My turn...Shred my Gear List

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t see a mid layer but you removed the kanati. I was going to suggest a lighter mid, not eliminate it. It’s listed as 21oz, a simple fleece will be about half that.

Overall I think you’re at the point of the trip telling you what to change. If you want to get crazy I see several things that would drop another five pounds but it would also cost a lot.
After thinking more about it, once I updated my list and removed the Kanati, I want to bring a mid-layer with...something to throw on that isn't quite that heavy, but will be an extra layer of warmth when hiking around instead of hiking with the down jacket.

So I'm going to look at more options of lighter weight base layers/tops that I can combine...from your list, you roll with 2 Peloton 97s, and you must feel like the combination of those two layers keeps you comfortable while moving around?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
After thinking more about it, once I updated my list and removed the Kanati, I want to bring a mid-layer with...something to throw on that isn't quite that heavy, but will be an extra layer of warmth when hiking around instead of hiking with the down jacket.

So I'm going to look at more options of lighter weight base layers/tops that I can combine...from your list, you roll with 2 Peloton 97s, and you must feel like the combination of those two layers keeps you comfortable while moving around?

Just one for hard hikes or before dumping camp gear. When sneaking around the woods both. Lots of timber where the sun doesn’t warm it up really quick. They don’t block any wind which is good and bad. Good because a slight breeze cools you and dries the thin fabric. Using it as mid over a thin ss merino was a disappointment because of the zero wind block. So I sold it (needed a different size) and bought two more.

The Sitka core light weight hoodie might be something to consider also. Mine was an older model (think they’re revamped this year). It’s more durable, slight wind block, zero warmth. That was the kicker for me to try the 97, the core lwh was better for warmer, sunnier terrain. I do miss the hood and face mask though. I think it weighs 7.5 oz for a large.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you have some things on there that I would probably leave but this is just me..

Pillow (just use puffy jacket or stuff sack)
SOL emergency bivy (start a fire)
Pump dry sack (blow up with mouth)
26 oz bag bags (lol this was obviously a typo)
Pencil sharpener (could use knife to sharpen)
Towelettes (brought a towel on my first hunt and never used it)
Mirror (is this for signaling?)
Finger nail clippers (trim before you go)
Tacticam (take pics with phone)
Face paint (use mud)

I’ll give my opinion.

Ditch the plastic sheet in your kill kit you have a garbage bag if you even need that.
Ditch the flagging tape
Keep the 50ft of cord for your kill kit nothing else unless you need a bear bag
Switch to a mini bic wrap it in Leuko tape. Tape your areas of concern before you leave.
Ditch matches, get a few wetfire tabs
Pencil sharpener? What for?
You don’t need a ton of tenacious tape take a 5x5 square
Ditch the whole roll of Leuko
Ditch the flashlight you have a headlamp
Ditch the mirror
Ditch the cotton tee, crocs and clippers. Clip your nails before you go.
Why two dirty bags? Is water hard to get?
Ditch the treatment tabs you have a sawyer

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the help thus far everyone...definitely giving me things to consider/debate!

Figured I might explain my thought process on a few things, that many are telling me to leave behind, and let people tell me it makes some sense or I'm wrong and should leave them at home/the truck.

Plastic sheet - very lightweight piece of painters/cover plastic, about a 5'x4' section...thought if we happened to get lucky, this might allow us to lay the meat down as we're cutting up an elk and getting it bagged up...?

Flagging tape - I only wrapped up about 5-6' worth, but ounces add up to pounds, so maybe I'll leave it out.

Leuko tape - I took maybe a quarter of a roll in the past, but likely have enough left on that to get me a few more years...that stuff is golden!

Flashlight - it's a lightweight led with a solid amount of power, so I'm going to keep it with me and go to a lighter weight headlamp...the flashlight has been used around camp a lot to help illuminate the area while allowing everyone to conserve their headlamp.

Mirror & Emergency Bivy - both are for shtf scenarios...I like being prepared, but maybe it's overthinking and I shouldn't be as concerned since we're not planning on hiking in 10+ miles away from any roads.

