My People... Looking for Employment

eltaco

WKR
Personally, I think there are a lot of jobs that went remote due to COVID and many of those positions never worked their way back to a traditional in-person office setting.

Many companies want to see these employees come back to work, as culture suffered along with it. The more senior employees enjoy the space, but the less experienced hires are suffering from lack of collaboration and mentorship.

A lot of people suddenly feel entitled to a remote position and haven’t recognized that the narrative has flipped for many companies. If you have a prospective opportunity that’s local and in-person, I wouldn’t recommend leading with telling them you want to be fully remote… unless that’s a hard requirement for you. I’ve turned down some great candidates who no-longer want to be “burdened” by collaboration in-person.

Of course there are other companies which realized they could save a lot on office expenses by closing up shop and having everyone remote.

No one size fits all, but I guess my advice is to not miss on a good opportunity if it’s in person and otherwise suits your interest and experience.

roymunson

WKR
If you're willing to work, you'll land on your feet. Sounds like you have a really marketable set of skills.

I'm a business owner in the blue collar world where you have to sweat for your paycheck, and if you'll show up every day and put in 45-50 hours I can get you 70-90k a year with some benefits. you don't even need a high school degree.

Be willing to work.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think its because they are stupid. I work with all kinds of people that are so stupid its un believable. I honestly cannot believe I don't have to tie there shoes. I litterly have to watch everything they do like like a hawk.
I told my boss it would almost be easier to just do all 3 positions by myself rather then watch those dummies.

Litterly if I need to take a poop I almost have to put them in lock out tag out to keep them from screwing stuff up.
If they read this, you will be tying their shoes. :) Just be make sure you don't offer to wipe their ass.

Geewhiz

WKR
I think some of those 7 million men, or whatever the count is, are working in a non traditional setting. They're not W-2 employees and thus not being counted.
Oh, you mean like "content creators"?

I know 2 guys off the top of my head that are young (20s), fit, and healthy and as capable as anyone. Both of them suck off of the unemployment teat just because they can. The one just quit his full time job b/c he wants more free time. So now he will be working part time and only seasonally at that. Makes me want to vomit.

I just read two days ago that Mike Rowe, of dirty Jobs fame reported that 7 million men between the age of 25 thru 54 have taken themselves out if the work force, and are not actively looking for jobs. Hopefully that will help in your search for work. Best of luck. what the hell has happened, what happened to the good old work ethic this country was so famous for?????
It may not fit the narrative, but current economic realities are such that working can be really expensive, especially if you find yourself needing to pay for childcare.

We went through a period in my house where the financial burden of daycare with my wife and I working day jobs at the same time barely made sense. Throw in a career path (or two) that doesn't have flexible working hours (includes both white and blue collar careers, some that pay really well), and it's easy to imagine many scenarios where it doesn't make sense to have two people in a household working.

I know 2 guys off the top of my head that are young (20s), fit, and healthy and as capable as anyone. Both of them suck off of the unemployment teat just because they can. The one just quit his full time job b/c he wants more free time. So now he will be working part time and only seasonally at that. Makes me want to vomit.

Well, sure those would count. My buddy quit a W-2 job and is making multiple six figures working for himself. The way he's doing it....I doubt the government would conclude he is 'employed.' I'm thinking one man trades jobs, plumbing, HVAC, tile, concrete, stuff like that.

What's going on everyone,

Well, I got news last week that my position is being eliminated and I'll be laid off in 3 weeks, day before I was supposed to take a 2 week trip turkey hunting, which looks like will have to be canceled.

The job market is hit or miss these days and depends on industry. I am wondering if any of you know of anything available or if you're hiring yourself.

Bulk of my experience is in inventory management for retail (Cabela's and Target) and OEM demand planning/forecast management. I was also an outfitter for a while in Colorado as well.

We are moving to central Texas in 2 months so I am looking for stuff in the are but I've also been working remote for the last 3 years (like many others) so I'm hopeful for a remote position.

Would appreciate any and all leads or recommendations. I appreciate it everyone!
Where in TX? I know a lot of people who have moved there recently--it seems like there is a lot of opportunity in the metro areas. Hopefully you find the same is true!

roymunson

WKR

Or uber drivers, or cash day workers, or guys working and getting paid under the table. We live in a world with LOTS of people working gig jobs rather than 1 straight job. Gives a lot of flexibility. Not for me, but Its another way to skin the cat.

Personally, I think there are a lot of jobs that went remote due to COVID and many of those positions never worked their way back to a traditional in-person office setting.

Many companies want to see these employees come back to work, as culture suffered along with it. The more senior employees enjoy the space, but the less experienced hires are suffering from lack of collaboration and mentorship.

A lot of people suddenly feel entitled to a remote position and haven’t recognized that the narrative has flipped for many companies. If you have a prospective opportunity that’s local and in-person, I wouldn’t recommend leading with telling them you want to be fully remote… unless that’s a hard requirement for you. I’ve turned down some great candidates who no-longer want to be “burdened” by collaboration in-person.

Of course there are other companies which realized they could save a lot on office expenses by closing up shop and having everyone remote.

