My Version of Run and Gun

OP
D

djones

FNG
thanks! shooting a 300 ham'r. relatively new chambering by wilson combat. 125gr tnt over 2600 fps in a 223 case. scope is a trijicon mark3. not much escapes the thermal... at least as far as seeing it anyway, lol

Beendare

WKR
Thats cool.

Good view from that scope. Approximately how far out are you from those hogs?

How do you get the video from the scope?

OP
D

djones

FNG
i was about to lay into them at 75 yards, but the coyotes started howling, and the pigs coveyed up about 25 yards back. i didn't chance getting closer since the yotes put them on alert, so i'd say they were about 100 yards when i cut loose. it's hard for me to judge distance with thermal. it's really hard from just watching a vid cuz you don't know what magnification you're seeing. my scope is 4.5x base magnification. i don't zoom very often because it throws my lead off... that is, they seem closer than they are, lol

i sneak up using a pvs14. it doesn't have any magnification, so i can keep an eye on them while i'm closing in, as well as see where i'm going. being 1x, it's much easier to judge distance through.

the mk3 doesn't have internal recording, so i have a mini dvr strapped to the stock with a vid cable running to the vid out port of the scope. records on an sd card.

that pulsar is really nice. i have a couple friends who use the xp50 trail. very feature rich.

here's a few shots from last month...

That is how you get shit done, the aerobatics in slow mo are pretty sweet. Any Ranches you'd recommend to shoot hogs on?

OP
D

djones

FNG
texas has lots of hogs. i'd suggest an outfitter who specializes in night hunting. i like getting stuff from ultimatenightvision. since they sell the equipment, they have a lot of contacts. i don't know if they guide, but they could probably recommend someone.

one guy i know of is jeremy simpson. his guide service is called high plains hunts. he can supply all the guns and gear. he has a facebook page with pics of piles of hogs. if i were taking a friend out, i'd contact them and see who's available.

Last edited:
OP
D

djones

FNG
glad you like them. yes, thunderbeast ultra 7.

cpl more from earlier this week...