My impressions of Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Axis Hybrid, Pnuma Waypoint and Condor Summit

Skybuster

FNG
Jackets were not field-tested, so not a real review, only impression/overview inside the house and outside, as the temperature raised a bit this past few days.
Breathability and wind protection were not tested as the wind also died.

Edit: for some reason the table don’t work on the Tapatalk app so is better to use a Computer.

My original post asking about jackets - https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/soft-shell-with-pit-zips-hood-and-solid-color.250452/

I did the best I could.
Hope you guys like it:
Sitka JetstreamKuiu AxisPnuma WaypointCondor SummitPnuma Selkirk
Main zipperFeels okFeel good, have small resistance to it, last 3” catches on the inside zipper protection so is hard to zip, not sure if this is a defect QC issue or all of them are like this.Feels awesome smooth no resistanceFeels awesome smooth no resistance As is waterproof it have some resistance to it
Chest pocket zipperFeel fragile, cheapHave a lot of resistance due to the waterproof design.Feel awesome smooth no resistance Feel ok 2nd bestsame as above
Hand zipperFeel fragile, cheapFeel ok, a bit better than SitkaFeel awesome smooth no resistance Feel goodsame as above
Pit zipsFeel fragile, cheap. easy to open close.Feel ok, a bit better than Sitka. Easy to open, due to slack have to wiggle it to closeFeel awesome smooth no resistance, super easy to open/close. There are holes at the bottom see pics. QC or normal not sure, under the tab.Feel good, easy to open/closesame as above
Inside zippersN/AN/AFeel goodFeel greatfeel good
Hand pocket sizeIs greatIs good. Just wish it was a little lowerIs good, the cuff/sleeve catches on the zipper so is hard to get the sleeve inside the pocket. The warmest by far.Not as depth but tall, I wish it was deeper and that they were located lower.Is great, the cuff also catches but after adjusting the velcro is much easier to get your hand inside as is less bulk than the Waypoint.
Chest pocket sizeIs great, super bigSmall pocketIt has a weird shape but is bigThe hand pocket feels like chest pocket as they are located high. Are high to clear a backpack belt.Good size can fit fist
Arm pocketsN/AN/A1 Small good size3 good size for small items1 small good size
Inside pocketsN/AN/A2 big weird shape like the front chest pockets.2 medium-size2 good size
Noise room 35.5dBA taken from about 3’7” away59.557.947.659.544.5
HoodEasy to adjust/release. Lining thickness feels like the AxisEasy to adjust / not so easy to release. Lining thickness feels like the SitkaEasy to adjust/ not so easy to release the front sides the back one is easy. Thick fleece liningBig, two hands to adjust each size, easy to release. No fleece liningFit me good, did not had to adjust
Hood Side to side after adjustmentsGood, move with you but don’t have a lot of slack so get tighter at the ends.Good, same as SitkaGood slackerGood not much resistance at the endsis ok.
Forearm fitFeel greatFeels athletic, wish just a bit more slackGreatGreatGreat
Chin coverageI wish it was higher. Small pressure when you look down.Is hard to zip the last part but chin coverage is great. Don’t feel pressure when you look downI wish it was higher, is low so you don’t feel discomfort when you look downIs great, like the Axis touch your chin, no pressure when you look down.I wish it was higher, no discomfort when you look down
WarmokokGreatGoodGreat
DWRWithout rubbing water droplets were already sticking, after rub much worse absorbedWater droplets slide easily, I say a bit better than Pnuma. Much better than SitkaWater droplets slide easy, after a soft rubbing water stick and absorbedLook good on part or better than KUIU including rubbing water in.Good, after rubbing the water in it wet out but I doubt it goes in
Final thoughtNo Velcro cuffs, small zippers don’t belong in a $350 jacket they feel cheap. Overall I would pick over the Axis, because the main zipper doesn't catch on the inside.Hand pocket higher than what I like, I know is for the belt. The main zipper catches on the inside protection so is hard to close the last 3”. The small zippers don’t feel as cheap as Sitka but don’t feel like they belong at this price point.I'm not sure if the Pit zip location would be as good as under the arm. The chest area is big, down at the waistband/skirt is better, not sure how a medium would fit there. The outside feels the softest is more of a fleece shell than a softshell. You can feel the fleece backer is much thicker. To me is the clear winner, the style I like is a modern Avenger type. It might look a bit more discreet without the shoulder and elbow Pnuma grid. So truly the only concern is the pit zip location and the front hood release mechanism is not as easy to make the bungee cord retract. Probably would order the M and see how it feels. You could see holes at the end of zippers, QC issue?I wish it had lower hand pockets and deeper. I don’t like the side Velcro patches. It has a big back pocket not sure for what. This jacket is great for the price. But due to the location of the hand pockets, it doesn’t feel natural to have your arms at 90* while resting them inside the pockets. It would be the clear winner. It might work for you. The zippers are much better than Sitka and KUIU. Pnuma has the best ones overall.The Upper torso fit is super good. It slim down at the waist so is a tight fit I cant get my fist to fit under. Im afraid the Large would be to bulky in the upper torso. The cuff on this one are less bulky than the waypoint so is easier to slide hand inside pocket after adjusting them. Is pretty silent
Weight Ounces24.9 size L23.7 size L39.6 size L. It does feel bulky/heavy I believe the M size would feel great.34.6 size M. This is a comfy weight36.8 size M

