Must reads (hunting stories)

Looking for recommendations on books you can’t put down, Jim Corbett’s stories did that for me but I haven’t found anything quite as compelling. Any thoughts, I haven’t picked up O’Connor, am I blowing it? In a reading funk and want to pick up something fun to read.
Thanks guys and gals.

SWOHTR

WKR
O'Connor is fine.
I just read The Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway, it was OK at best...there were a few good passages towards the very end that got my attention otherwise I wasn't too enamored with it.

Mt Al

WKR
Some recommendations:

Dersu the Trapper
Alaska's Wolf Man
Death in a Lonely Land
Jaguar Hunting in the Mato Grosso and Bolivia - great book!
The Last Ivory Hunter
Hunting on Three Continents is a good O'Connor book IMHO
Another Capstick book that's not really about hunting, but is a great book, is Warrior.

OP
Sierra Hunter
Some recommendations:

Dersu the Trapper
Alaska's Wolf Man
Death in a Lonely Land
Jaguar Hunting in the Mato Grosso and Bolivia - great book!
The Last Ivory Hunter
Hunting on Three Continents is a good O'Connor book IMHO
Another Capstick book that's not really about hunting, but is a great book, is Warrior.
I’ve heard great things about the Jaguar book, you interested in selling your copy? They’re scare if I remember correctly

NB7

WKR
Capstick. Death In The Long Grass.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I'll 2nd that one all day long. Great hunting stories with dry wit. Read it as a kid and still have it now to pick up every now and then

ODB

WKR
'Sagittarius' by Bob Swinehart.

A man of exquisite taste - well played.

I’ll add:

Land of feast and famine - helge ingestad
Months of the Sun - Ian Nyschens
Horned Death - John Burger
West with the Night - BEryl Markham
Out of Africa - Blixen
The Tree where man was born - Peter Mattheison
The Old Way - Helen Marshall Thomas

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
d38a5d8aa7736a10bbe14993bbc0a89e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale. Best hunting story ever, and also the best American prose poem/book ever written.

If that's too literary, go for "In the Heart of the Sea; The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" Sperm whale say hell no, rams the whaleship, drama and cannabalism ensues....author is not too talented but the story is good enough to make up for it.
View attachment 378125

You hitting on all 8 cylinders. Both great books.

I read Philbricks book after reading Endurance, by Alfred Lansing - which is of course about Ernest Shackleton.

Those are great books to read back-to-back as they follow a similar trajectory of tragedy with very different outcomes due to leadership.

Mt Al

WKR
Dersu Uzala is a top 5 movie also. When Dersu starts going blind at the end and he's staying in the captain's apartment, man that's a tear-jerker. Same when Dersu goes off to be alone while the soldiers are getting drunk.
I had no idea it was a movie! Thanks and will be watching that asap.

Mt Al

WKR
I’ve heard great things about the Jaguar book, you interested in selling your copy? They’re scare if I remember correctly

Looks like Safari Press has some copies:

I'd like to cling to my copy, so fun to read through every few years. Thanks though.

craig7-11

FNG
Wild men, wild Alaska- Rocky McElveen
Journel of a trapper- Osborne Russel
Wild sports in the far West- Friedrich Gerstacker

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Rangers, Trappers, Trailblazers by John Fraley. not all hunting but some interesting history in northwest montana and the bob marshall wilderness. I have not read his other books, but he has a few others on the history in this area.