Mule deer book?

chad1926

FNG
Whats your favorite mule deer bow hunting book? Have never hunted mule deer yet and looking for the basics for now

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dwight Schuh’s is the original go-to, and David Long’s “The Edge” has a bunch of archery content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelbiltz

WKR
Just ordered Robby’s book yesterday off Amazon. Can’t wait to dive into it. Although I will probably never top the buck I killed this year in Colorado with a smokepole im sure going to try this year in both WY and CO.

No problem, Robby. Mule deer are still mule deer all year round so I think your book provides a great foundation for any hunter. Happy to review anytime.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
No problem, Robby. Mule deer are still mule deer all year round so I think your book provides a great foundation for any hunter. Happy to review anytime.

You’re right and just spending time with them prepares you to hunt them better, no matter the weapon choice. I just like Schu’s and Long’s as they got into the nitty gritty of bowhunting for muley bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

chad1926

FNG
Where can I gets longs book at the edge? I can’t find it on the web

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" is your go-to book if you want info on hunting mule deer specifically with a bow. There are a ton of other books out there: Robby Denning's book is excellent on mule deer hunting with all weapons and he leaves you wanting for more by the end. Good read. David Long's 'The Edge" has good info, geared towards the trophy hunter, as is Robby's book. Walt Prothero has a couple of books that are probably out of print, but they are full of good info on mule deer in general. You really have to read between the lines in all of these books to grab off the details that spell success for a bow hunter, though. Patrick Meitin's 'Better Shooting' is a good, general guide to...better shooting. The full-length bible on archery hunting for mule deer has yet to be written. Maybe Randy Ulmer will pen that one.

Take note...most trophy sized mule deer bucks have all read every one of these books and are always one step ahead of you because of that.

All of the recommendations above are very good. You can't go wrong with any of them. All of the more recent ones devote some time to discussing how to play the point game and where to focus your efforts for larger, older animals.

I also like Wayne Van Zwoll's "Mastering Mule Deer". It might be out of print but I recently picked up a copy on AbeBooks. It is more about the biology of the various sub-groups of Mule Deer. Beyond specific tactics for hunting it is nice to find out what they eat (or don't) and all the other little bits a biologist is really interested in.

Whats your favorite mule deer bow hunting book? Have never hunted mule deer yet and looking for the basics for now
Can't go wrong with Robby's book "Hunting Big Mule Deer ". Not archery specific, but great info for getting started on how to hunt and kill mule deer. You can read it on Amazon or Kindle. ECT...

slosurfer

FNG
I'll second Dwight Schuh's book and Robby Denning's book. I really like that you can get Robby's book as a kindle edition, because I put it on my phone and was able to pull it up and get some refreshers during my hunt.

I just bought Robby's book and I can honestly say the story in the first 4 pages were worth the price of admission alone. I'm all fired up for the ND Badlands archery hunt my dad and and I are doing this fall! Bought dad a copy as well and I know he'll love it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Robby’s book. My wife hates it though, because she has a hard time getting my attention while I’m reading it 👍🏻