MSR reactor issues

Has anyone has issues with their MSR reactor? in the past 4 years I have gone through 4 now. msr sent me new ones for a discounted price but its getting ridiculous.

I use the stove for 3 months straight everyday in the Yukon and each stove has decreased in performance and then eventually stopped working. I now have the MSR windburner and it is ran flawlessly last season. I have 2 reactors now, 1 is brand new and 1 doesn't work at all that I will be sending back to msr here shortly.

Mosby

WKR
I have one that has been flawless but I only use it on backpack hunts and not near the use your giving yours. Credit to MSR for standing behind their warranty but I might ask them to switch the Reactor for another Windburner.

BBob

WKR
The Reactor uses a piece of lead as a safety in the fuel port if it gets too hot. It melts and clogs the fuel port if it gets too hot. I wonder if yours partially melted and partially clogged before it fully melted and failed altogether? You can take them apart and dig the lead out but once you do there's no over temp safety. I don't know why they don't do a re-design and put a resettable safety in it like the Windburner has.

Last edited:

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
No issues here so far..I have (2) MSR reactors, (made in USA) but mine were manufactured prior to 2008. The Navy SEALs and special operation forces use these. A lot of people don’t realize there is a difference in the manufacturing of these cook systems prior to 2008. I can’t get into all the specifics but one is if you turn the pot over upside down look at the heat exchanger “fins” the newer ones made today are spot welded on whereas mine are actually part of the pot, and boil *faster than the newer ones!

NOTE: The reactors do have issues at very high altitudes, although again I can’t get into the specifics, but this is remedied by opting to use the whisperlite international 600 stove OR MSR vapore jet (cfv) jp8 stove!!

***TIPS
1. In extreme cold or freezing temps do NOT let the iso-butane fuel canister get too cold! Store in your down sleeping bag, Kifaru woobie, doobie express!

2. In very cold temps and at higher altitudes, warm up the iso-butane fuel canister BEFORE using, very important!!

3.The reactor stove features a pressure regulator to deliver consistent fuel. However, in freezing temps, the pressure in the canister is likely to drop below what even the pressure regulator can maintain. This is when placing your canister in a bowl of water can help. So long as the water isn’t turning to ice, The temp of the water will keep the canister’s pressure up enough that the pressure regulator can maintain it.

Attachments

• 6D0B3C9A-3C9B-40FB-AFB9-161E3B640BF5.jpeg
    6D0B3C9A-3C9B-40FB-AFB9-161E3B640BF5.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 9F7C54D8-4E8C-4E6B-BA59-7732D07D38D6.jpeg
    9F7C54D8-4E8C-4E6B-BA59-7732D07D38D6.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I’ve had my Reactor since 2016 and no issues, but I use mine much less than you.
You might need to go with a WindBurner or back to a liquid fuel. The metalic foam heating element on the Reactor may not be up to the type of use you are putting it through. Also, the brass part that BBob mentioned above does have lead and may be causing your issues too.

FYI, twice while hunting, buddies have had their jetboils fail while we were in the field. My Reactor saved the day both times when their jetboils quit. Basically my point is that the Chinese jetboils are not the answer.

I had my Reactor go into lava fire mode when the Isobutane was too cold. MSR replaced it, but lesson learned. I feel the non-resettable thermo trip should be designed into new one's like the Windburners. I only use the Reactor in warmer temps now

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
T
thanks for the info guys . and yeah BBob it sounds like that could be the issue. i might to a 3 boils straight for meals and coffe for the clients and what not. so it could be getting very hot and melting that fuel port. like i said i have 1 reactor that is down now so ill try and get that safety out. do you know what could happen without the safety?

BBob

WKR
do you know what could happen without the safety?
I suspect worse case it'll melt down and explode? If I were to open it up and remove the lead I wouldn't ever run it wide open again and maybe give it a cool off period before boiling again.

Something to think about and something I need to test is how well the Reactor might do running it less than full throttle. I've played with and made up various stove pot combos and most of them will get better fuel efficiency running at less than full throttle (sometimes much less) but with longer boil times. Something to think about and maybe try. I have a hunch you might get rid of the over-temp safety fuel clogging issues if you ran it it a little less open with a little longer boil time.