MRE Expectation

What exactly is peoples expectation for the .MIL style MRE's and Mtn.House, Peax, etc. type brands??
I can totally understand getting burnt out on a certain flavor OR a certain "meal" flavor might taste like beaver balls dipped in fish oil, but are people really soooo picky about their food that ~8-10 days of "just add water" meals that they want some gourmet 5 course meal??

Longest I've lived on MRE type foods was about 6 days. I did bring in some non MRE stuff and that got eaten first. BUT I knew in my mind that it'll never be home cooking like mama used to make. I just wanted something to make the rumbling go away and would give me some calorie replacement/energy. I also ALWAYS bring hot sauce to get the blandness out.

I also get that there are guys out there like Brian Call/Gritty who are spending 50ish days in the field and food can be a make or break mentally. Hence why I'll always tell people that they should get over their hangup on pack weight when going into the field if a large part of that weight gets lost when the food is all gone. FYI I'm the guy you want camping back country because I will be packing in 1 day worth of drinking and baby bell cheese

EdP

WKR
I find that the combination of freeze dried meat, dehydrated veggies, and rice or pasta makes a much better meal than the prepackaged "just add water" meals. There is a slight weight penalty, not in the weight of food but in the additional fuel needed.

omt223

FNG
Go watch steve1989MREinfo on youtube
Youll be super excited to eat any of them lol

Go check out all the food/meal ideas that through-hikers/backpackers use- most all will be cheap, easy to find items and not mre/freeze dried- type meals. Lots of blogs/YouTube videos on the subject.