My Trip Of A Life Time

This cooler weather does seem to have them wound up. More people will be heading out as season progresses. All that said only hunt your best spot when you know the conditions are perfect or you'll hate yourself because you knew better.

The last few days have been great. On Monday I had a scenario play out just like the year before. I had a bull I named the Growler last year, bugling down low in a drainage. Real distinct bugle. Up above him there was another mature bull bugling heading up the drainage. I tried cow calling him in and was within 150 yards or so but it seemed apparent he was pushing cows up the drainage and didnt want to come to me. A lot of chuckling at me. Any pointers on this situation would be awesome. The wind is heading down mountain at this time in the morning.

Yesterday was fun. Spotted a huge bull up above timberline with cows. Unfortunately hes in a spot I wouldnt be able to get him out by myself in time if I were to kill him. I then saw a good 5 point bull up above me several hundred yards away feeding in a rock slide. I cut the distance to within 150 yards of him and hole up in the black timber. I start cow calling and a spike runs in to 20 yards. That was a lot of fun. The 5 point never did come in.

My buddy Dustin came up last night to film today and help me out a bit. Ended up hearing a few week bugles but no bulls spotted. Im taking a two days off until our friend Adam is able to come up for the week, and then Dustin will be up for 10 days after that.

Im beat down physically but im having the time of my life still. Ive been playing it cool and keeping a low profile for the most part. Next week Ill be turning up the heat and getting it done. Just waiting for the perfect moment.

Nice work jon. Keep it up! Great call on leaving that bull you could not get out in time. That is really tough to do with the adrenaline pumping. Glad to hear you javing a blast... To the next one :beer:

Well fellas. It's done. Been packing meat and rack for 24 hours. Pope and young bull on the ground. I've accomplished my goal in a greater way than I had ever dreamed. Thank you for all the support.

Congrats brother! Glad I poked into this thread before crashing. Please post pics and details when you can. I'm happy for you!

Unfortunately none of the pics I took with my camera came out. And I didn't get much good footage. I was focused on the daunting task of getting such a huge animal out. It started raining and it was dark...elk hunting never goes as planned haha here's one for you guys. Couldn't tell you what he scores. I don't care either way.

2e5atu6e.jpg

It's no joke breaking one and getting it out by yourself excellent work thanks for letting me come along on your adventure. How about a few details

Back