My experience with MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe vs: Soto Windmaster

In the image the Windmaster is left the Deluxe is right.

First off, the piezo lighter on the Deluxe is sub-par. It barely worked on my bench, it did not work for me in the field even though I could see the spark. The piezo lighter on the Soto works almost without fail.

As far as pot stability, the arms on the Deluxe (right) are much better. I also like that they are permanently connected to the base, you are not going to lose them. There are two options for the support arms on the Soto, I only have the dainty 3-point shown here. The Soto is super lightweight but the detachable support arms are an item that could be easily lost or misplaced. I have used both with my hacked heat exchanger boil pot and a flat bottom Evernew ceramic coated cook pan.

Now let's talk about the fire. They can both produce a serious bolt of flame. What I've found using them both between 5000ft and 12000ft is that the regulator in the Deluxe is superior. The Deluxe can hold a steady flame at a much lower rate of flow, which is much better for simmering (rehydrating my own dried meat) or scrambling powdered eggs mix. Also it might be anecdotal but I think the Deluxe does better in wind than the Windmaster. The Soto seems to get pretty sputtery in the wind, especially when it's cold.

Soto Windmaster with heat exchange pot:

Attachments

• 20190618_040025.jpg
    20190618_040025.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 84
OP
backcountryshaffer
Really liking the PR deluxe so far. The piezo on mine works great. Maybe you got a bad one?
I think it is a design flaw in the PR Deluxe. I can visually see the spark hit the burner but I believe that the way the burner diffuser is designed the spark won't light the isobutane when the atmospheric pressure is too low. I can get it to light in my garage at 5800ft, but not at high altitude.

Here's an image of my Primus heat exchanger pot hack with the PR Deluxe nested in it. Heats water like a nuke.

View attachment 122447
I like this idea, and I've considered doing the same basic thing to one of my Jetboil pots, but I'm having a hard time making the cut. It looks like it would help considerably with pot stability, but do you see a big benefit regarding fuel efficiency and the fins on the bottom of the pot? Have you done any testing with the same stove and using different pots, to see if there's much of an advantage with the finned pot?

OP
backcountryshaffer
Well to prevent speculation I just tested it. This test is at 5850 ft with the same measured amount of water. The Evernew Ti pot hit rolling boil at 2:04. The hacked anodized aluminum heat exchanger pot with insulator hit rolling boil at 1:36. That's a marked difference in fuel consumption over the course of a trip!

I like this idea, and I've considered doing the same basic thing to one of my Jetboil pots, but I'm having a hard time making the cut. It looks like it would help considerably with pot stability, but do you see a big benefit regarding fuel efficiency and the fins on the bottom of the pot? Have you done any testing with the same stove and using different pots, to see if there's much of an advantage with the finned pot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190921-105918_Clock.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-105918_Clock.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
Cool. One more question, any issues/worries with the koozie melting or burning on the bottom? I'm just wondering if I would have any issues using the JB koozie. I didn't really think that would be an option because when I use other pots, I have to keep the flame turned waaay down in order for it not to wrap up around the sides of the pot.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome, thanks for starting the thread. What helped my Soto pot holder a ton was switching to the 4 prong instead of the 3. It doesn't come off near as easy.

OP
backcountryshaffer
Cool. One more question, any issues/worries with the koozie melting or burning on the bottom? I'm just wondering if I would have any issues using the JB koozie. I didn't really think that would be an option because when I use other pots, I have to keep the flame turned waaay down in order for it not to wrap up around the sides of the pot.
You can see in that dark photo of the Soto that it spikes a bit of a flame out of the hacked side of the pot, but I've never had an issue with it burning the koozie.
HOWEVER: Don't run it dry or it will melt that thing faster than you can react. I had a buddy try it just to dry it out real quick, and it went sideways fast.

OP
backcountryshaffer
Awesome, thanks for starting the thread. What helped my Soto pot holder a ton was switching to the 4 prong instead of the 3. It doesn't come off near as easy.
I agree that the 4 prong on the Soto is much more stable than either it's own 3 prong or that on the PR Deluxe. My problem with the 4 prong on the Soto is that my hacked heat exchanger pot doesn't fit. :|

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you don't want to worry about cutting up a JB pot, just get an Olicamp XTS pot and modify it to try. You can always fashion a removable koozie if need be. Those pots are pretty cheap, around $20 and about 6oz or so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto on the Olicamp pot. Been using one for the last 3-4yrs with a Soto Amicus stove--the little brother to the Soto Windmaster.

davescarp

WKR
the shapes of those pots are pretty different. you think that contributes to the difference in boiling time as well?

tdot

WKR
the shapes of those pots are pretty different. you think that contributes to the difference in boiling time as well?

If anything, typically wider pots will boil faster then tall skinny pots. So I would hazard a guess that this test was skewed in favour of the Evernew pot. Though any testing I've done has always been at sea level, which doesnt always correlate to elevation.

tdot

WKR
Well to prevent speculation I just tested it. This test is at 5850 ft with the same measured amount of water. The Evernew Ti pot hit rolling boil at 2:04. The hacked anodized aluminum heat exchanger pot with insulator hit rolling boil at 1:36. That's a marked difference in fuel consumption over the course of a trip!

View attachment 122484
View attachment 122488

View attachment 122486
View attachment 122487

What was the volume of water? (500mL?) All my tests are at sea level, so your info has alot more relevance then what I've seen.