My First Ever Buck finished by my taxidermist - So happy!

OP
Mike Islander
I remember those hot August steam baths,lol. Beautiful deer though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yes, this guy was killed the first week of October and the high was 82, probably 77 when I shot him. You can see how bad I was sweating after dragging him 50 - 60 yards through the woods. Charleston is like a warm wet blanket most of the year. 🥵😄

OP
Mike Islander
Thanks everyone. Really a happy event and a great mount. Felt a little funny having him there looking at me today while I ate a huge bowl of shoulder roast stew.

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! I couldn’t imagine living in the low country of South Carolina and not having killed a buck until 57 ! You’re living in a deer shooting gallery ! Good hunting this fall ! Now head out west and kill a mule deer.

OP
Mike Islander
Our club has a minimum 8 point rule with a stiff fine for taking anything less. He stepped out at last shooting light and after I shot my first thought was "Hmmm, I wonder how many points he has?" Thought I might have to write a check until I found him. I follow the club rules religiously but my brain would have no part of thinking about points once I realized he had a decent rack. I guess my own personal case of buck fever.

OP
Mike Islander
Congratulations, really nice looking mount!

I think so too. So many times you see mounts and think they aren't quite right. This one looks almost perfect to me. Only thing more accurate that I can think of is the ears. I think they would more likely be sticking out to the sides more. But even bucks with big racks can stick them straight up. I just haven't seen that very often (watched a lot of deer in the woods before I ever shot one). The deer is "prettier" with ears up, so I have no complaints.

barkdevi

FNG
Shot my first ever buck at age 57 on my 35th wedding anniversary. I have always hunted small game and birds, and even sat in the woods on occasion "hunting" deer. Finally pulled the trigger, literally. My wife was out of town on our anniversary and I wanted to do something fun and memorable, and then this happened right before dark. So pleased with the job Cordray's did on the mount.

View attachment 176864View attachment 176865
That's awesome!! Good job! That's a nice mount! Best of luck in your upcoming hunts.