No one size fits all, but I guess my advice is to not miss on a good opportunity if it’s in person and otherwise suits your interest and experience.
You nailed it. I'd been working full remote for 5 years before COVID made it cool. I've also been with the same digital healthcare company for 14 years. Today is my anniversary ironically enough.

However, there are tons of green kids out there with freshly minted computer science degrees that think they "deserve" full remote jobs. The majority of kids in their early 20s that want to get into tech, tech project management, etc...., absolutely need to spend time in the trenches on a help desk or other entry level job before they start making demands. My stepson graduates with CS degree in May from the U of I. He's interviewing for jobs and is wondering if $55-60k is a good starting wage or if he should ask for more. SMH...

KsRancher

WKR
OK, enlighten me, what do they mean???? I have followed him for many years. I tend to agree with almost everything he says. One thing he says is the vocational and skilled trade jobs are plentiful, and not being filled. I say it is because people are LAZY, they would much rather sit home and let the govt. take care of them. LAZY.
I agree that people are lazy. But in my area labor jobs don't pay enough. Our local grain elevator is a BIG company. And they are always looking for help. But when you start out at $12-$14/hour and then have to pay your part of health insurance out of that. No one is interested in that. You can literally stock shelves at Walmart for that. If you can find a job for $17-$20/hr in my area. You are killing it

It may not fit the narrative, but current economic realities are such that working can be really expensive, especially if you find yourself needing to pay for childcare.

We went through a period in my house where the financial burden of daycare with my wife and I working day jobs at the same time barely made sense. Throw in a career path (or two) that doesn't have flexible working hours (includes both white and blue collar careers, some that pay really well), and it's easy to imagine many scenarios where it doesn't make sense to have two people in a household working.
Back in the day, my wife and I realized that her manufacturing salary was only really covering her car payment and a few groceries. She quit her job after 17 years and became a stay at home Mom for our 3 kids. Sure we had to sell her SUV, but we also no longer had to pay for childcare. My kids also always had one of us at EVERY sporting event or program and the vast majority of the time it was both of us. That was more than 7 years ago now and it was the best decision we ever made.

h2so4

WKR
If it is near any of the metro areas, check out Biotech / Pharmaceutical companies. If you PM me the city. I'm happy to make recommendations. These would likely be a pretty good fit for your experience.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Where in Central Texas are you moving to?
Well, prior to losing my job we were looking at New Braunfels, but now we are rather open depending on whether I find a job in the next few weeks that requires me to come into the office.

Little backstory on my situation.

For me, the last 3 years I have basically been full remote, with going into the office periodically. My family and I would take 3 months and go visit my parents on the coast and I would work while down there no problem, got my work done and my supervisors didn't really care.

A month ago my best friend killed him self. And it really shook us to the core. Watching that tragedy strike hit his wife and son was horrendous and seeing what they had to go through and they didn't have any family nearby to help. I mean they did come out and be with them but not quite the same. When my wife and I were processing all this we decided that it would be a good idea to go back and be close to our family for a while at least. We had never had a desire to move back to Texas but we just currently feel a pull to go spend some more time with them. My wife's position was transitioned to full remote 3 years ago so it was no big deal for her. I asked my boss, explained out reasoning and he was good with it and we thought we would be good to go. Well then he came back and said that it's been decided that my position is being eliminated and that my last day will be in 3 weeks.

So we are still going to go to Texas to be with family and that's why I'm tethered there. I'm looking for something nearby if I need to go into the office but I do want at least some flexibility with working from home and personally I would likely prefer something fully remote.

For me, I like being remote because it really lets me maximize my personal time. I get to have more time at home with my daughter, gives me more time to work with my dogs, and for big travel hunts, I usually head out a week ahead of time not wasting time off on driving and I'll scout mornings/evenings during the week before/after work.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
You nailed it. I'd been working full remote for 5 years before COVID made it cool. I've also been with the same digital healthcare company for 14 years. Today is my anniversary ironically enough.

However, there are tons of green kids out there with freshly minted computer science degrees that think they "deserve" full remote jobs. The majority of kids in their early 20s that want to get into tech, tech project management, etc...., absolutely need to spend time in the trenches on a help desk or other entry level job before they start making demands. My stepson graduates with CS degree in May from the U of I. He's interviewing for jobs and is wondering if $55-60k is a good starting wage or if he should ask for more. SMH...
I'd say the starting wage depends on the skills. $95-110k in software engineering with the right languages in his toolbox, even right out of college.

Go turkey hunting. You can scroll through help wanted ads from a blind just as well as from a couch.

When you do get a new job, you might not be in a position where you can take time off for a while.

It sounds like you only have about a month between ending your current job and moving.

If you could go turkey hunting for two weeks, I would assume you're in decent financial shape either way.

Personally, I would just go hunting for at least a week, maybe cut the two weeks short, and find the job afterwards.

Also, I would not be surprised if full remote work opportunities have peaked and are declining. You may have to fill the gap with something that requires in person attendance.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Go hunt!
You have three weeks to lay groundwork for your new employment opportunity. Make good use of that time and you should have something lined up in this job market. You should be readily able to outcompete much of the poor protoplasm that we sift through to find decent employees since the pandemic…