Mystery Ranch beartooth 80 vs marshall

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
I have access to both, I've used the beartooth 80 and I love it but on longer like 7-10 day hunts it would be nice to have the extra room. Has anyone used both and prefers one or the other? The marshall is only a pound extra so I guess it's not that much heavier.

fatlander

WKR
The Marshall is cavernous. It doesn’t pack down nearly as small as the bear tooth and it’s a bit on the floppy side once you’ve dropped camp and food. I’d go with the bear tooth and carry extra food on the load shelf until you get to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AFmaryland

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
The Marshall is cavernous. It doesn’t pack down nearly as small as the bear tooth and it’s a bit on the floppy side once you’ve dropped camp and food. I’d go with the bear tooth and carry extra food on the load shelf until you get to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I'm going to test it out this summer, I haven't used the shelf for gear in the past not sure why!

I’m a bigger fan of the Marshall over the beartooth. I don’t care for the zippers on the beartooth, and like the added room with the Marshall, even if I don’t use it initially.

I've had both, sold the Marshall for the Beartooth and I regret it. What stands out is the zippery duffel design feels weak by comparison to the Marshalls more traditional layout. With that said, the Marshall is HUGE, and doesn't pack down well like stated above. I currently have the bear tooth, pintler and mule. I'd like another Marshall but am going to pull the Kifaru trigger next and get a Hoodlum.

If you're going to overfill the bear tooth, I'd rather take the Marshall. Colder weather it's great especially if you're taking some layers and not to mention a big spotter.

im opposite of the way everyone seems to feel on this thread, I prefer the beartooth, even for out to a 10 day hunt out of the 2 , main reason is for day hunting once camp is set up the beartooth compresses way nicer and less bulky then the marshall does when its not full. beartooth is 5185 cubic inches vs the marshal 6400 cubic inches, i can fit 10-12 days in both my beartooth 80 and my Stone glacier sky 5900, on the flip side of the coin you see some revies of the SKY archer 6400 or the talus 6900 being to small for some people on a 5 day hunt. so the point of this is it really depends how you pack and prioritize but for me the beartooth is a far better pack then the Marshall .