MTN OPS Electrolytes STM Sticks Review, By Jared Bloomgren

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Athletes have known the importance of replacing electrolytes after physical exertion for years. As backcountry hunters, we also have a need for replenishing electrolytes so we can push harder and stay longer. In this review, Jared talks about the taste and benefits of Mtn Ops' new Electrolyte STM (straight to mouth) sticks.

MTN OPS Electrolyte STM Sticks Review

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm on the same page as you. The lime is the best. I can do the blueberry too, but I can't handle the pink. They're all a little rough and I generally have to chase them with a little water. They are effective though. I notice a significant energy increase while exerting energy in hiking and running. I'm not sure it's more effective than other products out there but the weight savings and convenience earns them a place in my pack, well except for the pink ones.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many per day would you recommend on an average back country hunt?

That is a good question! I am awaiting an answer back from MTN OPS on this as far as if there is a maximum recommended intake. I do know that too much electrolytes can also have a negative effect and cause harm to the body. Much of it would also depend on physical exertion and the amount of sweat (minerals) you have lost as well. I have always taken it when I feel the need for energy after exerting a bunch of energy resulting in a lot of loss of sweat (minerals). I have never used more than two per day and wouldn’t imagine needing more than that. More to follow.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many per day would you recommend on an average back country hunt?
That will largely depend on the hunt you're doing and the weather but for example archery elk in Colorado I'm probably going to bring 3 per day because it's hot and I sweat a lot and take as needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Matt.Davis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks! I will be waiting for the answer. we will be doing a early October Mule hunt in coulee type country. The exertion is moderate and temps don't get too high but we do work up a sweat. Nothing like a high country early season elk hunt though.

Hey brother, Matt from Mtn Ops here. Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing. Everyone is very different in how their body uses and absorbs fuel of any sort. That said, 3 a day is probably max and I'd always make sure that you take them when you need them. Electrolytes certainly don't replace the need to drink water, but if you're busting tail and getting after it on the mountain, they're an amazing tool to keep your body performing as best it can.

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey brother, Matt from Mtn Ops here. Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing. Everyone is very different in how their bodies use and absorb fuel of any sort, that said, 3 a day is probably max and I'd always make sure that you take them when you need them. Electrolytes certainly don't replace the need to drink water, but if you're busting tail and getting after it on the mountain, they're an amazing tool to keep your body performing as best it can.

Thank you Matt for jumping in to answer!

T_Nelomz

FNG
Hey brother, Matt from Mtn Ops here. Too much of a good thing, can be a bad thing. Everyone is very different in how their body uses and absorbs fuel of any sort. That said, 3 a day is probably max and I'd always make sure that you take them when you need them. Electrolytes certainly don't replace the need to drink water, but if you're busting tail and getting after it on the mountain, they're an amazing tool to keep your body performing as best it can.
Much appreciated! Thank you for the help!

Matt.Davis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Also as a 'hack' for those that do want something to taste a little sweeter, these mix INCREDIBLE with water. It's of course not needed and you're probably saying "that defeats the purpose of the straight to mouth applicaiton", but if you do have water and you wanna down them and have them be just as affective, with a better, less salty taste, they're great in a bottle of water. Pinks my jam.

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
Also as a 'hack' for those that do want something to taste a little sweeter, these mix INCREDIBLE with water. It's of course not needed and you're probably saying "that defeats the purpose of the straight to mouth applicaiton", but if you do have water and you wanna down them and have them be just as affective, with a better, less salty taste, they're great in a bottle of water. Pinks my jam.

I might have to try this, as I think it would make things go down easier. I do like the quick and easy electrolytes, but they are tough for me to get down without water any way. The first one I took I was expecting a little more like a pixie stick from my childhood so just dumped it all straight in my mouth. They are definitely way too strong for that. The flavor is good in my opinion, it's just way too concentrated for me without a swig of water to chase it.

I sweat a lot and have issues getting headaches in warm weather if I just drink water to replace what I'm losing. These have helped avoid those headaches, so the actual desired effect is definitely good, like most have said here, and I will continue to use them. As feedback though, if there is any way to tone done the flavor, I think that would make them a perfect product in my opinion.

Steadman

WKR
I've been using these for a couple months now. I work construction outside here in UT and it's been hot. I mix them with water and with other drinks as well. They have helped immensely! In fact we buy them for the crew as well. Everyone says the same thing and feel way better at the end of the day. I've definitely had more than three on certain days but when you work ten hours in 95 degree plus you tend to sweat a bit more. I can't recommend these enough to active guys and these will be awesome for anyone hunting in hit weather.

Matt.Davis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I might have to try this, as I think it would make things go down easier. I do like the quick and easy electrolytes, but they are tough for me to get down without water any way. The first one I took I was expecting a little more like a pixie stick from my childhood so just dumped it all straight in my mouth. They are definitely way too strong for that. The flavor is good in my opinion, it's just way too concentrated for me without a swig of water to chase it.

I sweat a lot and have issues getting headaches in warm weather if I just drink water to replace what I'm losing. These have helped avoid those headaches, so the actual desired effect is definitely good, like most have said here, and I will continue to use them. As feedback though, if there is any way to tone done the flavor, I think that would make them a perfect product in my opinion.

There's definitely more powder in these sleeves than our Multi-V and Biotic STM packs lol. It takes me a good 3-4 goes when I'm taking them straight to finish them. Flavors always a fairly subjective thing but we love any and all feedback! Appreciate ya giving them a try and great to hear they're working well.

C/O5150

FNG
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a good electrolyte supplement but there are so many out there these days it’s good to get reviews and feedback