Soto Windmaster & Amicus Nesting Options

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking at picking up a Soto Windmaster (or possibly an Amicus) to pair with a titanium pot. Being from Texas whenever I get out west to hunt it is usually for at least 6 days and more like 7-8 days. It also looks like for the foreseeable future they will be trips like last year which were 15 miles in and 15 miles out. All of this has led me to the point of going with a lightweight stove as opposed to an all-in-one system like the MSR Windburner. Beyond that I'm leaning to the Soto products for their performance in wind hopefully reducing the amount of fuel required and lightening up the pack that way as well.

Right now I am leaning towards a Toaks 650 mL pot. I'm not a coffee drinker and really only need to boil water in the evening for a dehydrated meal so 2 cups is really the max I should need to boil. Does anyone have any experience with nesting these two stoves in that specific pot and still getting the lid on top? Or being able to add other items like maybe a mini bic or folding spork? Or maybe it would have to be the 750 ml pot to add those other items? I would also be interested in hearing about nesting in other pots. Much obliged for the help folks.

rj2

WKR
I think the 650 will nest a 4oz canister, stove, and mini bic with the lid on. the 700 should nest a 8oz canister, but adding the stove makes it so lid cant sit flush if I remember correctly. I can confirm for you tomorrow and take some pics if you need. I have both the 650 and 700, and the amicus

Mosby

WKR
I use an MSR Titan kettle. The MSR is a bit less than 900 ml I think. The Windmaster has a long stem but fits inside although I recently switched to a Kovea Spider for cold weather use. I carry the fuel canister separately. I like to drink coffee and tea, so I pack an extra mug for that. An X mug fits perfectly in the bottom of the MSR along with stove, a bic and folding ti spork.

I prefer the MSR because the lid fits tight compared to others. I don't like loose lids. I also tend to use more water than called for with dehydrated meals, so I like a bit larger pot. I made a reflectex cosy for it and with that, it fits perfectly inside a Mors bush pot, which I keep in base camp to boil larger amounts of water or snow for drinking or clean up. The whole kit combined covers all my needs and is about perfect for me.

Tradchef

WKR
I run a windmaster and a toaks 750. Holds everything right in there really nicely. I’m a tea drinker so it works great for that with some hot lips.

Drenalin

WKR
I can't fit the Windmaster and a fuel canister in my Toaks Light 650 pot. I like the Toaks pot and the Windmaster is a great stove, just wish that stem could be a little shorter. Sounds like you'll have to do a 750ml pot or go with a different stove. I don't know if the Amicus would fit because I haven't tried it. I ended up buying a BRS stove so I could keep everything in my 650 pot.

OP
T

The Angelo Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and went with the TOAKS Light Titanium 650 mL Pot. For folks looking at this in the future and trying to research I'll explain what my system is going to be and how it works/fits together.

So with the 650 mL TOAKS I of course nest a 4 oz canister. On top of that I a Soto Windmaster with the 4Flex pot support and then a TOAKS Titanium Folding Spork (Small). I didn't have a mini Bic on me but it sounds like from other folks that that would fit under the canister (or a spark wheel). All this keeps the lid from sitting flush by maybe 1/4". However, for me this was OK as I will keep it all in the TOAKS mesh sack and that will hold the lid down and keep it all from moving around. Plus I can use the mesh sack as a scrubber to clean up with if need be. I just wanted as small of a package as I could get.

See photos attached.

One other note is I have since put the Windmaster and pot support in the sack it comes with to just help prevent any scratching. This has not changed the fit up of everything.IMG_4697.JPGIMG_4698.JPGIMG_4699.JPG

Jbehredt

WKR
Is the 650 the same diameter as the 550? If so there is a silicone lid that seals perfectly and will give you just a smidge of flexible head room to securely nest your contents. I bought a pair of them on from a member here who ordered a handful to meet the minimum.