MT Tag Sh$tshow

NDGuy

WKR
I drew the big game combo but returned my elk combo when I whiffed on my LE permit. Hoping this is isolated but I received two envelopes from MT FWP today. One had my deer combo, the other had a big game combo license. I called FWP and they said there was a large printing screwup and also confirmed my refund was mailed last week. So I have 2 deer tags, 1 elk tag for essentially $700.

I hope this doesn't get abused but not holding my breath, there's been some reports of people that were unsuccessful on LE permits receiving one in the mail as well...big yikes Montana FWP.

Wvroach

WKR
Wow, so they refunded the tags but are still honoring them? Seems they would have a way to submit a correction.

bsnedeker

WKR
I drew the big game combo but returned my elk combo when I whiffed on my LE permit. Hoping this is isolated but I received two envelopes from MT FWP today. One had my deer combo, the other had a big game combo license. I called FWP and they said there was a large printing screwup and also confirmed my refund was mailed last week. So I have 2 deer tags, 1 elk tag for essentially $700.

I hope this doesn't get abused but not holding my breath, there's been some reports of people that were unsuccessful on LE permits receiving one in the mail as well...big yikes Montana FWP.
Yeah, this is a whole new low for FWP...unbelievable. Now that the cat is out of the bag they are going to have to do something significant to counter this or we could have thousands of NR's coming up here who didn't actually draw.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Yeah, this is a whole new low for FWP...unbelievable. Now that the cat is out of the bag they are going to have to do something significant to counter this or we could have thousands of NR's coming up here who didn't actually draw.

Yes there is a thread on hunttalk and this seems to be pretty widespread. Affecting NRs and Rs.

They would definitely have had a better chance at hunters being honest if they wouldn't have sat on refunds for 6 weeks.

Schism

WKR

I agree. However there are also reports of residents receiving LE permits that didn't draw them. And licenses good for archery with printed dates that extend two days BEYOND the traditional RIFLE season.

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree. However there are also reports of residents receiving LE permits that didn't draw them. And licenses good for archery with printed dates that extend two days BEYOND the traditional RIFLE season.
Insane! They might need to do something drastic like invalidate every paper tag and require people to use the new e-tags.

Either that, or they could dust off the old printers they used to use a few years ago when we had REAL tags and send those out to people.

They need to do something though.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Insane! They might need to do something drastic like invalidate every paper tag and require people to use the new e-tags.

Either that, or they could dust off the old printers they used to use a few years ago when we had REAL tags and send those out to people.

Hopefully they clean house, Hank has been a disaster for that organization.

WCB

WKR
WTF vendor are they using for their systems? There is no way they have an IT team that designs and implements. They have to have a 3rd party vendor....or I guess not and that is the issue.

I never found MTs application process difficult to understand at all but the not printing tags, then printing tags, and the draw result releases and mistakes are mind boggling.

They should just print and send out new tags to the people that actually drew with a unique color or code on them. Hard to see how there NOT printing tags like they used to is saving them any money when this keeps happening.

KHNC

WKR
Dont you lose Points when you turn your combo tag back in as well? I ditched my Montan points this year. didnt feel like dealing with the complexity of it all.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Dont you lose Points when you turn your combo tag back in as well? I ditched my Montan points this year. didnt feel like dealing with the complexity of it all.
The main thing regarding points people are bitching about now is that it takes 2-3 to draw a combo now. BUT if you do not apply in consecutive years you lose your general combo points. So for us guys that don't want to hunt general elk, we have to apply every year to even have a chance at the elk permit. If you skip applying a year you start at 0 points for your combo now.

JGross1

FNG

100%

Legend

WKR
I know a guy who drew a coveted deer tag. Tag showed up in the mail and it says "antlerless" but has the correct unit information and there isn't even an antlerless tag in the unit.

I applied for paddlefish and didn't draw. Their system failed to record the bonus point I purchased. When I emailed them they said I didn't buy one. I sent them a photo of my reciept and they made the correction. But the system failed to document the purchase so there is obviously a coding issue.

I have no trust left in MTfwp.

Legend

WKR
WTF vendor are they using for their systems? There is no way they have an IT team that designs and implements. They have to have a 3rd party vendor....or I guess not and that is the issue.

I never found MTs application process difficult to understand at all but the not printing tags, then printing tags, and the draw result releases and mistakes are mind boggling.

They should just print and send out new tags to the people that actually drew with a unique color or code on them. Hard to see how there NOT printing tags like they used to is saving them any money when this keeps happening.
MTFWP's draw system is from late 90's early 2000's and was originally created by a company in India.....seriously. That company had zero clue on what they were coding. It worked, sort of, but now evertime the make a change the coders don't see all the potential other issues. And now it is clearly neglected as they are spending millions on their own new system....because they were too special to use an existing process that other states have.

cgasner1

WKR

Those old printers actually burned the information into the paper it wasn’t ink. The paper changed and the printers are no longer strong enough to burn the information in that’s why they switched to these ridiculous paper tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting because I've got the exact same tags sent to me but I only have a $355.20 refund?

EDIT: Nevermind, I believe you mean that you got 2 deer and 1 elk tag for $700, not a $700 refund...

bsnedeker

WKR
So FWP claims they sent out 1200 general tags to dudes that chose to return their general if they didn't draw an LE permit.

No mention at all of them sending out LE permits to people who didn't draw them.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Checking my drawing status on FWP website showed success on elk combo, I elected to get the tags through their new app, which currently shows that I have not been issued any tags. Calling today

Legend

WKR
Checking my drawing status on FWP website showed success on elk combo, I elected to get the tags through their new app, which currently shows that I have not been issued any tags. Calling today
I would take a screen shot before FWP fixes anything.