My Spine!

Hello everyone!

I have been blessed with my first compound bow this christmas with a half-dozen arrows.

My question is the arrows I got are 400 spine but everything I read is that I should be shooting 350-340 spine (I have a 30in draw at 60lbs). Although I have read about a couple people shooting 400 spine with 70lb draw at 29in.

What is your experience with this? I'm going to be getting it all tuned up soon so should I just wait and see how the 400s do with my my bow before giving up on them? Or should I play it safe and go get some 350-340s?

I plan on hunting mostly deer with it but I would like to dip my toes in some elk hunting eventually.

Thanks yall!

406unltd

WKR
I’d just get 350s cause they will Broadhead tune better anyhow. When in doubt shoot the stiffer option. Even then you will likely be on the edge of spine with a 100 grain head and the shaft cut to 28”. It would help to know what bow you’re shooting too.

If you can get your shaft length down to 28",it's not a speed bow, and it's not over 60# you might be alright with 400's. I'd generally recommend a 350/340. For field archery it will tune up and shoot fine, putting a broadhead on you will likely find problems. So if you decide to run with 400's I'd definitely not wait a few weeks before season to put broadheads on and test how they are flying.