Mule Deer vs Elk

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a thing for Mule Deer. That being said Elk in the rut are a close second! If Washington had more favorable elk hunting it would be closer for me.

Hoytnut

FNG
No debate. Mule deer! With that said, elk can be useful - I once slipped in on a nice mulie buck who was preoccupied with a bugling herd bull and the commotion of his cows.

I've never hunted muleys, but I would really like to try it out. I'm more focused on killing my elk first, then muleys after, maybe because I've hunted whitetails so long that muleys don't do it for me yet.... I did stalk up onto a nice 5x5 muley while elk hunting in Idaho last year. Besides, I like game that I can call in to me (ducks/geese #1 followed by elk and then turkeys!)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do my best to love them the same. I have to pick one or the other when i am hunting though, especially with the bow. Otherwise I won't do either well.

Elk for sure. Nothing gets the blood pumping like hearing a big ol' mossy horned bruiser screamin' back at you from just yards away!

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Elk bugling in full rut only reminds of one thing, that I've missed my opportunity to kill that big muley while he was still in his velvet clad summer mode!!!

WyoBob

FNG
I must admit, elk hunting is fun but nothing like hunting mature mule deer. Biggest problem is that few places have the number and age necessary to produce real mule deer.

Muleys for me-

When I'm close to an elk all I see are groceries!

When I'm close to a Muley I pretty much have a heart attack and lose my mind at the same time :) !

bern0134

FNG
I grew up hunting mulies and so they're my favorite. But bull elk are a close second. Both can get the heart rate pumping. But I'm mostly looking to put meat in the freezer. If I can hang it on the wall that's just an added bonus :)

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
What are elk? Is there anything else besides Mule Deer? All my friends think I'm nuts but Muleys are it for this boy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Graylight,
we need you on the Mule Deer forum. Forgive me if I've missed you over there. "what are elk?" that's great...