow,lots of different opinions and that's great. That's what makes this form special. As for me I have owned 3 mystery ranch packs over the years, dragonslayer, crew cab and 2015 version metcalf. I have also owned 4or 5 Kifaru pack setups including the internal frame timberline 2, two duplex frames on various bags and a new version UL Frame and now the new version tactical duplex frame. now I haven't owned the new version mystery ranch frame, but my last metcalf came with the load lifter extension. With that said the metcalf was a great pack. For me perfect size and configuration. But IMO, nothing hauls weight like a kifaru, especially long distances. I didn't really like the new Kifaru UL frame, for me the frame sheet is a bit wimpy. One thing to consider is kifaru is made in the USA, while mystery ranch outsources the new frame oversea's. Also the Kifaru warranty is second to none. And then there's the kifaru waist belted which IMO is unmatched in the industry. Also Kifaru has a multitude of options as far as bags and accessories. I liked my mystery ranch metcalf a lot until I had to pack a heavy load 5 miles then I didn't like it so much. Back to Kifaru for me.Just my humble opinion from a old guy.