Zipper depth measurements
SitkaKuiuPnumaCondorSelkirk
Hand pocketabout 8''under 7''7''under 6''did not measure
Chest pocket8.5''4.5''7.5''N/A
Inside pocketsN/AN/A7.5''4''
Arm PocketsN/AN/A4.5''5.5'' upper by velcro patch, 3'' lower by the cuff
Back pocketN/AN/AN/AOver 12'' super big

Sitka, Kuiu, Pnuma, Condor
1.jpg
Sitka, Kuiu
2.jpg
Pnuma, Condor
3.jpg
Inside hand pockets
Sitka - both sides thin fleece
IMG-4965.jpg
Kuiu - have mesh towards the belly might not be as warm
IMG-4966.jpg
Pnuma - have thick fleece warmest pockets
IMG-4969.jpg
Condor - have some small dividers, have a mesh lining towards the front of the jacket, I say second warmest pockets
IMG-4970.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-4973.jpg
    IMG-4973.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-4972.jpg
    IMG-4972.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-4971.jpg
    IMG-4971.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Hoods
Sitka - feel on part with Kuiu
IMG-4971.jpg
Kuiu - feel on part with Sitka
IMG-4972.jpg
Pnuma - thick fleece
IMG-4973.jpg
Condor - feels thin
IMG-4974.jpg

Pnuma pit zipper
IMG-4977.jpg
Both pit zips
IMG-4979.jpg

Last edited:

ttltown

WKR
Never had the pnuma or condor but I own the jet and axis as well as first lite catalyst. Generally prefer catalyst because it feels better and breathes better and for mobile western hunting works better for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Nice initial report. Going off first impressions which would you keep?

More than likely would be the Pnuma.
It might be overkill for most of my winter, but at least I won’t suffer on the next soccer game if is windy.
I already contacted them about how the Medium would fit around the waist.
As the Large is super loose/baggy around the chest and shoulders but fit good around the waist.

The Sitka and Axis seem to be good but NOT at those prices. Definitely overpriced when compared to the Condor.
The Condor have more of the big teeth YKK zippers and they feel better than the tiny ones on Sitka and KUIU.

So if someone is looking for a Solid color jacket should give the Condor a try.
As hand pocket placement is a personal thing, for me they are to high.

My next purchase would be the KUIU Peloton 240 hoodie for warmer days.
Not sure if there something out there similar wind resistant for less $$

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Never had the pnuma or condor but I own the jet and axis as well as first lite catalyst. Generally prefer catalyst because it feels better and breathes better and for mobile western hunting works better for me

They definitely are thicker than the Sitka and KUIU so they might not work for you unless is really cold.

Specially the Pnuma have a thick fleece backer/lining.

Between the Sitka and KUIU I would choose the Sitka the big pockets are nice, plus I like more where it have the pocket locations, I just wish it had Velcro at the cuff.

jd1006

WKR
That’s quite the weight difference for the pnuma. I don’t know how many people pack their soft shell, but that plays into my decisions.

Superdoo

WKR
The Condor is the same jacket as the Rothco! Well poop. I guess I over paid!
If anyone wants to give a Large a try do a search for “Poor Man’s Jetstream” in the classifieds.

I really like the Jetstream overall, but I love both of my Pnuma pants so I wouldn’t hesitate to give their jackets a try.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
On this one I used a Patagonia R1 as a mid layer
Sitka Jetstream
Kuiu AxisPnuma WaypointCondor Summit
Neck Pressure Feel some
pressure when looking down
No pressure when you look downNo pressure when looking downSmall amount of pressure when looking down
Elbow Pressure 90*Small pressuresmall pressureLeast amountsmall pressure
Overall FitgoodgoodFit great super roomygood

During this test when I moved my forearm up to create a 90* I felt air rushing out on the Sitka so that tells me is super air tight.
The others I did not felt that.

just I reminder the main zipper on the KUIU is super annoying, it always get caught on those tabs/protections
IMG-4985.jpg

Another unscientific test I did, was air resistance.
It was hard to blow air through the Sitka, KUIU, and Condor.
But it was much easier to blow air through the Pnuma.
Pnuma stated on the page is windproof up to 50mph, Im not sure on that.

Again im not sure if that translates to the Pnuma not being windproof but im surprised how easy it was in comparison to the other 3.

That’s quite the weight difference for the pnuma. I don’t know how many people pack their soft shell, but that plays into my decisions.

Yea, I dont think is for everyone, The Condor might weigh the same but for this, I only had a Medium on hand, so the Medium Pnuma might be close but still over 30oz.

The Condor is the same jacket as the Rothco! Well poop. I guess I over paid!
If anyone wants to give a Large a try do a search for “Poor Man’s Jetstream” in the classifieds.

I really like the Jetstream overall, but I love both of my Pnuma pants so I wouldn’t hesitate to give their jackets a try.

Now I'm not 100% sure I would keep the Pnuma, is fairly easy to blow air through it compared to the other 3 so I dont know if that has any significant value regarding the jacket being windproof.

I would definitely pick the Jetstream over the Axis, and the Condor.

What pants from their line do you have?

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Update,
After some more head banging on the wall I won’t even keep the Pnuma, it just don’t feel like it would be wind resistant.

It failed this test.

(hold the fabric against your mouth and blow against it as hard as you can. An average adult can generate a maximum pressure of approximately 2 pounds per square inch this way, which is roughly the equivalent of a 20 mph wind…)

The other 3 pass that test with flying colors.

So my saga continues for a mid-heavy jacket windproof and with pit zips.

Other choice I started considering is to try this one https://beyondclothing.com/products/k5-aptus-jacket?variant=31782858293310

But would have to get it altered for the pit zips.
I’m trying to avoid that extra step.

As the Kenai is out of stock in solid colors, that another one on the list.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
What about the Pnuma Selkirk? It is wind proof but might be a little warm for your needs I love mine.

I just wish they had it in solid colors.

It should work good I guess I run on the cold side.

Not sure if there anything else out there similar with pit zips.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I just wish they had it in solid colors.

It should work good I guess I run on the cold side.

Not sure if there anything else out there similar with pit zips.

Well camofire has them for a great deal today FYI.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Well camofire has them for a great deal today FYI.

O wow that a great price to try the Selkirk.

Even that I was not looking for a camouflage color.
It just weird with Pnuma their color selection on their page don’t offer that color, and my Waypoint is also a different color.

If the Selkirk is built like the waypoint and is truly windproof is a winner.

Would order a Medium and see how it feels.

Thanks.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
O wow that a great price to try the Selkirk.

Even that I was not looking for a camouflage color.
It just weird with Pnuma their color selection on their page don’t offer that color, and my Waypoint is also a different color.

If the Selkirk is built like the waypoint and is truly windproof is a winner.

Would order a Medium and see how it feels.

Thanks.

I think they discontinued that color and that's why the deal.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
If you see this before I order do they run big?

The waypoint run plenty big, I have the Large.
Was going to switch for a Medium but not anymore, as I would order the Selkirk.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
If you see this before I order do they run big?

The waypoint run plenty big, I have the Large.
Was going to switch for a Medium but not anymore, as I would order the Selkirk.

Not sure where I heard this, but someone mentioned they are cut the same. I would say mine runs a little big.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Thanks,

Just ordered would post back once I get it.

Something that not 100% clear is that some places say the Selkirk is warmer others the Waypoint don’t remember where I read that or if it was a YouTube video.
But either way it should still be warmer than the Jetstream and similar soft shells as it have the Pnuma grid fleece lining.