MT Elk Report

Hows it going out there for everyone? Only was out a couple hours opening morning - may have heard one faint bugle, but wasn't that far out as my kid was with me.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I heard from group hunting on the ranch we share, seeing quite a few animals, decent bugling, lots of rain....

Opening day my buddy and I had 2 bulls bugle. Very short bugles, and did not seem to interested in bugling a lot. Did manage to pull one of them(4x5) to 135yds. He came in silent and to cow calls.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I’m headed out later this year because I hate hunting in the early season heat. Oct 1st through the 15th for archery. I’m hoping I don’t regret not going out earlier in the archery season. Hoping to avoid some crowds too since I drew a limited entry tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I heard from friends hunting in central Montana, bugling is picking up, they said it was pretty wild on yesterday, (TUES). I am guessing it will be getting better in the next couple weeks......lots of elk in their area they said.

Lsorum13

FNG
Was out this past week for 6 days. Bugling was sparse in areas. Still saw big herd bulls walking and bedding with satellite bulls. On Tuesday, bugling was much better and becoming more aggressive.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Spent the last 5 days is SW montana. Not much bugling in my area. And the ones I hear are right at day break. I've seen 3 groups of mature bulls with a spike or raghorn along side. No cows with them. None of them have been interested in my calls. Hoping it heats up. Had to come to town to get a new tire then heading back out for another 7 days.

bsnedeker

WKR
I was out opening weekend, pushed off the mountains in Central MT on Monday due to rain. Sunday was beautiful and bulls were bugling all morning until about 1 PM, then started up again an hour before sundown. They were cruising looking for cows, hadn't hearded up yet. I'll be out this weekend in NW MT.

fatlander

WKR
We’ve been hunting since last Friday, the 13th, and it’s been super slow. We’ve heard a collective 4 bugles. We’ve got another week to go. Hoping the weather coming in tonight and tomorrow will get things rolling. We did call in a nice 6 point that came into silent cow calling, but he never gave us a shot. I missed a really big 6 point on a pretty long shot that we kicked up. I stopped him with cow calls but he was cagey and ducked my arrow.

Blueridge

FNG
Headed to the Thompson falls region next week I’ll check in not sure if anyone here is near there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoff1ck

WKR
Spent the last week in SW Montana. Slow until the afternoon of the 18th, then it picked up each day. Our last day was yesterday. We were into bugling bulls all day, just never came together. Seems like this next week should be good.

was down for opening week and had a blast, first time hunting in MT, buddy shot a 5 point opening day and spent the next 6 days chasing bugles! was way better then expected, hopefully we get drawn again next year!

TheCougar

WKR
In SW Montana, Tuesday and Wednesday were okay days for bugling and action, but the last two days have been dead. All the elk we see down on private land show no signs of the rut. Just large herds of cows with a raghorn leading them around. It’s bizarre for the big boys to not have herded up the cows by now.