Dirty water bags - likely will bring only one.

Water treatment tabs - very lightweight and a backup in case my Sawyer goes down for any reason.

Loving all the input - hoping to continue getting more to really dial in my gear list (and make me more comfortable with trimming a few more items to shave even more weight)! Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the help thus far everyone...definitely giving me things to consider/debate!

Figured I might explain my thought process on a few things, that many are telling me to leave behind, and let people tell me it makes some sense or I'm wrong and should leave them at home/the truck.

Plastic sheet - very lightweight piece of painters/cover plastic, about a 5'x4' section...thought if we happened to get lucky, this might allow us to lay the meat down as we're cutting up an elk and getting it bagged up...?

Flagging tape - I only wrapped up about 5-6' worth, but ounces add up to pounds, so maybe I'll leave it out.

Leuko tape - I took maybe a quarter of a roll in the past, but likely have enough left on that to get me a few more years...that stuff is golden!

Flashlight - it's a lightweight led with a solid amount of power, so I'm going to keep it with me and go to a lighter weight headlamp...the flashlight has been used around camp a lot to help illuminate the area while allowing everyone to conserve their headlamp.

Mirror & Emergency Bivy - both are for shtf scenarios...I like being prepared, but maybe it's overthinking and I shouldn't be as concerned since we're not planning on hiking in 10+ miles away from any roads.

Dirty water bags - likely will bring only one.

Water treatment tabs - very lightweight and a backup in case my Sawyer goes down for any reason.

Loving all the input - hoping to continue getting more to really dial in my gear list (and make me more comfortable with trimming a few more items to shave even more weight)! Thanks!

Plastic sheet only serves one purpose, laying meat. Contractor bag does that plus allows you to creek dump meat if needed, could be used to transport water in a pinch, emergency poncho, rain skirt, pack liner. It’s an either or thing imo but you can’t turn the sheet into a bag whereas you can cut the the bag open if needed.

Bring the water tabs. I’m still using a sawyer but have had them go down in the field. Pretty sure one was a manufacturer defect.

Sol bivy I don’t know but I bring mine sometimes.

Mirror, I don’t anymore. My knife is a mirror.

Flagging tape, six feet doesn’t weigh anything but a full roll is overkill.

Leukotape. Reason I I bring a whole roll is because with it’s many uses it goes fast. I use quite a bit as a preventative on my feet.

I think I was the only one supporting the flashlight. If you do make sure that between the two you are getting what you want not just duplicating.

I don’t see any red flags in your kit. After the trip you can decide what to nitpick. Big money spent on light weight pack, bag, shelter and clothing is where you will get more weight reduction. Fine tuning the odds and ends is maybe 1-2lbs at this point.

OP
Wisco_LOT

Wisco_LOT

Lil-Rokslider
Plastic sheet only serves one purpose, laying meat. Contractor bag does that plus allows you to creek dump meat if needed, could be used to transport water in a pinch, emergency poncho, rain skirt, pack liner. It’s an either or thing imo but you can’t turn the sheet into a bag whereas you can cut the the bag open if needed.

Bring the water tabs. I’m still using a sawyer but have had them go down in the field. Pretty sure one was a manufacturer defect.

Sol bivy I don’t know but I bring mine sometimes.

Mirror, I don’t anymore. My knife is a mirror.

Flagging tape, six feet doesn’t weigh anything but a full roll is overkill.

Leukotape. Reason I I bring a whole roll is because with it’s many uses it goes fast. I use quite a bit as a preventative on my feet.

I think I was the only one supporting the flashlight. If you do make sure that between the two you are getting what you want not just duplicating.

I don’t see any red flags in your kit. After the trip you can decide what to nitpick. Big money spent on light weight pack, bag, shelter and clothing is where you will get more weight reduction. Fine tuning the odds and ends is maybe 1-2lbs at this point.

Appreciate it Sir!!!

HuntWyld

WKR
Ide ditch the face paint and mirror unless your real into it. Not necessary to be lethal. I always bring scent killer deodorant, not because I think scent killers work, but because I can’t stand stinking like BO