Muley Freak Video

prm

WKR
Some background information if you care to read. It’s the state of Utah Decision and Order. It includes the background information.

Attachments

• Vanwoerkom, Erik - sDec & Order-1 2.pdf
    721.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Some background information if you care to read.
Sounds like the cry baby got off easy. He just needs to go away. I can't bring myself to even watch any of his stuff if even to see his sponsors. If there is a list, I would stop supporting them.

Lowndes

FNG
My comment was as well but I couldn't sleep the other night so perused their instagram profile. The buck was shot in November 2018 (or at least I saw the same picture then).

Unreal_TK

FNG
I think the videos are a compilation from a couple years in the works from what was written in a description I read somewhere.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I could honestly care less who follows and still likes Muleyfreak content and I want to leave this conversation to rest. But just seeing that the Mule Deer Foundation is still following and liking content made me cringe hard. I really hope they’re just ignorant to the facts and lack of ethics they have.
probably are. I was. I liked one of his FB post on Mexico then realized who it was.

Like many of us have, he screwed up. Just needs to pony up, and quit making excuses, get right by telling the truth, and this'll probably pass.

I'm always surprised when they try to defend the undefendable. They make it worse for themselves as they act like everyone is stupid.

He's feeling the pain, I promise.

prm

WKR
A comment about him “screwing up.” Just reading what someone writes can be taken differently than what the writer meant, so I’m not overly at odds with this, nor is this directed solely at Robbie’s comment above. But if by “screwing up” it is meant to suggest he simply made a mistake, I have to disagree. He did not make a one time mistake, or even make one bad choice. Had that been the case I could be very sympathetic. Things happen, I do get that. He has a pattern of poor choices. He chose to trespass, he chose to poach animals, on multiple occasions. This isn’t even the first time he’s had his license revoked. I’m not going to have any sympathy for him. He knew what he was doing.

Rich M

WKR
This happens to a lot of guys who try to be famous and make a living off of it. It seems to be rather common.

I do promote these "professionals" being held to a higher standard than the average Joe cause they are the most visible & vocal and set the standards whether we like it or not.

I’m disappointed with but not fired up against the guy... but I don’t buy his story for a second. His excuses may have worked in the 90’s or earlier but not today, not for a “pro”.

He admits that he had been in the area before and claims that the property owner falsely reported him to the ranger whom he further claims simply told him over the phone he was legal but it’s best to avoid the ‘crazy’ landowners there. I can believe in overzealous property owners, but that’s why you get your ducks 110% in a row with OnX or whatever other maps to defend yourself when hunting in the area. Even without OnX offline he should’ve known where the property lines were especially if he had problems in the area before

Because I developed a bad heart (pacemaker at 34), the vast majority of meat that my family eats is venison. There is a certain respect that should be rendered to the animals we kill so we can live.

This type of respect is lacking in the Muley Freak videos. The Montana deer and Idaho elk videos should be used as PETA commercial for the unethical killing of wild animals. I understand that stuff happens on the hill that can't be explained but bad shots at long distances are inexcusable. Especially if you are filming the hunt. The Utah antelope hunt is just sad. That is video where he gets mad because he hit the wrong buck.

The worst part, to me, is that they are monetizing hunting as unethical hunters. I love Kryptek gear but am having an internal struggle to buy more of their clothing while they are sponsoring this guy.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
A comment about him “screwing up.” Just reading what someone writes can be taken differently than what the writer meant, so I’m not overly at odds with this, nor is this directed solely at Robbie’s comment above. But if by “screwing up” it is meant to suggest he simply made a mistake, I have to disagree. He did not make a one time mistake, or even make one bad choice. Had that been the case I could be very sympathetic. Things happen, I do get that. He has a pattern of poor choices. He chose to trespass, he chose to poach animals, on multiple occasions. This isn’t even the first time he’s had his license revoked. I’m not going to have any sympathy for him. He knew what he was doing.
Oh yeah I don’t mean to soften it by saying “screwing up“. There was obviously it seems willful intent there on multiple occasions. I just meant there’s a lot of us that did things that were illegal, I know I did, and I don’t wanna sit on a perch and throw rocks at somebody too much. That’s all I mean.

The dude needs to come clean. And if he truly does come clean, he’ll never want to go back to living on the wrong side of the line again. That first night of really good sleep will remind him of that

Rich M

WKR
I do think that folks go through phases.

When we are young and impulsive, yes we do things that are wrong with much more regularity than more mature folks. You hit a point in life where you understand the satisfaction in obtaining your goal ethically & legally, as opposed to believing that the end justifies ANY means.

In 2017 or 2018, a guy in WY shot an awesome muley buck. When he got back to his truck he realized he was "100 yards" on the wrong side of an invisible line up on some mountain a couple miles in (or something like that). He turned himself in. The GWs asked him why he did that - guy said he could not look at that buck on his wall everyday knowing he was in the wrong when he shot it. It went as far as the GWs contacting the land owner and getting the guy permission but he wouldn't take the deer. This is in the WY Game Warden write-up if anyone wants to search and find the actual details as opposed to my memory.

We need more hunters like that as opposed to ones who put the trophy before doing the right thing.

Another guy tells a story about a turkey hunter who snuck up on his pet turkey next to his house in the front yard AFTER being told "no you can not hunt that turkey, it is my pet". Dude shoots the turkey, grabs it, huffs back to his truck and off into the sunset. LOL you can't make this stuff up. They never caught him.

Which guy would you rather hunt with?

Who would you say represents you the best?

Best you can do is stay off dude's channels so his counts go down and don't buy from his sponsors. If enough guys do that then things will change. Keep clicking and nothing will change.

CorbLand

WKR
We all make mistakes there is no doubt about it. I look back at many of the choice I made in my younger years and shake my head. I wish I could say that I only had to do that to my younger years but that would be a lie.

My problem is how he handled the situation. You screwed up, take the consequences and learn from them but nope, I am going to fight it until the end with the most lame reasons of why. First it was I didn’t trespass, that failed. Then it was that it wasn’t properly posted, that failed. Then it was how can I provide for my family, that failed. Then it was I am suicidal, that failed.

I get it. Anyone that has someone relying on them to support them financially could understand why that would be a concern. I have faced the suicidal thoughts and wish that on no one in this world. The reason I think the guy is a tool is not because of any of what he has done other than how he handled it. It never was that he didn’t do it, it’s that he didn’t want to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: