My impressions of Sitka Jetstream, Kuiu Axis Hybrid, Pnuma Waypoint and Condor Summit

Johbran

Lil-Rokslider
For layering underneath the Pnuma would you size up one or stay with normal size if they run a bit big?

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Update:
Received the Selkirk in Medium

Quick impression.
The upper torso fit much better the lower waist area I think is to tight hard to fit my fist. Would double check how it feel compare to the other later.

This one passed the blow air test while his brother the Waypoint failed.

So I guess I have two choices, try to exchange it for a Large and have the risk of the upper area being baggy like the Waypoint or keep the Jetstream and get something like a Peloton 240 or Strongfleece 280 once they come back in stock.

Not many option with pit zips in solid colors and with fleece lining.
Even that this Selkirk don’t fall into the solid color part as is Camo.

Pnuma so far have the thickest fleece lining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
The ones I saw don’t have a full zipper.

I would prefer a full front zipper.

Apparently those options from KUIU are also fairly good when used on their own.

At this point I’m not sure if I am missing any other brand with a possible option, I guess I’m to picky.

But so far some have the hand pocket to high for my liking, not deep enough hand pockets, front zipper catches on the double fabric, thin lining, no pit zips, no solid colors.

At this point I’m not sure if I am missing any other brand with a possible option, I guess I’m to picky.
I have an Arc'teryx Gamma MX in solid green. The only thing it's missing is pit zips which I really miss. I'm debating one of the jackets on your list, but would be curious how it stacks up.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
I have an Arc'teryx Gamma MX in solid green. The only thing it's missing is pit zips which I really miss. I'm debating one of the jackets on your list, but would be curious how it stacks up.

If weight is a good indicator then it might actually be less warm but it should not be by that much.
I have a hard time telling a difference in lining thickness between the Kuiu Axis and Sitka Jetstream. Those weight about 4 more Ounces than the Gamma.

As of right now I would place them:
Jetstream - subject to change.
Selkirk - No solid color option, but is warmer.
Condor - not bad for the price, shallow hand pockets that why not #1

Tie for I would not recommended:
Waypoint - as it failed the wind test
Axis - is a pain to close the main zipper

Understood, but I will say, a Jetstream Jacket with either a fanatic hoody or 1/4 mid/heavy weight are a tough combination to beat........best of luck in your search.

Still trying to understand what category the build in lining fall in. If is about 130gsm

Then Im pretty sure the Peloton would be overkill but they don’t offer thinner ones with full zip.

The saga continues I’m to picky.
Just ordered another jacket that look great let see how it feels.

Nomad Barrier Nxt Wind & Waterproof www.amazon.com/dp/B08WYK4F52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_NBTXX3HXZHTXVSGHYW3R

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Some more photos for those that like pics.

Pnuma Selkirk

The arm sleeve has that lining that is NOT as thick as the rest of the grid fleece.
IMG_4997.jpg

The hand pocket won't be as warm as the waypoint: no thick lining, but because is windproof it should be better.
IMG_4998.jpg
____
Jetstream fit good
1.jpg
2.jpg
Axis fits good I like it the most I think but only the fit the overall jacket I wont recommend
3.jpg
4.jpg
Waypoint fit big, especially the upper torso and arm area
5.jpg
6.jpg
Condor fit good
7.jpg8.jpg

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Selkirk fit good only the upper body including the arms
9.jpg
The lower area waist is the tightest but is also size Medium.
IMG_5010.jpg

would update the table to add the Selkirk, for those that wonder is the quietest so far 44.5dBA. I just wish it came in solid color not 100% sold in camo for everyday use.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Update:

I ended up keeping the Axis the one I said I would not recommend based on the main zipper catching the double fabric at the top, now it feels easier to close but you can still feel that.
Basically, kept it because of the good windproof / air pressure test / waterproof on some areas and color black.

I added two more jackets to the test the Nomad Barrier NTX and Guide DCS.

Let me say im super impressed with the Nomad, this thing is also super windproof it passed the air pressure test and water test, I was not able to have water pass even trying to push the water in, the outside ended up feeling wet but nothing on the inside.
Plus this jacket has great pockets they are big, this is the jacket to get for the price I say is a much better value than the Jetstream.

The Guide fit nice is quiet but it failed the wind pressure test, felt like the Nomad had no wind resistance to the pressure test at all.
The Peloton Fleece 240 beanie has a much better wind resistance to the pressure test for those that have that fabric.

I was thinking the fabric the Axis used on the non-waterproof panels and the Guide DCS fabric were the same but they are NOT.

Strange the Guide size L weighed at 23.4oz even though it has more pockets I was expecting a full 1oz more VS the Axis L 23.7oz
The Nomad weight L at 31.9oz

Noise test, Guide 50.5dBA, Nomad 52.8dBA.

I ended up keeping the Nomad and Axis, completely unnecessary as they are both on part but due to color, and due to the Nomad bigger pit zip, it could be used when is warmer.

Now I have to figure out what insulation to use under when it gets colder, Strongfleece 280, Peloton 240, Kenai, Versa or another brand.

The Nomad has the biggest pit zips of all of them, here is a photo next to the Guide DCS. Nomad left, Guide right
IMG_5025.jpg

Inside fleece, Left Nomad, right Guide DCS
IMG_5026.jpg

BCsteve

WKR
How's the fit of the Guide vs the Axis? I have the Guide and although it fits well i find the fit too "athletic" for layering, especially in the arms.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Have you thought of trying the SG M7? Might suit your needs
Yes, I looked at it, but the hand pocket location seems too high for my liking. As is made for the backpack belt. And that's why I dint even ordered it.
That is one of my dislikes about the Axis.
At this rate in a few months, he will have tried every Jacket made! lol
I got the most popular ones sold in solid colors. But I'm done :)
How's the fit of the Guide vs the Axis? I have the Guide and although it fits well i find the fit too "athletic" for layering, especially in the arms.
I would post photos of them one jacket over the other, that would give you a better idea.
And try them again back to back to give you a better response.

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
The black is the Axis, brown Guide DCS.
They are pretty similar once you have them one.
The big difference is the waist area, the Guide is smaller. And also on the front, the Guide is shorter, the back there pretty even. Chest area I say they even as well.
IMG_5089.jpg

Nomad Barrier NXT - Large
IMG-5034.jpg
IMG-5042.jpg
KUIU Guide DCS - Large
IMG-5072.jpg
IMG-5080.jpg

Im done with testing :).

Keeping the Nomad and Axis.

I just wish the Axis had more pockets and bigger.
The only downside to the Nomad for me is the color I would have preferred a dark gray or black. The Nomad is pretty much 100% windproof by the pressure test.
Also waterproof as I was not able to get water to the other side, it does wet out but that is only the outside.

So the Nomad is the real Sitka Jetstream killer well except that it weighs more.

I wish KUIU used the non-waterproof panel on the Axis for the GUIDE DCS then it would have been an amazing jacket. But as is there no resistance to the pressure test.

bozeman

WKR
Breathability of the Nomad? I realize it has pit zips, but.......not bad for $115......

jd1006

WKR
The fabric on the subalpine Jetstream is much quieter than the solid Jetstream…for those wondering. Also, there’s two more pockets on the subalpine Jetream than there is on the solid. I didn’t expect those differences, but it really improves the jacket with that quieter fabric (in my eyes).

OP
S

Skybuster

FNG
Breathability of the Nomad? I realize it has pit zips, but.......not bad for $115......

The good thing it have the biggest pit zips of all the jackets.

I did not test to see the second place but the Nomad is easy the 1st.

Breathability - I suspect it should be on part with the Jetstream and Axis. I have no way to test that.
And is warmer again so I have not been using it.

But Is super hard to impossible to pass air through the fabric. Doing the mouth test. Just like the Jetstream and Axis.

This Jacket is a great deal for what you get.
Big pockets, big pit zips, windproof, baggie to layers under it, slightly quieter than the other two.
Only real down size it weight 7-8oz more that those other two jackets.

jd1006

WKR
They are running a decent sale on the nomad barrier…I grabbed one for $112. I’m interested to see how it compares.